How to turn off update message: iPhone?

SLP Firehawk

Limp Gawd
I have iPhone 6s plus running iOS 11.0.3 and I turned off every update I could find. However it still gives me the message that a new version of ios is available and if I want to install it NOW or LATER. Never is not an option. So I just keep selecting Later.
Is there a way to turn this off so it doesn't keep informing me every time a new version is out?

Why not update your phone so it is secured and bugs fixed?
Thank you for responding. It's a relatively new device (though old model) so I plan on keeping it several more years as it does everything I need. It's just the annoying update message I don't like. The only reason I even got the 6S+ was because my 4S can't run some of the apps I need to control cameras or serve as backup for sUAS use. I know I'm strange but I keep things as long as they serve the purpose and resist upgrading something that is working. Yes. People do make fun of me :)

Thank you for responding. It's a relatively new device (though old model) so I plan on keeping it several more years as it does everything I need. It's just the annoying update message I don't like. The only reason I even got the 6S+ was because my 4S can't run some of the apps I need to control cameras or serve as backup for sUAS use. I know I'm strange but I keep things as long as they serve the purpose and resist upgrading something that is working. Yes. People do make fun of me :)

Update your phone. Please update your phone.

Your phone may be working, but you're also leaving it vulnerable to security flaws from the past two years. If you want to keep your phone working, if you value the data available on it, you'll update.

Thanks everyone. All our phone conversations have been recorded since 2008. I wasn't aware of any special compromise existing on the older phones, other than the usual data collection/sharing etc that is going on. You mentioned keep it working may become an issue due to security flaws. Good to know. Not surprising.

On a related side note, often the new software updates and new devices contain new spyware and hidden built-in garbage but we have been conditioned to rush and get the latest new thing each time. I personally would not even own a smart phone, or even a cell phone but need them for my jobs and ministries.

Update it to get all the awesome new spyware and hidden built-in garbage. You don't want to be running outdated spyware do you? That's worse than new spyware.

Spyware, what? Please don't fearmonger, especially when Apple generally has a good reputation for protecting privacy.

Apple has a far from good record on keeping your info private, especially the last 2 years, with leaks about who they are selling your data too, 3rd parties in China, et cetera..it goes on from there.

Apples "Images" was they care about your privacy, as much as they push they are the most secure as well...

Thanks everyone and I appreciate the humor :)

"update your phone then turn off auto-update. "
Are you saying you can turn off auto update on the newer phones? I turned it off on my iPhone 4 since day one but can't seem to completely turn it off on the 6s. It doesn't update, it just reminds me every time an update is available and tries to get me to do it now or later. Just like with Windows OS I detest auto updates that have a tendency to break things and cause unnecessary problems.

I remember the days when we didn't have cell phones and seemed to get along fine without them :)

Apple has a far from good record on keeping your info private, especially the last 2 years, with leaks about who they are selling your data too, 3rd parties in China, et cetera..it goes on from there.

Apples "Images" was they care about your privacy, as much as they push they are the most secure as well...

So who is Apple selling data to, exactly? I follow things closely and can't remember any stories of Apple wantonly selling user data. Advertisers actually complain about its ad business because it refuses to provide data that's even vaguely identifiable.

Also, the fear over "3rd parties in China" that I've seen was based on (surprise!) incomplete information. Yeah, Tencent handles Safari Safe Browsing data in China, but not outside of the US like some feared. And whether or not Tencent protects that data is somewhat irrelevant since China is already monitoring whatever communication it can. If you're worried about privacy for Chinese residents, you have to worry about all technology companies operating in the country, not to mention Chinese politics.

I don't pretend Apple is perfect, but it's better than Google (which I'm not that ideologically opposed to, at least these days) on the privacy front. I don't know what phone you use these days, but it'll be ironic if you're using Android.

Last edited:

Nope

Back