How to uninstall Edge on windows 11?

ng4ever

2[H]4U
If it is even possible. If I do will it come back? How do I prevent it if so?

Why do you want to, even? Sounds like a good way to break your windows install for no benefit.

Microsoft designed Edge and its components to be an integral part of the OS making it very hard to "remove". As such, even if you find a way to "remove" it, it will come back during the next major update because the necessary components needed to run the software will be updated and essentially "restored" to running condition as if you never did anything.
Rather than bother with the attempt, I would just remove the icon from the desktop and don't run the program. Set the default web browser to your favorite one and leave it at that. In my opinion, doing anything more than that is a waste of time.
That said, there are other web sites that discuss methods of disabling or uninstalling Edge that you can search for. It gets quite detailed and invasive, so there is a risk of damaging the OS to the point that it no longer works correctly. If you still feel like that risk is worth the effort, I'd recommend following their instructions and joining their forums/message boards to get help.

Microsoft designed Edge and its components to be an integral part of the OS making it very hard to "remove". As such, even if you find a way to "remove" it, it will come back during the next major update because the necessary components needed to run the software will be updated and essentially "restored" to running condition as if you never did anything.
Rather than bother with the attempt, I would just remove the icon from the desktop and don't run the program. Set the default web browser to your favorite one and leave it at that. In my opinion, doing anything more than that is a waste of time.
That said, there are other web sites that discuss methods of disabling or uninstalling Edge that you can search for. It gets quite detailed and invasive, so there is a risk of damaging the OS to the point that it no longer works correctly. If you still feel like that risk is worth the effort, I'd recommend following their instructions and joining their forums/message boards to get help.

Ok.

How do I keep it updated without having to go and launching it in settings so it will update to the current version ?

Because it's his computer and if he wants to uninstall absolutely everything but the base operating system, he should have the option to do so.

Once again, who's computer is it?

Microsoft's. At least, that's the way things are moving.

If you really want that much control over what's installed, tear out Windows and install a Linux distro. Otherwise get over it. Other than a smidge of storage space, Edge isn't taking up any resources. Even if the Edge GUI could be removed, the rendering libraries, Javascript engine, etc. would still be present as the OS needs those for other functionality.

(It's always good to have a backup browser anyways.)

edit: typo

Last edited:
You can use CCleaner to uninstall it.

But some stuff will be glitchy with strange black/white boxes popping up that say "Microsoft Edge" but display nothing. This is because Microsoft uses some links that force opening of Edge. Edge will still be listed as a browser on your system as well. You can't really get rid of it.

My advice is to open it up, customize it to display nothing but a blank tab on open, and to set it to erase everything upon close. That way for the little that you have to use it, it won't save much.

It's not that Edge is a bad browser, the new version is pretty good, I just prefer a different browser. For most people, I think the built in browser is good enough which I something I haven't been able to say about Microsoft product for a looooong time. However, I would like Microsoft to stop integrating Edge so deeply like they have been doing.

Back