How To Try Out SteamVR

HardOCP News

[H] News
For those of you that have an Oculus Rift, you can try out SteamVR by following the directions below:

As of the most recent Steam Client Beta steam now supports an experimental VR mode. If you own an Oculus Rift dev kit you can try it out by starting Steam with "-vr" on the command line. Then press the Big Picture button to enter Big Picture + VR mode. The first time you run you may need to do the following:

1. Run Steam in the desktop client without the -vr option
  2. Find "SteamVR" under "Tools" in your library. (If you don't have it installed, install it.)
  3. Bring up properties on SteamVR and opt-in to the "Beta Update" beta. Let the update download.
  4. Quit the Steam Client again and start it with -vr

Damn, would love to try this. cannot wait til the consumer version is out!

CES 2014 reports are that the new display in the Rift cuts the latency down to a range which pretty much eliminates the feelings of motion sickness. I'm excited about that since i get motion sick easily. I'm eager to try out the consumer version. hopefully it is released this year. Even if it makes me motion sick i'm sill pretty pumped about the idea of a private, emmersive, reasonably priced display w/o motion tracking.

Back