How to turn OFF Asus Video Card over clocking and set to the regular speed?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
I can't understand why the google search engine only shows disable CPU / motherboard, it just doesn't show any link how to disable their asus video card overclock. Is there a link or a software to do this?

I can't understand why the google search engine only shows disable CPU / motherboard, it just doesn't show any link how to disable their asus video card overclock. Is there a link or a software to do this?

What Overclock?
Overclock via ASUS GPU Tweak II is controlled in...ta-da: ASUS GPU Tweak II.

Can you not just reset Afterburner or whatever software you're using to the defaults? Or do you mean you want to disable the boost logic, and basically underclock the card?

Why would you want to do that? Asus designed the card to run at the overclocked speed, and it's only an "overclock" when compared to the reference spec for the chip.

I'm guessing you don't actually want your card to run slower; you probably want it to be quieter, or be cooler, or use less power. There are more elegant ways to accomplish each without underclocking the card.

Asus own software even has "silent" mode:
1595954155634.png

the software doesn't really work. I have 2 problems:

1) I pick 1025MHZ w/ the default being at 1020MHz. Then "Apply". The next time you switch to a different mode, they default back to the over clock speed, so you have to set it each time you turn on the PC

2) somehow at 1025MHz, Gaming mode, the temperture moves up to 60 deg. C. I don't understand, it was lower earlier

the software doesn't really work. I have 2 problems:

1) I pick 1025MHZ w/ the default being at 1020MHz. Then "Apply". The next time you switch to a different mode, they default back to the over clock speed, so you have to set it each time you turn on the PC

2) somehow at 1025MHz, Gaming mode, the temperture moves up to 60 deg. C. I don't understand, it was lower earlier
tick the box to apply overclock at start up and enable load with windows. then set a custom fan curve and enable it. flat 30% till 50c then 100% at 80c is my prefered.

If you are using MSI Afterburner, you have to load it on system start, there is an option for that in the settings.

Also 60C is not hot at all. Most cards can go up to 80C comfortably (without throttling) and I would say 90C or above becomes dangerous. 60C is pretty good actually.

If it bother you, you can set a more aggressive fan curve in Afterburner, though it will result in more noise if that is an issue for you.

If you are using MSI Afterburner, you have to load it on system start, there is an option for that in the settings.

Also 60C is not hot at all. Most cards can go up to 80C comfortably (without throttling) and I would say 90C or above becomes dangerous. 60C is pretty good actually.

If it bother you, you can set a more aggressive fan curve in Afterburner, though it will result in more noise if that is an issue for you.

I'm fairly certain throttling is over 90c. It's perfectly safe for them to operate in excess of 80c.

tick the box to apply overclock at start up and enable load with windows. then set a custom fan curve and enable it. flat 30% till 50c then 100% at 80c is my prefered.
so, a different question, and a brand new video card:

I got the Asus Strix GTX 950 running for a few months, it's a "sort of" brand new card. It's a card connects to a motherboard, but the user never uses the card, rather, the video port on the motherboard instead.

https://www.legitreviews.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-950-2gb-video-card-review-asus-strix-gtx-950_170811

the specification is at the above:

Now, I set what Pendragon told me, flat at 30% till 50 deg. C, then move up from there, so my temperature is currently sitting at 36 deg. C. But my GPU Speed is at 1250MHz, as you can see from the link, it can go down to 1140MHz. So I'm 110 MHz higher, and whether I use Game Mode or Silent Mode, it only goes down to 1250MHz.

The question is, can i set it at 1140MHz? As I have no game on this new PC, just firefox, Excel and Wordperfect. There is no gaming graphics application, I don't even play those facebook game anymore

however, the screen is a 43" 4K Viewsonic, the old video card on the old PC is slow (it was a 650GTX), so each time the screen changes a wallpaper, there is a pause. This new card doesn't have a pause when it changes wall paper.

You can set whatever speed you want. The better question is why would you?

If you aren't gaming on it, it'll probably be in one of the three lowest power states (depending on what you're doing and what effects you have enabled in windows). It's hardly using any power like that, maybe 80w.

I think the lowest power state (aside from asleep) uses 20 or 30w, but you won't get there without disabling all the graphic "enhancements" in windows' UI.

I'm fairly certain throttling is over 90c. It's perfectly safe for them to operate in excess of 80c.
Reference for 30 series is 93. Not sure what VRAM is though, but it's even higher given that a reference design will hit 100c pretty easy and not throttle.

But yeah, on a 30 series as long as you aren't breaking 90c you're good. This isn't like the older cards where low/mid-80's was typically the limit.

Reference for 30 series is 93. Not sure what VRAM is though, but it's even higher given that a reference design will hit 100c pretty easy and not throttle.

But yeah, on a 30 series as long as you aren't breaking 90c you're good. This isn't like the older cards where low/mid-80's was typically the limit.
Gddr6x throttling starts at 108c. The cards with gddr6 basically don't have Temps to even think about.

