How to use 2 static ip address on one server? Network experts

hevnbnd

Limp Gawd
Looking for some networking experts. I now have two static ip address from my isp. I am wanting to run direct Access on my server 2008 r2 box. I am not sure how to set up my router and two nics on my server. I currently have both nics with static ipv4 address, but think I want to use one for internal and another one for external. Not sure what to do with the router either. Thanks any help would be greatly appritiated.

In most cases the reason you would need more than one IP on the server is due to port binding. What are you going to do with the two IPs? If you are going to use one nic as internal the both IPs will need to be bound to the external nic. When you say router are you meaning a commercial class network traffic router or a simple wireless NAT/firewall router?

IF you are using a wireless router you need to set its external WAN to one of the IP addresses. Also depending on model you can bind additional IPs to that router so it will accept traffic destined for that host and pass it through to your server. You would want to set your server up with some internal IPs and do the port forwarding to translate/map the public external IP addresses into your internal private IP addresses. I recommend setting the server up in the DMZ outside of your internal network ip range. There is some pertinent info missing for me to give a more concise response.

What's your modem? Being able to use additional public IPs from the block from your ISP, they probably gave you a business grade modem. How you setup your network to utilize additional IPs depends on your ISP and what equipment they have given you, it can vary.

You want to stick your Windows box directly on a public IP? Yikes! I'd always want it behind NAT.

I am running Direct Access. It requires at least two consecutive static, public IPv4 addresses. I am running a RV016 router and this is a buis account. I am not sure on the modem. It is just a standard centurylink modem. They are actually giving us 6 ips addresses.

I've never setup Direct Access, but if I'm reading the requirements right, the Direct Access server needs to be directly connected to the internet. In this case the simplest way would be to put the put the DA server and your router in "parallel". You have six IP's available, so assign one to the outside interface of your router and two to your DA server. Then connect both devices to your ISP connection with a separate switch. This would be your "outside" network. Then connect the 2nd NIC on your DA server to one of the "inside" switch ports on your RV016. That's pretty much it.

You could possibly create both the inside and outside networks all on the RV016 with VLANs if you know how to work with VLANs

Got a pic to show this? I am a little lost with your description. Thanks

diagram.jpg

Here.

Back