How to turn on a laptop without a power button?

CaffeineMan

Limp Gawd
**MY MISTAKE** I misidentified the LED connection as the power button connection.

Original question:

I received some laptop mobos without shells (Lenovo 13 2nd gens) that I would like to upcycle to use as my HTPCs. I currently use slower laptops (actually parts of laptops) but would like to upgrade what I already have.

I have identified where the power button should attach and tried shorting out the pins (like I would do for a PC mobo), but this did not work and I am unable to power on the board.

My troubleshooting steps are as follows:
  • Found a "working" Lenovo 13 2nd gen. Disconnected the power button. Pressed the power button. The laptop did not power on. (this proved I have the right cable). Also, the cable only has 2 leads.
  • I shorted out the 2 pins that the cable indicated I should short, but the "working" laptop did not boot up.
  • I reconnected the power cable and pushed the power button. The laptop powered on as expected.
  • I tried running a continuity test on the button at the cable side but did not see any continuity (my tester does not have fine points so I am not sure this test is bad data caused by the poor execution of the test).
My intention is to attach the laptop mobo to a wood board and solder wires to the board that connects to a momentary switch that I can use to power the "laptops" back on when needed.

Any ideas on how to boot a laptop without a power button?

Last edited:
PC case and laptop power button uses momentary switches (rather than a traditional on/off), look for normally open momentary switches online.

PC case and laptop power button uses momentary switches (rather than a traditional on/off), look for normally open momentary switches online.
I thought so too, but when I short out the pins it does not turn on.

My mistake. The pins\wire I thought were for the power button were for the led light in the Lenovo logo.
This board's button is soldered to the board and the bezel button just pushes the button below it on the motherboard. Testing I can solder to the outside solder points to turn on the PC without touching the board.

Not sure if I should delete this thread.

Back