How to Stop Windows 10 From Updating??

Sithtiger

Weaksauce
Can anyone tell me how to stop Windows 10 from updating? Here's my new situation. Now the other problem I had with the other machines. They're both the Acer machines, but with Windows 10 version 1709 OS Build 16299.214. ALL machines that had this build would not install. .Net 3.5 Framework no matter how it was installed. I tried through Program Features, the normal way. I also tried Dism and having it read from the source, no go. I tried a batch file from the MS forums because I kept getting an error. Whatever method, I received this error. "Windows couldn't complete the requested changes.
The changes couldn't be completed. Please reboot your computer and try again.
Error code: 0x800F0950"

What I found was the machines that did have .Net 3.5 Framework had an OS Build that was different than 1709 OS Build 16299.214. Any PC's that had .Net 3.5 Framework had a lower OS build and some had build 1703 or even version 1607! One more thing and I don't recall if the other PC I was working that had the same version 1709 OS Build 16299.214. When I'd go to restart, it would lock up. You know the moving dotted circle, it would just freeze. The common thread regarding installing. .Net 3.5 Framework was the same version and the same build, so I'm actually going to install 1703, but how do I stop Windows updates from installing? I know you can delay it, but isn't there another way? I'm almost 100% certain that this build is causing the problem because all other PC's that have. .Net 3.5 Framework either have it. One didn't and I was able to install it by simply clicking the box, as you should with no errors, but it was a slightly lower build. It was 1709, but the OS build was 16299.201!

They need .Net 3.5 Framework for their billing software and other builds it can be installed. IMG_20180131_143858268.jpg

run: services.msc, find windows update at the bottom, stop it and set it to disabled.

so what's the drawback of permanently disable win 10 update? Set aside any security concern

because the windows club link did tell us it's not recommended.

or a better question is, what really are the improvement from the 1st build to today's win 10? what exactly did we really gain ? is there a table?

For that matter, I don't even know the benefit of win 10 if you are not using NVMe drive

You can't. Live with it.

And, 1709 killed my activation/registration. Took me 2 solid days to find a fix. And 5 hours on hold with M$ support.

1) is there a table that list all these build and what sort of improvement it makes since win 10 comes out

2) is it constitutional for microsoft to force these update to us? what about people who uses win 10 w/o internet? who about people who doesn't want to pay for the bandwidth of these update (say they are on a light bandwidth bill)?

1) is there a table that list all these build and what sort of improvement it makes since win 10 comes out

2) is it constitutional for microsoft to force these update to us? what about people who uses win 10 w/o internet? who about people who doesn't want to pay for the bandwidth of these update (say they are on a light bandwidth bill)?
There's an option to set your internet connection to "metered" which is supposed to prompt you rather than just starting to download updates without permission and filling up your drive with several GB.

But you have to dig for that setting, most people don't know it's there. And I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft stops honoring that setting at some point the way they no longer honor many group policy objects that are supposed to give users some control over updates.

The whole thing is just rotten. I used to be the big windows advocate in the office, had MCSE certs back in the day, but this new Microsoft makes it impossible to defend them.

try this:
open settings, go to network and internet, click change connection properties and turn on metered. then go to updates and security, click advanced options and turn off "automatically download...".

(don't have win10, not sure if this'll work)
If your machine is hooked up to a router with a firewall, then block
update.microsoft.com
windowsupdate.microsoft.com
windowsupdate.com

You could try it in windows with the firewall, or something like unbound, assuming windows doesn't just bypass it.
(slightly longer list)

I have seen in the past no. of months a lot of clients saying windows 10 doing its update, and just hang there at ??%. (say 82%).

Now, to me, these update could be the reason that locks up the other update. We have seen microsoft sending these update, and next thing you know, there is no internet

I look very closely at various websites on the benefit of Win 10. I can see a minor advantage having that calendar, but I'm looking around the into for a free calendar that can do the same thing

other than that, the only benefit is NVMe aware.

But w/ the gain of faster SSD speed, comes the time wasted w/ these updates that can stalk my work for even more time wasted than the few second gained from NVMe speed.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-happens-when-windows-10-expires

okay, let's say we stop win 10 from updating, could some of you click the above link, because it says:

If you see the Windows 10 Build expiration dates, you will notice that the build typically expires after 5 or 6 months.

2] Once your build reaches the license expiration date, your computer will automatically reboot approximately every 3 hours. As a result of this, any unsaved data or files you may be working on, will be lost.

3] The computer will no longer boot, 2 weeks after the license has expired. After the expiration date is crossed,

so this is a dead end?

