How to take apart an LGA2011 socket?

mrluckypants96

Limp Gawd
Anyone know how an LGA 2011 socket is supposed to come apart? It looks like there are 4 hex-type screws holding the hold-down plate to the backplate, but I don't know if there's more to it and I don't know the size of bit I'd need.

Edit: Words are hard, bad autocorrect doesn't help.

Last edited:
It should just be the 4 screws, but some manufacturers might use adhesives as well. Why are you taking it apart?

The "hex" fasteners you're referring to appear to be a small Torx size. Get yourself a set of 1/4" drive Torx bits and you should have the right size. It does appear that more than one design exists for the LGA 2011 retention mechanism. The exact procedure or torx size may depend on what brand of board or socket you're working on.

That said, why on earth would you want to disassemble the socket?

Bandalo
I've got an LGA2011 server board with a janky hold-down plate. It's got two ridges that prevent the cooler I have from actually touching the processor. I've got a refurb Alienware LGA2011 board that I'm using to upgrade my gaming system from its current FX chip. I plan to take the good hold down plate off the AW board and put it on the server board, then mount the cooler for the gaming system with its 1366 mounts.

RazorWind
Thanks, I'll try to check the local hardware store for those tomorrow before work.

Just double-check before you start pulling pieces off, since sometimes the plates/mounts aren't exactly the same between manufacturers.

Why not just remove the hold down plate and grind the doofy ridges off with an angle grinder?

Alright, looks like it was a Torx T15 screw. Everything is going to plan so far, assuming the ASUS server board doesn't have any adhesive (the AW one didn't), things should be perfect.

Use a pair of fine tip tweezers and pull out each pin one by one. Then scrape off every surface mounted component in the center of the socket.

Finally, unscrew the outer bracket.

Voila, socket completely disassembled

Back