How to stress i7 with prime95

sliu64

Weaksauce
Hi guys, I just OCed my i7 920, and wondering how to stress it with prime95. Can someone give me a newbie guide or point me to one? I heard it's different to stress a quad core with 8 threads. Thanks.

Just try it. Download and run it. Watch it in your task manager and it should tax all cores to 100%. It did when I ran it.

that or run intel burn test.. i believe that supports all 8 threads on the i7..

What sirmonkey said, Intelburntest (well to me) seems like it stresses my cpu more than prime, i was surprised when 26 hours prime stable did not pass 50 intelburntest runs, after a bit of tweaking it passed 125 runs.

lol 125 runs.. thats basicly like running your system full load for 50 years.. :p cant remember what 1 run is = to in actually full load time..

Well atleast i know its stable if i have it running @ 100% for 50 years :cool:

Its not hijacking, 455olds prob answered his question, So the suggestions part comes next, which is probably ignored or done :D

ya, watch those temps lol. w/ 8 thread prime I get into the 80's. Its crazy, but i can run it for a few hours no problem, but the heat is rediculous.

ya, watch those temps lol. w/ 8 thread prime I get into the 80's. Its crazy, but i can run it for a few hours no problem, but the heat is rediculous. I would not let it run and forget about it, I would keep an eye on it if possible :)

i dl intel burn test, do i click on the burn test exe or the linpack64 exe?

the latest prime 95 will open 8 threads but will not stress very much memory. if you have 6+ gig of ram you need to run 4 iterations of orthos; three blended and one small fft. adjust affinity in task manager.

I just OCed my i7 920 to 3.6GHz w/o HT, I did it in 2 different ways and got very different result.

1st way:
20x multiplier
FSB 180
base clock 3.6 GHz
boots fine into bios and windows vista
AVG temp during intel burn test 80C
intel burn test result: 3 out of 10 - failed test

2nd way:
18x multiplier
FSB 200
base clock 3.6GHz
boots fine into bios (however a weird msg popped up) and windows vista
AVG temp during intel burn test 70C
intel burn test result: 10 out of 10 - successful test

The msg in the bios in the 2nd method worries me. It pops up when i select motherboard intelligent tweaker. The message says the system is experiencing boot failure due to overclocking orr change in voltage. But like i indicated earlier, the computer boots into bios and windows vista absolutely fine and the intel burn test also indicated the opposite. Why is that msg popping up? Should i ignore it and keep the 2nd method's settings?

I read all the great stiff about Intel Burn test being better than prime, got my system stable @ 100 passes of IBT but it BSOD with 30 minutes of prime95! Making my system stable under Prime is MUCH harder than IBT which might indicate a memory issue with what Im using (upgrade on its way!).
I dont think there is a best tool - worth making sure you are stable under both IMHO (if stability s a rgeat concern, some seem happy to be stable under low loadings but have bigger e-penis)

Sorry about derailing but its sort of relevant now

How many Prime95 hours does it take to equall to at least 2 max intel burn runs? Because I remember reading the original thread over at xs that explained intelburnin and the op stated that 40hrs Prime95 stable wasn't good enough to be even last 2 intelburnin runs (ie the numbers didn't match).

I read all the great stiff about Intel Burn test being better than prime, got my system stable @ 100 passes of IBT but it BSOD with 30 minutes of prime95! Making my system stable under Prime is MUCH harder than IBT which might indicate a memory issue with what Im using (upgrade on its way!).
I dont think there is a best tool - worth making sure you are stable under both IMHO (if stability s a rgeat concern, some seem happy to be stable under low loadings but have bigger e-penis)

100 passes? What did you do, set the memory usage to minimum?

I just OCed my i7 920 to 3.6GHz w/o HT, I did it in 2 different ways and got very different result.

1st way:
20x multiplier
FSB 180
base clock 3.6 GHz
boots fine into bios and windows vista
AVG temp during intel burn test 80C
intel burn test result: 3 out of 10 - failed test

2nd way:
18x multiplier
FSB 200
base clock 3.6GHz
boots fine into bios (however a weird msg popped up) and windows vista
AVG temp during intel burn test 70C
intel burn test result: 10 out of 10 - successful test

The msg in the bios in the 2nd method worries me. It pops up when i select motherboard intelligent tweaker. The message says the system is experiencing boot failure due to overclocking orr change in voltage. But like i indicated earlier, the computer boots into bios and windows vista absolutely fine and the intel burn test also indicated the opposite. Why is that msg popping up? Should i ignore it and keep the 2nd method's settings?

Can anyone answer the above questions?

I like using Orthos because you can set it to Blend and page into a bunch of RAM.

Run many instances of Orthos from the same shortcut, then set the affinity to one instance per physical core.

The intel stress test pretty good. Suggested here, really beats up the cpu. Hotter core temps and it takes just a few mins for 5 runs.

Back