How? to suply 280 GTX with fresh air?

Vlad_13

[H]ard|Gawd

Something like that, that would suck fresh air from outside the case but NOT trough the window/side but FROM the PCI brackets. 280 GTX is around 10.5 inches long so the above solution will not work. And i was thinking something that looks better than that, no lights tho. I even tried to consider some Delta blowers, lol the problem is the fans are blowers and in this case need the opposite.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciate it :)

You could get something like a 2" PVC elbow and attach it to the card... having it draw in air from a hole you cut into the side of the case, or maybe some pipe that ducts the air in from the front... this would provide fresh air. Its just white PVC pipe though... you might want to spray it with some neon looking paint or black paint if looks are a concern.

I just found something interesting, but expansive as a mother @#$%^&

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811995027

Something like that but well easier on the wallet. Hmm... eBay is empty.

That thing is perfect, all i have to do is remove the first fan and put a plastic instead of the 120mm grill and flip the 2nd fan so it would suck the air from outside. but damn 40$ for piece of aluminum and 2 fans! Grrrr....

lol no thanks, no PVC in my Lian Lia case :p

The last time I wanted to do the same, I made an open ended cardboard box that fits over 3 rear blanking plates (at the open end of the box).
This is placed inside the PC, covering the 3 rear blanking plate slots below the graphics card.
On the box surface facing the graphics card, I placed an 80mm fan which blows cold air straight onto the graphics card.
Neat way to get your card cooler.

Heres a piccy of it in place, not easy to make out. (click for bigger image)
The box is below the gfx card and has been taped up with black tape, you can see the fan on the top surface.

honestly id say try to find a way to pull in fresh air from the front of the case where the 5.25" slots are.. mount a fan and make a shroud to direct the air directly to the card.. otherwise doing the pipe thing even though its cheap looking is your best option.. the only reason id say having a fan pulling air in from the back is that the psu sits at the bottom.. which you would then be pulling in hot air rising from the PSU.. especially if you have the back of the computer pushed up against a wall..

This would look awesome on the front of your case:

http://www.xoxide.com/scythe-kama-b...n=FROOG&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping

Then hook up a Fan duct:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/th12fandufor.html
or fabricate one from duct metal or PVC pipe etc:

Like sirmonkey1985 said, try to pull from the front because from the PCI slots even if you find one long enough, you are pulling in from right above your power supply exhaust. If you computer is near a wall, it is generally a little hotter back there because of all the exhaust, under a desk even more so.

Frozen.cpu also has pre cut lian li side windows.

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g43...-OEM-Lian-Li_Parts-Lian-Li_Windows-Page1.html

WHen I had a lian li, I cut through the side window with a dremenl, then got a real nice looking finished adapter like this one which hides the rough edges:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1730/duc-02/FrozenCPU_120mm_Fan_Duct.html

had a 120mm blowing in from that opening right on the GPU. If you screw it up, you could always get another side pannel. I had so much fun cutting into my case to do mods etc, more people should do it!

Do you even read my first post?.................

Or have a slightest clue of the v1000z design?

Do you even read my first post?.................

Or have a slightest clue of the v1000z design?

Yes. I have more than a slight clue, I have owned Lian Li, and worked on a computer in this specific case. PSU on bottom, inverted MB. From the title of your post you say you want to pull in fresh air. I dont know what you mean by implying that I don't have a clue. My suggestions were pulling in fresh air from the front or the side.

When you say, "Something like that, that would suck fresh air from outside the case but NOT trough the window/side but the PCI brackets" you have to be aware that that is a incomplete sentence. You did not say wether you want something like that, or do not want something like that. And Not through the window could mean either you want something that does not suck through the window, or you are pointing out that you dont like that one because it would not.

So do you disagree that there is hot air at the rear of case, not want a side window opening, or not want a front fan or duct? Not sure.

I post on this forum to try to help with ideas and suggestions, it is possible that someone will occasionaly not know exaclty your meaning from your post, no need to imply someone is clueless.

Something like that, that would suck fresh air from outside the case but NOT trough the window/side but FROM the PCI brackets.

Just for you my friend I'll quote my self and just for you I'll add the word "FROM"... note, that it is in red color too...

Definitely use a duct. I would duct from the front of the case to avoid pulling in any exhaust air from the PSU/GPU(s), but you could of course use a duct from the back as Nenu described.

I understand you are looking for one, but consider this. You have a case with mesh on the entire front of the case so that cold air can be pulled in. Also, you have the powersupply on the bottom and the hard drive cage down there so that that heat does not get pulled into the processor. Unless your CPU is generating a lot of heat that is not getting out of the case, adding a blower right on top of a fan might not be a great solution. The case is designed to pull fresh air into the front and out the back by creating a low pressure inside the case, and uses the zone system to make sure components dont exhaust heat into other component's intakes. Blowing cool air directly on a fan creates a high pressure zone, where the GPU fan must work harder to suck air through. I played around with adding a spot fan once in front of my CPU cooler and the RPM of the first fan dropped! If the ultimate goal is to cool the GPU better, one idea would be to get a CPU heatsink that directs the air out of the case like many of the tower coolers, or buy an aftermarket 4850 cooler. I know, these things can run hot.
It would be interesting to buy a cheap digital thermometor and measuer your ambient temp, then place it near the videocard fan and measure the inside of the case fan.
If you must add a fan to blow onto a fan, Vantech used to make one that had a rectangular sleve that you could slip on to extend the length. The Antech Vcool also brings cool air in and is longer than the Antech super cyclone shown in your picture.
http://www.svc.com/vcool.html

Best of luck!

