cageymaru

Fully [H]
Todd Haselton of CNBC has written a guide on how to disable location services for apps to keep them from tracking your location. His guide covers the iPhone and Android ecosystems. For example, there are options in the menus to completely disable location services or to only enable it for certain apps when they are in use.

In recent years, Apple and Google have made it easier to identify the applications that have access to your information, and to turn off the ability for those apps to see where you are. Sometimes this can stop an app from performing correctly: a mapping application would need to know your location to provide you with accurate directions somewhere, for example. But others, like weather apps, don't necessarily need to know where you are at all times.

Privacy is an illusion. Unless you're ready to accept some extreme inconveniences, don't bother half assing it. Tech companies know you better than you. All that information is available to hordes of CS majors. It is almost certainly in the hands of a three letter organization. They're not going to treat your browsing, location, contact, and all the other maps they've created of you like PHI. Just embrace it.

bliss.gif

Now give me the forecast.

Privacy is an illusion. Unless you're ready to accept some extreme inconveniences, don't bother half assing it. Tech companies know you better than you. All that information is available to hordes of CS majors. It is almost certainly in the hands of a three letter organization. They're not going to treat your browsing, location, contact, and all the other maps they've created of you like PHI. Just embrace it.

View attachment 127112

Now give me the forecast.

Yes master. Would you like a blowjob with that too?

Some location tracking will not be able to be turned off, at least in Android.

However I cannot stress enough to go through and scrub what apps do allow you to turn them off, and do so. Especially your photos and any apps that you regularly upload photos to, Whatsapp, Instagram etc. There are tools out there that can show uploaded pictures based I on thier tracking information.

So you may not have any of your location dat turned on, and may be diligent with what you upload, but the family and friends or thier kids that you had at your house yesterday, were taking and uploading pictures of you, your house and belongings, with geo located images to thier open to the public instagram account.

This isn't tin foil hat stuff, I've seen and used the data for investigations. Pretty eye opening stuff.

Todd Haselton of CNBC has written a guide on how to disable location services for apps to keep them from tracking your location. His guide covers the iPhone and Android ecosystems. For example, there are options in the menus to completely disable location services or to only enable it for certain apps when they are in use.

In recent years, Apple and Google have made it easier to identify the applications that have access to your information, and to turn off the ability for those apps to see where you are. Sometimes this can stop an app from performing correctly: a mapping application would need to know your location to provide you with accurate directions somewhere, for example. But others, like weather apps, don't necessarily need to know where you are at all times.

I've spoken to this at length before on these forums, but there is nothing a individual can do to opt out of tracking these days. Even if you decide to not own a smartphone, and have no social media accounts, you still have your data bought sold and harvested by the internet giants, and you are associated in through your friends and family.

That, and wasn't it Google who was caught secretly leaving location services on, even if you disable them on the phone?

Essentially, the only thing that has even a remote hope of ending this is strong regulation banning the practice. Nothing else is even worth talking about.

I'm really past caring. Unless you want to "Ted Kaczynski" yourself, Resistance is Futile.

If it's spying on you, it’s a bad phone. Chuck it. I downgraded to a clamshell for emergencies only.

If it's spying on you, it’s a bad phone. Chuck it. I downgraded to a clamshell for emergencies only.

Even a clamshell phone has its location monitored by your cellphone network, and guess what, they monetize location data.

There are no choices you can make as an individual these days to opt out of spying, short of moving to the woods, growing all your own food, and drinking your own pee.

Even a clamshell phone has its location monitored by your cellphone network, and guess what, they monetize location data.

There are no choices you can make as an individual these days to opt out of spying, short of moving to the woods, growing all your own food, and drinking your own pee.

The woods have eyes and ears too. There is no way out even if you drink your own pee.

The woods have eyes and ears too. There is no way out even if you drink your own pee.

And don't eat the yellow snow!

Fine. If we can't opt-out, then I suggest we opt-in.

With ownership. Let's kickstarter a data aggregator, the biggest [H]ardest one ever. Right [H]ere, we have the need, the talent, the paranoia to make it possible for each of us to opt-out by simple executive vice-presidential decree. Ownership has its privileges.

We just have to decide who does the best Zuke impersonation and he gets to testify in front of Congress in 5 years, while we sip our martunis anonymously at an undisclosed poolside location.

;-)

Reactions: dgz
like this
And don't eat the yellow snow!

Fine. If we can't opt-out, then I suggest we opt-in.

With ownership. Let's kickstarter a data aggregator, the biggest [H]ardest one ever. Right [H]ere, we have the need, the talent, the paranoia to make it possible for each of us to opt-out by simple executive vice-presidential decree. Ownership has its privileges.

We just have to decide who does the best Zuke impersonation and he gets to testify in front of Congress in 5 years, while we sip our martunis anonymously at an undisclosed poolside location.

;-)
Not the dumbest business idea I was pitched today.

I’m in. I got $3.50 on it.

Back