How to upgrade laptop hard drive to ssd

biggles

2[H]4U
My MSI laptop has 2 hard drives in it. My idea is to:
1. Remove hard drive #2,
2. Install new ssd,
3. Clone hard drive #1 to new ssd,
4. Replace hard drive #1 with new ssd,
5. Put hard drive #2 back in its original spot.

Will this work, and is this a good method? What cloning software is recommended? I have never cloned a hard drive before.

I like the Seagate diskwizard. It sounds like your approach should work. I'd make a backup before you start if you don't have one. I prefer to clone using a desktop, but if that's not available, use what you have.

No i highly recommend a fresh install and re installation of everything and another option is putting the original drive in a cd rom caddy removing the cdrom. I did that with min in the faster slot is my ssd and in my dvd bay I replaced my dvd drive with a tray that adapts the hdd to dvd rom interface.

I use Paragons' OS to SSD migrate software, $20 and it hasn't failed me yet, done over a dozen clones for desktops and laptops, and it is quite fast, and isn't limited by going from a larger to smaller partition or drive; allows you to deselect files and folders to get it to fit on the SSD.
http://www.paragon-software.com/technologies/components/migrate-OS-to-SSD/

Fresh install takes about 2-3 hours with all the updates, plus the time to install your apps and customizations, so I don't recommend that unless you have issues with your current install.

My main rig is still running on the original install from August of 2009, and has been cloned 2 times already, spinner to spinner, and then onto my ssd, and runs great.

Another important detail is that the new ssd is slightly larger than the existing drive #1. So I have the option of copying 100% of the original drive contents.

I use Macrium Reflect for backups/cloning/imaging and a USB boot loader , best program ever! Used it to migrate my SATA HDD on my laptop to PNY XLR8 SSD. Flawless!

You do need a program designed to migrate from HDD to SSD to ensure the SSD is properly aligned.

Ugh, wish I didn't open this thread, it just makes me want to upgrade my laptop even more :D
I know I will have to eventually when I turn my laptop into a dedicated media machine for my theater.
Giving Paragon a thumbs up also, I've only used it a couple times, but it was flawless both times.
Haven't heard of Macrium Reflect before, I'll have to check them out, it's always good to have options.

I talked to a family member who suggested trying Clonezilla. Anybody with experience using that program?

My MSI laptop has 2 hard drives in it. My idea is to:
1. Remove hard drive #2,
2. Install new ssd,
3. Clone hard drive #1 to new ssd,
4. Replace hard drive #1 with new ssd,
5. Put hard drive #2 back in its original spot.

Will this work, and is this a good method? What cloning software is recommended? I have never cloned a hard drive before.

I did exactly what you propose. I recommend paragon migrate to ssd. Fast and very easy. Unlike clonezilla, it ensures the sectors are aligned properly.

I use clonezilla to replace hard drives on a regular basis. Super easy, just download the amd64 version, boot, and select disk to local disk.

Also – unrelated to Clonezilla – you may have to switch your BIOS and OS into AHCI mode, plus turn off defragging and a few other things.

The ssd is a Crucial MX100 512 gb. It is replacing a Seagate Momentus XT hybrid 500 gb drive. I just opened the box today for the Crucial and it includes Acronis True Image HD 2014. Will this software be able to properly clone the drive?

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGLDgyOZLVo
Here is the tutorial I found.

Last edited:
It probably will. Acronis makes nice applications. If it doesnt paragon will work 100%.

the main reason I went with Paragon was due to the fact that all the programs I tried when I was doing my first SSD swap was that those apps just looked at partition or drive size, not used space.
Example, I had a 1TB black as my main drive partitioned to 200GB and 800GB. 200GB was my system partition and the rest was data.
I was going with a 120GB SSD and even though the 200GB partition only had 80GB used, none of the apps would clone since the destination was smaller than the source, partition wise. a couple of the apps were trying to clone the entire 1TB drive and not the partition.

Paragon has a file browser that pops up showing you how much data you have and you can deselect files and folders to get it down to fit onto your SSD if it is smaller than the amount of data on your source drive.
It's well worth the $20 for the program since it is fast, has worked 100% for me every time I have used it, and it was fast, if I didn't already mention that.

I just used it the other day to clone a 640gb laptop drive to a 500gb SSD for a friends HP DV7.

Update: Acronis 2014 worked. I used the command line to verify the ssd was properly aligned after the clone was completed. Laptop now boots to user login in 20 seconds. Thanks everybody.

Back