I have a Lian Li PC-V2000, and I found the heat management at the top of the case to be lacking, so I added dual 120mm blowholes to the top... coulda added 3 I suppose. Since doing this, the top of the case is much cooler, and overall, the airflow inside has improved (case, GPU, and CPU temps dropped). The irony is, I actually blocked off the back 120mm fan, and disconnected the front one (its only there to cool the HDD's and feed the PSU, although there is so much mesh in the bottom this does not need a fan, and my HDD's are in 5.25" adapters in the main bay).

With GPU's facing the top where they are, I would just use a PVC pipe actually, and cut a blowhole in the top for the pipe, or a 120mm fan (with reducer for the pipe) that blows outside air into the GPU. Honestly though... if you just add a 120mm blowhole or two, the thing wont need it. I run 8800's in SLi in mine... temps are not an issue with this series of case.

Definitely use a duct. I would duct from the front of the case to avoid pulling in any exhaust air from the PSU/GPU(s), but you could of course use a duct from the back as Nenu described.

I cant, all of my 5.25 are in use :p
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1033644040&postcount=3808

I have a Lian Li PC-V2000, and I found the heat management at the top of the case to be lacking, so I added dual 120mm blowholes to the top... coulda added 3 I suppose. Since doing this, the top of the case is much cooler, and overall, the airflow inside has improved (case, GPU, and CPU temps dropped)

I have no problem with air circulation in my case, i have a Delta AFB1212VHE 120x38mm fan which is capable of pushing 129CFM :D I keep it @ 2100 and system's temps don't exceed 30C.

This thing is perfect.... but those are 2 120mm fans and there are no Clearance under that thing... If i would install it i would not have any space for SATA cables i have running there... Unless i cut the bottom of that thing... make it thinner and slip a 92mm fan instead of 120.

That HD4850 will be replaced by a 280 GTX SC soon... 1.4bil transistor GPU generates a lot of heat, and in order to push it i would need to put fresh air on the card. (without modifying the case/windows etc...)

@ the post above? Fresh air means what?........... You did not read my first post, therefore makes your post/ideas useless... Except BS-09B which there is no way in hell I'm attaching THAT to my case...

90 degree SATA cables are always an option...

Yes but when i have 4 of them? 90* usually work for the HDD end not the mobo... In my situation where i have one on top of another = no go. (take a look at the screen shot)

that lian-li pci-e is the best imo.

I think so too... but i will have to cut the bottom of the thing... And $41+shipping is crazy expansive for piece of aluminum and two 120mm fans which i have like 10 :mad:

Use the force!!!!! I have faith in your cable management skill.

Faith ey? Nah.... faith doesn't go with computers. I had faith in my old Antec Sp-500 II PSU and what it got me?.. a fried mobo and psu, lots of cursing, plus one month without a PC gaming...

It has been pretty much proven on the EVGA forums that the best way to cool a GTX 200 card is placing a fan behind the card (in between it and the hard drive or other bays)

My case doesn't have enough space however

Well, I did read your first post, & most of the rest of the thread. Tbqh, to meet all your criteria I think you're either going to have to bite the bullet on that 40$ jobber or custom fab something yourself. Of course the latter depends a bit on your skill & ability to make from scratch something that's both functional and decent looking. I won't presume to know whether you possess such skills or not, but if it were me I'd go custom fab'd. If nothing else for the fun of doing it.

Aside from that, I know you want to pull the air from the back slots, but that's really not the best place given that's exactly where your card dumps it's heat. But hey, it's your rig, gotta do what ya gotta do.

cheers.

Most times when someone (like all the people here on this forum) try to give you suggestions in a genuine effort to help a fellow enthusiast out, it is polite to say something like "thanks, but I dont want to do that." instead of saying "therefore makes your post/ideas useless."

Grow up, you act like a spoilt child.
I dont want to help you either, so I'm outa here :)

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=210&products_id=4620

It doesn't attach to the side window, gets air from rear of case, less than twenty bucks and it's made by Lian Li. I have this in my PC A17b with S FLEX G and it works great. And yes, you can move the actual fan around on the bracket to adjust to where the air should flow. :D

Thanks, but not the thing i had in mind... I have this: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=210&products_id=24387
Which I'm not using because its an obstruction, covers the view of the stuff and the card.

Nah... sticking with the stock cooling solution (btw it's a 280 GTX not 4850 from the sig, gtx should be here on Monday)

I think i know what I'm gona put there... it's either
http://www.svc.com/vcool.html
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811995027

Those are the only items that can pull fresh air from the PCI brackets, and the exhaust fan might be right under the 280 GTX intake fan. So it works out, the PCI cooler pulls cold air from the outside and delivers it to the 280 GTX centrifugal fan, this one puts the cold air on the heat sink and out of the case trough the PCI brackets. Cuz the air is hot in theory it should go up instead of going back trough the PCI brackets in to the bottom cooler.

Cuz the air is hot in theory it should go up instead of going back trough the PCI brackets in to the bottom cooler.

except for the fact that the intake below the GPU's exhaust is likely to have enough suction to pull it back down, bringing it right back into the case.

however, you could probably fab up some "heat shield" that directs air into the intake fan from down closer to the ground, and separating it from the heated air that the GPU is exhausting.

something like the pic at the link below, but without the pipe attached to it

clicky

Back