How to: Upgrade your motherboard without reinstalling Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clean cleans up the phantom device tree:

Removing Phantom Devices

To remove references to devices that were present in the master computer, run Sysprep -clean. This requires a valid [Cleanup] section in Sysprep.inf. Running this command cleans out unused mass-storage drivers added by the [SysprepMassStorage] section of Sysprep.inf and removes references to phantom devices created by Plug and Play. Otherwise, these entries can cause problems when you attempt to install new devices. Sysprep -clean removes all phantom devices except:
  1. HTREE\ROOT\0 (the root of the Plug and Play tree)
  2. SWENUM devices (software-enumerated devices that don't have any hardware backing them). Because these are not installed from the presence of hardware, it is best not to remove them.
  3. Legacy devnodes (devnodes created by the presence of legacy services).
Note:
  • If the [SysprepMassStorage] section already exists in your Sysprep.inf file, and you run Sysprep -factory, then Sysprep -reseal automatically cleans Device Manager. (That is, Sysprep removes references to devices that are no longer present.) This saves you the extra step of running Sysprep -clean in the Cmdlines.txt file.

I'm not so sure I understand these HAL types. My scenario:

I'm running a P4 1.7Ghz 400FSB on a genuine Intel i850 chipset board. i850 uses the old RDRAM that never caught on.

I'm wanting to switch to an Asus P4C800-E Dlx board (i875P chipset) with new DDR ram. I'm going to use the same CPU for now. (I'll plop a P4 3.0E w/ HT 800FSB in it in a month or two.)

Does my plan sound like the Sysprep method will work? Should I have the same "HAL"s?

NOTES: I don't use RAID, SCSI, or anything fancy... just simple IDE drives. I also don't have internet. I have WinXP Pro with service pack 2. (Had Microsoft mail me the disc since I'm not online @ home). I've built a lot of machines in the past, but never tried to do it without bombing the HDD with a format. Also, my HDD is partitioned into a small C: that is reserved for just the OS, then all of my big files and games are on D:, and I have a 2nd smaller HDD that I use to store photos, etc.. So if I have to format C: it's not the end of the world.. I just want to avoid it.

It may not be the best method, but this has worked going from an AMD 760 board to a 440BX and then to a KT600. Simply boot into safe mode, let it install all of the drivers and then reboot.

This may not be the place but I am going to ask anyway being that a few of you know what you are taking about and might be able to help me. Anywho here goes...Is there any program or easy way to change the Product ID Key on a system? I have a image made from ghost that I use to save time when building systems. I have a copy of the OS for each image I build and would like to change the Product Key for each OS i build. BTW this is for Windows 2000 not XP as I have found a Product Key Modifier. Any help would be appreciated ;)

MrJekyll said:
This may not be the place but I am going to ask anyway being that a few of you know what you are taking about and might be able to help me. Anywho here goes...Is there any program or easy way to change the Product ID Key on a system? I have a image made from ghost that I use to save time when building systems. I have a copy of the OS for each image I build and would like to change the Product Key for each OS i build. BTW this is for Windows 2000 not XP as I have found a Product Key Modifier. Any help would be appreciated ;)
When you sysprep the box, you can enter a new product key during minisetup.

I started up sysprep 2.0 and I don't see a PnP option, unless your talking about the detect non plug and play option. Also when I reseal it says that I have chosen to regenerate security ID's and this is only needed if I plan to make an image back, so is that right or should I check that box?

97_max_se said:
I started up sysprep 2.0 and I don't see a PnP option, unless your talking about the detect non plug and play option. Also when I reseal it says that I have chosen to regenerate security ID's and this is only needed if I plan to make an image back, so is that right or should I check that box?
Yes, detect plug and play. It's actually not needed on all machines, and adds a couple minutes to the re-detect process. However, it's there for the people who do need it, so I didn't have to explain the difference. As I said it only adds a couple of minutes to the process for those who don't need it, so that's why it's there for all.

I select to reseal the machine, I believe you can do without. It does more than just change the SIDs though.

Here, is a link to some better descriptions of the switches. Yes the doc is for 2k3, so there may be some differences. I'm betting it hasn't been changed much, at best there are some new switches.

Ok i have a situation that differs from everyone else's post.

the computer is a windows 2000 server with an adapte scsi controller and a 9.1 gig scsi hdd. the drive is out of space. what i need to do clone the install over to either an e-ide hdd or a sata drive. then i need to pull the scsi hdd from the system and boot from either a sata or e-ide hdd. now i am thinking image the drive with norton ghost to another scsi hdd. boot the system from that drive and then run sys prep on it. this is an important server with a pile of data on it that i absoultly CANNOT LOOSE. anyone try this before?

kernal_panic,

Backups my man, backups... First rule to critical data.

OK, I don't have experience with that scenario, so maybe others can chime in on the SCSI->SATA. However, after you backup the system, I would reverse the last couple of steps you list. I would sysprep the machine *before* you boot it on the new hardware. Oh, make sure you backup the system, did I mention that? ;)

I had very limited success with changing make and model of motherboards using sysprep, I keep getting BSOD when rebooting. I have made many attempts following all the guidlines that I have read here and on other sites. I have mostly been trying to change it with Windows 2000, so this may have something to do with it.

