How to verify SNMP is working correctly

heavenlykid

Limp Gawd
Can any one tell me how to verify Snmp is working correctly on a windows box. And can I add I hate windows.

MIB walk?

-or- you could just make some changes and see if the right things happen.

MIB walk?

-or- you could just make some changes and see if the right things happen.

whats mib walk? i need snmp to work on windows boxes so nagios monitor can chec them. problem is i dont know how to check snmp to make sure its working right

whats mib walk? i need snmp to work on windows boxes so nagios monitor can chec them. problem is i dont know how to check snmp to make sure its working right

Why not just manually run the nagios snmp check?

However MIB walk run locally will eliminate network issues such as local firewall. I do not know the windows command for it however I am sure there is one, just google for it.

port 25 is SMTP....he's trying for SNMP.

go to www.ireasoning.com and download their MIB/SNMP browser. Run the application and and enter the IP address where applicable...then perform a "walk"...it should start spitting out values at you. Whatever you are using as an Agent should also come with a .mib file you can load into your MIB browser.

port 25 is SMTP....he's trying for SNMP.

go to www.ireasoning.com and download their MIB/SNMP browser. Run the application and and enter the IP address where applicable...then perform a "walk"...it should start spitting out values at you. Whatever you are using as an Agent should also come with a .mib file you can load into your MIB browser.

run this on the host or the client ???

port 161 fails connection
port 12489 jus goes to a flashing cursor and also port 5666 goes to a flashin cursor

run this on the host or the client ???

you can run it on either. if you run it on the server/host, then instead of the IP, you can enter "localhost" and that will for sure test to see if snmp is working. run the application on a client and enter the host's IP and you'll make sure snmp is working and there are no firewalls blocking.

ok i think my problem is in the firewall but what other ports do i need open i currently have 12489 and 5666 open to and from the host and client even when i run the mib browser to there ip addresses it times out to both machines

ok i lied i ran Mib browser on the client from the client meaning i nstalled it on my client and tried to check my client with it. Snmp fails connection. i do not know how to install it on the host because the host is a ubuntu server all texted based. but mak a long story short if i cant connect to it from itself what did i install wrong. i have installed nsclient++ and added in windows components SNMP not sure what im doing wrong

what did you install on the host (linux)?
what did you install on the client (windows)?
is the host behind a router?

SNMP generally works off of port 161 and 162. 161 is when the client talks to the host for information or configuration. 162 is when the host is sending out traps/data to an alerting manager on its own.

Open 161 for the host. Install the iReasoning MIB browser on the windows PC, enter in the host's IP, perform a walk.

Back