How To Unlock Windows 10 God Mode

HardOCP News

[H] News
For those of you that aren't familiar with how to create the God Mode folder on your desktop in Windows, the crew at ThinkComputers has put together a put together a guide complete with pictures.

Windows 10 has been out for just a little while now and the same God Mode that was present in Windows 7 and Windows 8 can be unlocked in Microsoft’s brand new operating system. God Mode will put all of the configurable options and setting for your operating system all in one place.

Hmmm didn't realize there was a "God mode" with Win7. Oh well, I just let the computer annoy me everytime it asked for permission to open certain files.

I kept hearing people talk about this like it was some great secret treasure of hidden Windows configurations. Stuff that you might want to do but the options were hidden from ordinary people. So, I decided to give this a whirl.

What a disappointment! All of the configurations and settings available are easily found in "normal" areas of windows. Nothing I could do in "god mode" that I couldn't without going through the control panel. It is kinda nice to have all these configuration options in one place, but to call it "god mode" is a bit overdramatic. "I was expecting a little more....pizzazz!"

I kept hearing people talk about this like it was some great secret treasure of hidden Windows configurations. Stuff that you might want to do but the options were hidden from ordinary people. So, I decided to give this a whirl.

What a disappointment! All of the configurations and settings available are easily found in "normal" areas of windows. Nothing I could do in "god mode" that I couldn't without going through the control panel. It is kinda nice to have all these configuration options in one place, but to call it "god mode" is a bit overdramatic. "I was expecting a little more....pizzazz!"

The main advantage, I suspect, is that you can search for any setting/config in a single spot. Personally, I find that Control Panel typically covers all of this.

The main advantage, I suspect, is that you can search for any setting/config in a single spot. Personally, I find that Control Panel typically covers all of this.

You can already do that by typing into the search box.

You can already do that by typing into the search box.

Yes, but that pulls from too many locations. I'd much rather search for settings in CP or perhaps this god mode folder than one that also searches regular programs and indexed folders.

Cool trick for Win10 only... there is a typo in the article.

Win+X then P pulls up the control panel fast.
Still cant believe it took over 20 years to come up with this keyboard shortcut.

Another fun contextual menu is the Games folder from WinXP (still works in Win7 and 10)
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /E,::{ED228FDF-9EA8-4870-83b1-96b02CFE0D52}

Copy standalone game shortcuts to this folder.
The folder can be moved anywhere.
Advantage is that it automatically creates a Games folder in the Index
and any shortcuts in the Games folder will automatically be found here.

this is just for lazy people, learn where your shit is in the OS ffs

Why? The whole point of an OS is to be as easy of a thing to use as possible. Consolidating all of these options in one place is a good thing. You really want people to waste time looking for things just because you want things to be difficult? An OS should be easy to use.

Why? The whole point of an OS is to be as easy of a thing to use as possible. Consolidating all of these options in one place is a good thing. You really want people to waste time looking for things just because you want things to be difficult? An OS should be easy to use.

Are you talking about God Mode or the Start Menu? :D (joking aside, same arguments with Start Menu).

Ease of use depends on the person. For some, if you can't figure it out by /? or the man pages, you're a lazy POS. Everything is right there, why can't you figure it out? Oh, you need a GUI for that tool? Lazy. Back in my day we used autoexec.bat for our startup programs. :p

God Mode or whatever vs. the traditional way. Who cares. One is optional. Use the one you prefer. I have some things bookmarked (HardForum, for example). Even a big ass button on my most frequent places when I start my browser. Yet, there are times when I open a browser and type it. Which one is lazy?

You mean you don't type in "iddqd" at the command prompt? :confused:

That would be awesome if that was an easter egg in Windows. :D Sadly, I tried. It's not. I remember typing that quite a bit back in the day. Only because I sucked at Doom.

Some of us have played and won Doom while never knowing there even were cheat codes.

Anyone that hasn't played and won Doom with 100% kills, items, and secrets on Ultra-Violence without having to cheat is not a true old-school FPS gamer in my book.

That being said... cheat codes can make for some fun - like when you just want to Berserk-punch your way through the whole game while invulnerable just because you can. :p

Back