how to turn off the fan in my power supply?

telfast

n00b
i am looking for a quick and dirty way to kill the power supply included fan, as i am pretty annoyed by the heavy noise it is producing.
slap me for my lack of geek knowledge but is there a way to do this via software? guess not..
do i have to open the power supply? because as far as i know this inludes a lost of guarantee..

btw: my newbie-first-post greetings to you.

Well, normally the fan is there for a reason. So I wouldn't mess with it. On some upper-end power supplies there is a pot on the back of the unit to adjust the fan. But it if doesn't you're SOL unless you open the unit up and replace the fan or 7 volt it or something like that.

If you turn off the fan the power supply will overheat. Power supplies have the fans installed for a reason, because they need the airflow. Different power supplies use different fans, some which are quieter. It is possible to replace the fans in your power supply, but working in a power supply can be dangerous and it may be hard to fit a fan in. If you want something quiet the easy way, just buy a quiet power supply.

The last time I tried to run a power supply without a fan (a very long time ago), it went pop after about half an hour and never worked after that. I'm rather lucky it didn't do anything like catch fire.

You can't turn off the fan via software, you can replace the fan but removing it altogether is a really bad idea.

And yeah, what the other guy said, working power supplies is dangerous, make sure to disconnect the mains first :D and leave it for a bit to drain off the capacitors or you could get shocked by those too :)

Buy a better power supply instead.

If you are annoyed by the noise of your fan , open her up and swap out the fans for better quality fans (pabst or something like them).

Killing a PSU without opening it is almost impossible to achieve on purpose, it only happens when u dont want it to.
Keep in mind a dieing PSU can lead to voltage spikes and other dead hardware.

So you got 2 choices
Just open it up,and change the fans.
If it works your good to go, if u f*** up, buy a new PSU
Open it and kill it for RMA
They'll know you opened it and you still have to buy a new PSU.

Method 1 costs you 10-15 $ on good quality fans(which u can even re-use) or a new PSU
Method 2 certainly costs u a new PSU

The fanless PSU is nice, but i think its overpriced. (what point is a psu thats noiseless,
when its powering a couple of HDD's and some opticals that arent close to being noiseless
Total noiseless-ness will be a possiblity when we all have solidstate flash HDD's
and use some kind of silent optical drive (whenever they invent that???)
so some lownoise fans will do nicely.
Ive got a completely Wcooled rig now and the only noise that bothers me it the HDD's
(fans in psu at 7 volts, but at 12 they werent noisy, just slightly audible)

i dont like the look of those fins going out of the power supply...i would be worried about bending/breaking it .. if you got a water cooling rig there is a power supply you can get thats water cooled instead of fans.. additionaly.. the 12v rail is horrible for current!

thanks for the info so far.
i've never worired so much about the a possible overheating of the machine as my old box never had a problem on that side and always stayed rather cool.
i heard something about 7volting it again and again in your posts so i'll try to search after that.. maybe that'll be another solution as it's right that my hdds arent whispering anyway...

I pulled the fan from a power supply of mine, came back 20min later and the thing burnt my hand when I touched the case. I reinstalled the fan and it's still kickin to this day in a linux router.

Back