how to tell which power brick for what xbox 360?

Ragenrok

Supreme [H]ardness
How do we tell which power brick we need for our 360's? I got a old xbox 360 from a friend that has rrod, He told me if i can fix it I can have it but it has no video or power brick (he's not sure where they went as its been in his closet for a long time).

its mfg date is 2005-10-20, how do I figure out what modle power brick it needs?

How do we tell which power brick we need for our 360's? I got a old xbox 360 from a friend that has rrod, He told me if i can fix it I can have it but it has no video or power brick (he's not sure where they went as its been in his closet for a long time).

its mfg date is 2005-10-20, how do I figure out what modle power brick it needs?

The easiest way is to look at how many amps the console is rated at, which is located near the barcode and manufacturer date at the back of the console.

There should be three possibilities - 16.5 for the oldest, most RROD-prone "xenon/zephyr" 360 units, 14.2 for the "Falcon" units, and 12.1 for the "Jasper":

falcon-find.jpg

jasper-find.jpg

The other way to find out which power supply your model needs is by inspecting the console's power socket. Each power supply type uses a slightly different socket. The pic below shows the differences that each model has in the power supply socket (ignore the pic's mention of HDMI):

images

So if you can find out how many amps your particular model is quoted to use, you should be able to find a corresponding power supply, and the above pic of the sockets should help you confirm that a particular power supply matches up with your model.

If your model was built in 2005, it probably uses the 16.5-amp power supply.

look at the wattage on your xbox and buy one that matches or is higher.

from what I remember, the original power brick will work on all revisions of 360 but the new bricks are lower wattage so will only plug into the lower wattage newer 360's.

Back