How to tell which hard drive is clicking?

neokeelo

[H]ard|Gawd
One of my hard drives is clicking and sounds like when I restart my pc but I have 5 inside and 2 external. It hard to distinguish which one it is and I don't really have the time to plug in each hard drive and test it. Is there an easier way to figure out which one keeps restarting. I thought if I go to My computer the drive should disappear but it doesn't, just freezes everything for a second.

Thanks for the help.

open a dos prompt, go to the root of each drive and then type in dir /s and listen to the drives.
If you don't have many files on each drive then it might run through it too quick.

I have the same problem as well. I have 9 drives in mine and one of mine were clicking/freezing the machine for a sec. I ended up copying some stuff from the drive I thought was dying to another one, but it was the wrong drive.
I copied files to the drive that was dying.

Very carefully, you can put a pen or something in your ear, and hold it to the drive. And then boot up if it is only making the sound on bootup.

Or I imagine you could look at SMART parameters...?

Good advice there Phiz. I prefer a screwdriver since it has the blunt handle and I don't have to worry about jabbing my eardrum with the end of a pen. ;-)

Jason

I looked at all the drives using Seatools and HD Tune Pro. There were a few fields in yellow but nothing in red. The thing is, There is nothing I can do to trigger the restart. Guess Im just going to have to do it the hard way and boot my windows drive and then one by one each to figure it out.

Back