How to transmit PC audio over wifi to speaker?

lightsout

[H]ard|Gawd
I am trying to send audio from a windows PC, over a wifi connection to some sort of portable speaker. I don't think bluetooth would be a good option because it is through a wall or two and some 40'.

The audio does not need to be high end, mainly for voice audio in a church, sending the sound from the sanctuary into the nursery.

This has to be easier than it seems.

There are plenty of wireless systems for speakers used for home theater setups, but I think you may be trying to go further than these would allow.

For devices that have WiFi, controlling the device remotely and securing it would probably need to be under consideration.

Apparently from my searching I just need a transmitter receiver setup. I don't want to have to "cast" or something like that every time. Just send over the audio. I think I found someone who can help, thanks guys.

Have you thought about using Google Chromecast Audio? You plug in the 3.5mm device to your speakers and transmit over wifi. You have to fist upload your music to Google but after that works like a charm.

Apparently from my searching I just need a transmitter receiver setup. I don't want to have to "cast" or something like that every time. Just send over the audio. I think I found someone who can help, thanks guys.

What was the device you used? I currently bluetooth my PC to my A/V receiver which works fine for now. I'm always looking for other ways to transmit music, so let me know. Thanks

I was going to suggest looking into Dante, but it seems that the wireless market isn't quite there yet. If you don't mind rigging up a WiFi to ethernet adapter it might work for ya.

Dante is a audio over ethernet technology that sends professional audio over your network. There are all sorts of options for speakers, wired and wireless. Their Dante Via software runs on your PC and allows you to select a single application or source and send it to anything on your network that's listening.

https://www.audinate.com/products/software/dante-via

You can also use Sonos. Some of the products have a line-in which you can share with any set of speakers you like in the rest of the system. Slightly pricey but the audio quality is pretty damn good.

You can also use Sonos. Some of the products have a line-in which you can share with any set of speakers you like in the rest of the system. Slightly pricey but the audio quality is pretty damn good.
Sonos system works well but price is quite high. It's capable of relaxed background listening but nothing more advanced.

Sonos system works well but price is quite high. It's capable of relaxed background listening but nothing more advanced.
I agree, but if you already have some components which you're using for wireless streaming (which most people will do) it may not be immediately obvious that they can also be utilised in these circumstances,

I agree, but if you already have some components which you're using for wireless streaming (which most people will do) it may not be immediately obvious that they can also be utilised in these circumstances,
My brother in law switched his whole house to Sonos and it seems quite handy to use.

My brother in law switched his whole house to Sonos and it seems quite handy to use.
It is. Plug one component directly into your router or a wired network point and it creates it's own network which is more reliable than having all of them using just your home wifi. Like most people I just use them to access Spotify or similar music services but actually it's quite useful to have, say, your TV output playing in the kitchen while you go fix a drink during the ad break and don't want to miss something :)

It is. Plug one component directly into your router or a wired network point and it creates it's own network which is more reliable than having all of them using just your home wifi. Like most people I just use them to access Spotify or similar music services but actually it's quite useful to have, say, your TV output playing in the kitchen while you go fix a drink during the ad break and don't want to miss something :)
Bleh, I stopped watching ad revenue tv channels years ago. Ads break my nerves.

I try to but it's impossible to avoid if your favourite sport is exclusive to one.
I used subscription channels for a long time until they started placing ads even on paid channels. I quit my subscription...

There are lots of wireless solutions meant for just your situation.

I cannot make a recommendation, but know this:
The regulations are changing and the previous generation units will be prohibited soon because of spectrum reallocation.
Buy something current. Something where the maker plainly states that it's a current model, built to the new spectrum requirements.

Back