The following method does however work for me:

1. With the computer running in Windows and with old motherboard still intact insert the CD for the OS and take the upgrade option.

2. When it shutdown the first time to do a reboot and finish the reinstall, stop the computer and change the motherboards.

3. Reboot once motherboard is installed and the reinstall will continue and it is done. Each of the times I have done this none of my configured software was effected, but I still recommend that essential files are backed up, just incase.

This has worked for me with both Windows 2000 Pro and Server. This takes about 30 minutes to do and so far I have had no problems.

[OffTopic]i have an ide to usb cable, which i planned to use to reformat and install windows xp off my hard drive for when repairing friends computers and such. well, i did it once, and when i tried putting the drive back in my friends comp, it woudnt work. well, i found out why... so will this program be able to make the hdds i install windows from my comp work on the comps im trying to fix??[/OffTopic]

anyways, thanks alot for the guide. pretty soon im going to be transferring parts from a dell i have to a new case, so ill be needing a new mobo. this will come in handy.

Great guide - thx :)

But need a litle help here

Did the sysprep and seal - changed motherboard and it started the minisetup - however the setup hang on preparing networkcomponents. After some time I restarted and it ran the setup again and again hang on preparing networkcomponenets. Restarted again but unfortunately booted into safe mode by mistake. Restarted and now it no longer starts the minisetup but simply tries to load windows - ending up with an errormessage that the system is not fully installed and I shall run setup again. This happens everytime I reboot.

Is it somehow possible to manually start the sysprepped minisetup again to try and finish the setup?

Thanks, your welcome. :)

I would re-run sysprep, and just restart the process.

Since I flamed you in various other threads I feel I need to compensate for that. So I think this is a very nice guide. This should help out many people. ;)

Phoenix86 said:
Thanks, your welcome. :)

I would re-run sysprep, and just restart the process.

Thx for the answer - but I dont see how I can do that ?
I have changed motherboard and it wont let me into windows to run sysprep - can I run sysprep from a commandline after booting on an XP install cd ?

spawn said:
Thx for the answer - but I dont see how I can do that ?
I have changed motherboard and it wont let me into windows to run sysprep - can I run sysprep from a commandline after booting on an XP install cd ?
Hmm, maybe if I read everything the first time... Can you enter in safe mode and run it from there?

Phoenix86 said:
Hmm, maybe if I read everything the first time... Can you enter in safe mode and run it from there?
Do not run sysprep.exe from safe mode. That is very unsupported. Do, insert your windows XP Cd and do a repair install.

Did a repair install - and everything is fine - all my profiles and software is working.
Did have to put in passwords for my emailaccounts again - and naturally reinstall servicepack 2 which I did first.

All is well :)

thx everyone.

Ranma_Sao said:
Do not run sysprep.exe from safe mode. That is very unsupported. Do, insert your windows XP Cd and do a repair install.
Good to know, thanks.

upon replacing the motherboard (a new biostar pm800 mini-atx) I had some problems getting the cpu to work properly (it wasn't seated correctly). Before realizing the seating was my problem I had restarted the computer several times. When I did get the computer up and running, sysprep did not come up. In fact windows does not come up; there is the windows loading screen for .5 seconds then a bluescreen flashes with text and the computer restarts.

I've got a windows CD, but don't have much experience with repairing windows using it. I read on this thread that people have had luck using the windows CD repair feature or system restore. When I try to repair it brings me to a prompt that allows me to access c:/windows and then I can type come commands, but this does little to get the computer back up. Beyond that, if there is any way to use system restore without having to load windows, then please lmk.

I'm using windows home ed., with a celeron, and 512mb ram. Any wisdom or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm wondering why when running Sysprep 2, under WinXP Home, that my options under Flags for PNP, and Mini-Setup are greyed out?

Anyone have an idea how you could run Sysprep on a functional W2000 hard disk if you can't boot into the drive ?

I have a completely loaded W2K drive and had a motherboard failure. I have an image for backup, but this image is not syspreped.
I want to boot the drive on a backup computer (different mobo) and eventually use it on a new motherboard. I tried it on the backup system, going from AMD1800 / Asus A7V8X to an older Plll / Abit BF6, but of course it won't load W2K.

I'm almost positive it's the IDE controller driver, one of the crucial drivers that the Sysprep PnP detection routine would have changed. I checked in the drives that had been running on both systems and the hal, ntkrnlpa, and ntoskrnl are the same.

So far I've tried running a W2K repair, and safe boot, to no avail. I have to figure out how to change that controller driver.

I thought maybe I'd piggyback it on another drive I can boot from, or make a BartPE bootable disk, and try to Sysprep it from there, but as far as I know sysprep has to be run on the system you've booted into.

Any ideas?

Also, Ranma_Sao - you there? I have a couple of questions.