You can set whatever speed you want. The better question is why would you?
but on the MHz tab, I already lower it to the lowest bar | at the far left. It only stays at 1250MHz. So how do you get it lower to 1140MHz

since I only use 2D application, I would like this card to last longer. 1140 is the base clock speed, anything over is over clock. I have no benefit on that w/ application s/w like Excel or Firefox

since I only use 2D application, I would like this card to last longer. 1140 is the base clock speed, anything over is over clock. I have no benefit on that w/ application s/w like Excel or Firefox
however, the screen is a 43" 4K Viewsonic, the old video card on the old PC is slow (it was a 650GTX), so each time the screen changes a wallpaper, there is a pause. This new card doesn't have a pause when it changes wall paper.
the new card if running accelerated clocks is to better render your desktop environment. If you want to force it to run slower, you can expect to see the hesitations your old card exhibited. The amount of power the card uses is like nothing vs not 'overclocked', the clock speed of the card is not going to shorten the life of the card.

If you leave the damn thing alone it's going to last longer than it'll be useful. There is no problem with the card automatically clocking higher when it wants to, and 60c during normal desktop usage is not anything to be concerned about.

In fact, most of these cards run so efficient when just doing desktop stuff, that they'll just idle at 60c with the fans off, which is perfectly fine, and actually extends the 'life' of the card since the fans aren't having running hours against them.

okay, a new question:

After I use Pendragon suggestion, the GPU temperature is now at 32 deg. C. I hear no sound on the fan. But obviously the fan must be rotating faster to get 32 deg. C as I was at 50 deg. C the other day

what's the lifespan of those GPU fan? If it's a sys. fan, brands like Notura gives 6 yr.

in other words, I want a balance of the GPU temperature vs. fan lifespan. For e.g., say 40 deg. C will last 10 year on the video card, then I'll slow back down the fan to make sure the fan itself last 10 yr.

==========

to answer you people the other question: NO, the last video card, 650GTX dies because I didn't bother lower the over clock speed. So it somewhat fails due to overclock, and I get nothing out of it, why would I need such high clock speed on Excel spreadsheet? So I don't want to spend $ on yet another video card. I won't mind using this 950GTX for 10 yr.

the only need for an upgrade is when we have 8K OLED monitor popular and affordable, then I'll upgrade to whatever video std. at that future time

okay, a new question:

After I use Pendragon suggestion, the GPU temperature is now at 32 deg. C. I hear no sound on the fan. But obviously the fan must be rotating faster to get 32 deg. C as I was at 50 deg. C the other day

what's the lifespan of those GPU fan? If it's a sys. fan, brands like Notura gives 6 yr.

in other words, I want a balance of the GPU temperature vs. fan lifespan. For e.g., say 40 deg. C will last 10 year on the video card, then I'll slow back down the fan to make sure the fan itself last 10 yr.

==========

to answer you people the other question: NO, the last video card, 650GTX dies because I didn't bother lower the over clock speed. So it somewhat fails due to overclock, and I get nothing out of it, why would I need such high clock speed on Excel spreadsheet? So I don't want to spend $ on yet another video card. I won't mind using this 950GTX for 10 yr.

the only need for an upgrade is when we have 8K OLED monitor popular and affordable, then I'll upgrade to whatever video std. at that future time
You can never be sure they will last 10 years. Just run the card and what happens will happen. If you want a 10 year warranty you should buy EVGA.

but the user never uses the card, rather, the video port on the motherboard instead.
if they are using the igpu why are you putting in a stand alone card? take it out and you no longer have to owrry about its fan lasting 10 years(?!)....

okay, a new question:

==========

Fan lifespans vary, but it's not as if you can't replace them. They're not expensive. That said, if you're just running 2D, than pull the card out and just run on the iGPU.

Regarding your previous card, what makes you conclude it died because you didn't lower the clockspeed? Also, if you're running only 2D applications, the GPU won't be running at its peak frequency anyway. It will tune down.

I'm honestly not sure what you're concerned about here.

You have no idea what you’re doing. Leave it alone. The card automatically and dynamically lowers the GPU and VRAM clockspeeds when you’re not gaming. You’re achieving nothing by messing with it.

because the on board video card does not do 4K at 60Hz.
if youre pluggin into the onboard port like you said you were, then it does...

"but the user never uses the card, rather, the video port on the motherboard instead."

if youre pluggin into the onboard port like you said you were, then it does...

"but the user never uses the card, rather, the video port on the motherboard instead."
there are 2 computer. The computer that belongs to someone else has that fancy 950GTX installed, but an older motherboard

I took that card and install on my new PC w/ a new (different ) motherboard (But old inventory). So my motherboard is not the latest chipset, I bought because it's really cheap, and I have another free i5 CPU that I can install on to it, and that i5 CPU only works on older motherboard.

Back