How to use IP Phone on Wifi Network

saku

Limp Gawd
Hey Guys,I'm about to move to a new condo and I can get free wifi access through the complex. I need to use a company issued IP phone at home for work. I have it connected directly into my router and I think the phone requires an ethernet jack to work. Can someone tell my options outside of buying internet service?

Here is the phone I'm using:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+phone+Mitel+5220

Thanks, bros.

If anyone has experience with this type of advice... I'm curious as to how the device would access the password protected wifi network. Would I first have to connect my laptop to configure the network password for access and then connect it to the phone?

Nevermind found my answer in the feedback section in Newegg. Thank you guys!!

"Pros: Very easy to use. All I needed to do was connect this to a laptop via CAT5 cable, then change the settings to match the router. Works with Blu-ray player, Directv DVR, or XBOX 360.

Cons: Hey Netgear, you need to make one of these with a built-in 4 port switch so you can connect Blu-ray player, DVR, LCD-TV, and game console simultaneously!! I hate switching CAT5 cables."

I have several D-Link DAP-1522's and they're great. A bit more than the device you were looking at, but they're also 4 port vs. 1 so that might have it's plusses for you. Mine's bridged to my DIR-655, but I don't see why you couldn't use it to connect to your apartment wifi, though I personally think it's a bad idea. I'd much prefer my own internet service vs. joining a network offered to all of the residents (but then again I'm a bit paranoid)--especially if this is for work. If they're requiring you to use their VOIP phone, they should be providing you with an expense budget for a reliable internet service. The security implications of just adding your assets to a network like that are pretty risky in my opinion. I didn't read through the specs of your phone, but you should confirm that it doesn't require power over ethernet before you buy anything.

Thanks for the response, webdes03. I'm looking into the DAP-1522. You're right that I should thinking about the security implications of joining a shared network and I'm paranoid about that because of the type of data I manage, even with the VPN in mind.

I was thinking that I could buy a device that could create my own secure network with the shared internet access, then again, I am not too knowledgeable about networking. I do get a $50 stipend for monthly internet so I been thinking about going with Comcast or Clear. It's only a 6 month lease so I am weighing my options.

So realistically I don't know anything about what you do, but the say you said "the type of data I manage", if the security is at all in question, ie outside of the public domain, I don't think I'd even consider using this shared service. You're at the mercy of whatever firewall solution and port rules they have on their service, and that won't protect you from anyone else that's got the key and already inside the network. To even consider using it you'd need your own firewall in place. If you get a $50 stipend, get your own service. It'll be far more reliable and far more secure than any home-grown solution of a wireless bridge to a firewall to an access point. There's probably things you can to to mitigate the risk, but nothing without spending more on hardware and really planning it out.

I can't speak to Comcast or Clear, but I know you can get Road Runner (as rubbish as it is) from Time Warner without a contract commitment, and AT&T U-Verse is also contract free (though may not be available where you are). Both are good options if you're worried about signing a service contract when you've only got a 6 month lease.

if u already have a router that dd-wrt will work on it can be set as a wifi client then u can connect the phone to the ports on the back

Thanks, webdes03. You've convinced me. I looking into buying a my own internet service. My work involves accessing CRM databases for a number of very large financial and tech organizations and a breach of security would mean my job and most likely some type of legal action. The risk is just not worth it.

The reality is that I am a cheap ass and I don't like to pay for stuff when I don't have to, even if it's not even my money! You guys were really helpful, thanks.

Back