Unless you can boot to windows you can't run sysprep. I would have though safe mode OK, but Ranma_Sao warns against it. However, if it were last ditch, I'd give it a whirl. I have used sysprep to fix "other" driver issues, but that was on a bootable load (sound drivers that weren't preventing OS bootup).

Good Luck.

Hi all.
I've 'syspreped' my hard drive but after boot n when the Windows Configuration Wizard appears, the keyboard n the mouse don't responde .
What is the problem? I followed every step in the first post, no errors no nothing. :rolleyes:

Im coming from a Soyo dragon plus with a 1700+ and a 200 gb wd hard drive to a gigabyte k8ns-939 NForce 3 with a 3000+ I tried to just hook up the new mobo and booting but it just reboots, I put it back in the original computer and XP came up just fine, so I ran sysrep and put the drive back in the new machine and boot it up and still getting the eternal reboot. Anyone have any ideas? I was going to try the repair install but none of my XP cds seem to be able to do it. I have tried XP pro regular and XP pro with sp1. Is there a specific version I need to use?

zArt said:
Hi all.
I've 'syspreped' my hard drive but after boot n when the Windows Configuration Wizard appears, the keyboard n the mouse don't responde .
What is the problem? I followed every step in the first post, no errors no nothing. :rolleyes:

Are you using a usb keyboard and mouse? if so windows might not recognize them untill it installs the driver for the usb ports.

I've been doing a little research on Sysprep while trying to figure out my question above and I found some links that might be of help to others.

And thanks Phoenix86 for starting this thread - it's a great tool and there's really a lot of good info on the previous pages. Thanks for your reply to my #63 question as well. I think I'm just going to have to get the same mobo on Ebay to boot it.

dentaku said:
Are you using a usb keyboard and mouse? if so windows might not recognize them untill it installs the driver for the usb ports.

Nop. They're both PS2 n they work fine when in BIOS. I'm gonna visit some of the links that 'kbarb' (thanks) posted n look for a similar prob, anyway if any of you have a clue of what is happening please post.

TIA

Acording to what i've read the prob could be that i'm moving the Windows from a PIII platform to an AMD platform in this case AMD64.
But i'm not sure since the only prob is as i described in my first post.

Cya

kbarb, Sorry your having so many issues, and I'll take a look at those links when time permits and add what's missing to the original post. I noticed there are several new sysprep documents out on technet so always remember to check back.

Good Luck.

dentaku said:
Im coming from a Soyo dragon plus with a 1700+ and a 200 gb wd hard drive to a gigabyte k8ns-939 NForce 3 with a 3000+ I tried to just hook up the new mobo and booting but it just reboots, I put it back in the original computer and XP came up just fine, so I ran sysrep and put the drive back in the new machine and boot it up and still getting the eternal reboot. Anyone have any ideas? I was going to try the repair install but none of my XP cds seem to be able to do it. I have tried XP pro regular and XP pro with sp1. Is there a specific version I need to use?

Solved my own problem, it was related to the hal.dll not playing well with the dynamic drive overlay installed over the drive. Used the WD utility to take it off and it let me do a repair install after that.

Ok, I have a question about this, since this is used for delpoying windows to many machines, how would I go about keeping this HD on this computer, but deploying this HD's windows to another computer? I basically want to put this HD image with windows on another PC. I want all my programs and personal customized setting to still be on the new rig

Running XP Home SP2, sysprep 2.0. Cannot select the PnP or MiniSetup flags as they are greyed out.
What'd I do wrong now?

Sorry, found the answer in a previous post. Musta screwed up my search!

I tried that and I can't boot windows, I get that blue screen :(

bsod.jpg

Can anyone PLEASE help, what info do you need?

Image that you applied didn't have a mass storage driver for the machine you are on.

This error is covered in the first post.

Follow this link. I would recommend an in-place upgrade. Make sure to patch your machine after you run the in-place upgrade. If you have SP2 installed, create a slipstreamed SP2 install disk so you don't have to worry about virus until your patched. Otherwise, download SP2 to a CD, remove the network cable from the machine, performe the in-place upgrade, apply SP2, then re-connect the network cable.

I just installed a new mobo/cpu/ram and when I load it up, I get no mouse/keyboard when it gives me the mini-menu. The keyboard otherwise works in bios and when I boot from the CD, so whats the deal?

I thought it was because it was USB at first so I dug out my old non-usb keyboard, same thing. It shows a mouse that just sits there in the middle of the screen, and I know the puter doesn't lock up at that screen because if I put my XP cd in while thats on the cursor changes to one of a loading cd status.

New hardware: AMD Athlon XP 3000+ / Geil Dual Channel 512mb (total) ddr / ASUS A7V880

Also I was wondering is it normal that my cpu is running at 42 and 43c temp? Seems a bit high but I havn't had a hardware upgrade in like 5 years so I havn't kept up with the hardware thing.

I can get to the recovery console from a CD boot of my XP cd, but I don't know what command to punch in to get it to repair my WinXP install. I figured I would try that out because I don't have any admin/user passwords on my machine so I don't care if those get messed with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back