=======================

and then there is this link that talks about what happened if you DID take the updates:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-updates-problems

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me how to stop Windows 10 from updating? Here's my new situation. Now the other problem I had with the other machines. They're both the Acer machines, but with Windows 10 version 1709 OS Build 16299.214. ALL machines that had this build would not install. .Net 3.5 Framework no matter how it was installed. I tried through Program Features, the normal way. I also tried Dism and having it read from the source, no go. I tried a batch file from the MS forums because I kept getting an error. Whatever method, I received this error. "Windows couldn't complete the requested changes.
The changes couldn't be completed. Please reboot your computer and try again.
Error code: 0x800F0950"

What I found was the machines that did have .Net 3.5 Framework had an OS Build that was different than 1709 OS Build 16299.214. Any PC's that had .Net 3.5 Framework had a lower OS build and some had build 1703 or even version 1607! One more thing and I don't recall if the other PC I was working that had the same version 1709 OS Build 16299.214. When I'd go to restart, it would lock up. You know the moving dotted circle, it would just freeze. The common thread regarding installing. .Net 3.5 Framework was the same version and the same build, so I'm actually going to install 1703, but how do I stop Windows updates from installing? I know you can delay it, but isn't there another way? I'm almost 100% certain that this build is causing the problem because all other PC's that have. .Net 3.5 Framework either have it. One didn't and I was able to install it by simply clicking the box, as you should with no errors, but it was a slightly lower build. It was 1709, but the OS build was 16299.201!

They need .Net 3.5 Framework for their billing software and other builds it can be installed.View attachment 52390

Ummmm, wait, are you saying that you are using the installation that came on those Acer machines? Dude, just download the Media Creation tool, create the install media to usb drive, boot off the drive, wipe the computer, redo from scratch, profit. The .net framework will then install without issue and you will not have the issue that the Acer image is obviously introducing. Yes, this is an old post I am responding too but, perhaps someone else will see it and be saved a headache.

**Problem Fixed**

Thanks guys for the help. Sorry I didn't get back to you. Got very busy, but I found out the problem, which I addressed on another thread. So, the main problem is they had all their computers in the office area had PCI-E WiFi adapters, but all computers were hardwired (later on, no doubt). So the problem was those computers originally had....well one had Vista and the rest had Windows 7, which all were upgraded to 10 at some time prior to their problems. Initially, everything was working great, but after they updated from 1703 to 1709, the WiFi adapters were somehow interfering with Windows. It was so bad, I couldn't even get Windows installed when I tried. Some machines went from 16xx to 1709. Anyway, removed the WiFi adapters and all was well, but thanks for your suggestions. The point is this caused the computers to behave unpredictably because they needed new drivers, which apparently not made available with the Fall Creator's Update. It made it where I couldn't even install Windows 10 on some and others I might get it installed and it might work flawlessly for a day and then it would crash. I finally figured it out after installing Win10 without entering a key and then, more importantly, I unplugged the Ethernet cables, so it wouldn't connect to the Internet. Before, when I had the problems, they were always connected, which wouldn't have been a problem had the WiFi adapters not been conflicting. I just found it safer to physically remove the cards as I did disable the via software, but their "admin" was just one of the employees that had some computer experience, but not enough.

other than that, the only benefit is NVMe aware.

But w/ the gain of faster SSD speed, comes the time wasted w/ these updates that can stalk my work for even more time wasted than the few second gained from NVMe speed.

NVMe support is not exclusive to Windows 10, even though Microsoft tries to create that perception. The latest NVMe drives benchmark exactly the same on Windows 7 and 8.1 - you just have to install the driver manually.

https://hardforum.com/threads/i7-8700k-and-nvme-raid-on-windows-7.1953759/

That's a solid lesson on relying on MS technologies such as .net. It will hurt you in the long run.

Almost as short sighted as the fools who built on IE.

NVMe support is not exclusive to Windows 10, even though Microsoft tries to create that perception. The latest NVMe drives benchmark exactly the same on Windows 7 and 8.1 - you just have to install the driver manually.

https://hardforum.com/threads/i7-8700k-and-nvme-raid-on-windows-7.1953759/

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023888/memory-and-storage.html

The video (2nd one) is very blur. I can't find back that same video in HD at youtube.

So the only part I don't understand is the PCIE remapping device part, when they switch from AHCI to ?? (too blur, can't read) at the BIOS screen

Now I never use Intel BIOS. I use Asus. What do we have to do on the BIOS part?

Last edited:
Looks like he's changing it to RAID mode, not sure why...It's not as if NVMe has anything to do with SATA (maybe it's just an Intel nuc thing).
If I recall correctly I just needed to enable legacy mode in CSM (look in the boot tab).

I know, and we assume there is only 1 SSD, so why would he pick RAID, I don't get it too. Regardless, I never use Intel BIOS, so I don't care

With Gigabyte Ultra Durable or ASUS, do they have remapping? I never pay attention to this "re mapping: feature

Back