How to: Upgrade your motherboard without reinstalling Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283079

So I found that and tried to make the .inf file in windows recovery console and it just isn't working. Recovery console sucks, it can make the file but it can't open it to edit.

I tried turning off ACPI support on my board and trying, still no go.

I tried using the winXP cd to repair my windows install and it said it worked but on reboot I still get the mini-setup window with no mouse or cursor.

I would just boot into dos but the only CD burner in the house is on my computer and all 3 of my computers have had floppy drives at one time, but none of them work.

Ideas?

Good tip, just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Sysprep 2.0 is meant for XP only, you do need Sysprep 1.1.

Another point that you may want to edit and add to your initial post, not sure if it's mentioned in later posts, deploy.cab is on every 2000 and XP CD that is OEM. Upgrade CDs may not have it, I can't say for certain.

The_Mage18 said:
Good tip, just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Sysprep 2.0 is meant for XP only, you do need Sysprep 1.1.

Another point that you may want to edit and add to your initial post, not sure if it's mentioned in later posts, deploy.cab is on every 2000 and XP CD that is OEM. Upgrade CDs may not have it, I can't say for certain.
They do. ;)

Just wondering...

I bought my machine in South America, and when I moved to the US and got BB it wouldn't let me install SP1. Apparently (or obviously...), I got the machine without a legit copy of XP Pro and I have yet to pick one up, though if need be I guess I'll have to when I get my new build but all I see so far is XP Upgrades? Anyways...

If I get the sysprep setup off the windows site can I transfer my current OS to the new mobo even without SP1?

-wil

Phoenix86 said:
This process is no different than creating a syspreped system for OEMs, except it's not being used on several machines, just one. The 1 image I have created at work, works on every piece of hardware in the company except really old laptops, P-IIs that we don't even use for XP (API-ACPI/HAL issue, don't beat me up if I got the acronyms wrong, it's been a long day :) ).

Anyways, I guess I'm saying that compatibility issues are few and far between in my experience.

Why do you say 2k is less forgiving? I haven't had anymore issues with it than XP.
I have certain WIN2K sysprepped images at work that won't even boot on pc's with the same chipset as the original image had. I would put a huge "BACK UP YOUR HDD FIRST" message at the front of your sticky if I were you. You may have a few more disgruntled people showing you screenshots of their BSOD's.

Phoenix86 said:
"When swapping out motherboards it's common practice to reinstall the OS (windows), because of a chipset incompatibility, this is unnecessary.
That's a bold statement :)

I read the whole article...some really good stuff in here. I must have missed where this utility is..Is it part of windows? or do I need to downlaod it?
Thanks

seanmcd said:
I have certain WIN2K sysprepped images at work that won't even boot on pc's with the same chipset as the original image had. I would put a huge "BACK UP YOUR HDD FIRST" message at the front of your sticky if I were you. You may have a few more disgruntled people showing you screenshots of their BSOD's.
Meh, I cover the likely/possible BSODs in the OP. I expect people to be responsible for their own machines. Besides, as I said before, if this doesn't work, you can still do the repair method to recover the install. Even if that doesn't work, your not much worse off than before you knew about the process, and have to re-format... Remember this is an alternate to having to do just that, backup/format/install/restore.

How's that statement a bold one? I'm simple saying that many people think they have to format/reinstall when swapping out mobos, and that isn't necessary. Incompatibilities otherwise will always exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back