How To? System image backup on smaller SSD then created?(Windows 10)

I created a image backup of my system on a external HDD when I was on a 500GB SSD, it was done on a fresh install and after drives/software/updates were all done. The image is like 20GB. I'm having an issue with the 500GB now months later and want to install my smaller 250GB SSD, how can I use my system image that's nice and clean and do a system restore using my old image?

windows backup can only restore to a disk that is same size or bigger (not that i have worked out how to do it)

use something else like AOMEI backupper (Free) to make a image and restore, acronis true image (not free)

Add Macrium Reflect to the list - been using it for some time and it is excellent.

The answer is yes. As long as your image is smaller than the destination, you are golden.

The image was already created using Windows 10, the hard drive quite working so how can I use my already created image? Is there a program that will allow me to use it on a smaller hdd then it was created on?

I'm not sure if you all are suggesting program to create the image but I was wanting to know how you use my image I already have so the question is what programs will allow me to use my image and put it onto a smaller hdd then originally created on?

The image was already created using Windows 10, the hard drive quite working so how can I use my already created image? Is there a program that will allow me to use it on a smaller hdd then it was created on?

I'm not sure if you all are suggesting program to create the image but I was wanting to know how you use my image I already have so the question is what programs will allow me to use my image and put it onto a smaller hdd then originally created on?

there is none (not that i am aware of), just make a image with a different program (backupper make a full disk image and then restore it using a bootable version of it)

Thanks for your help but I think there is a misunderstanding here, I created the image way before my hard drive went bad. Now I have a new hard drive that I put in there that has no operating system. I would like to use my system image that I created months ago before my hard drive crashed and put that on my new hard drive which is smaller size

I understand you guys are suggesting that I use a different program to make an image but I can't make a image when I have no operating system on my hard drive and I have a perfectly good one that I made months ago on a hard drive that was bigger.

I had this problem a few years back when going from a 120gb SSD to an 80GB SSD. I ended up restoring the image to a regular HDD with more space, shrinking the partition, creating a new backup, then restoring it to my new SSD. You need a spare HDD though.

Thanks for your help but I think there is a misunderstanding here, I created the image way before my hard drive went bad. Now I have a new hard drive that I put in there that has no operating system. I would like to use my system image that I created months ago before my hard drive crashed and put that on my new hard drive which is smaller size

I understand you guys are suggesting that I use a different program to make an image but I can't make a image when I have no operating system on my hard drive and I have a perfectly good one that I made months ago on a hard drive that was bigger.

you need a larger disk to do it (random 500GB HDD would do) if windows restore even works (i had hit or miss on its use, you May need to make a restore disk from windows backup as i found using any random USB/DVD of windows 7 did not work) restore it to the bigger HDD then clone it to the SSD using something else like backupper (cloning software is smart enough to downsize the partition size not sure Why windows image is not)

hi! i noticed that you refubish old cerwin vegas. Could you please message me? Thanks! I’m new here not sure how to message you privately.

Back