how to stop annoying beep when gaming?

egon_dude

Limp Gawd
Have recently dowloaded and started playing the demo of the new game GTR (which is awesome btw) but every now and then if i press certain key combinations repeatedly while driving (ie braking and changing gear) the pc speaker will beep which puts me off as i keep thinking its the cpu getting too hot (which it isnt). Why is this? is there any way of turning it off? i have noticed it in a few other games such as nfsu, but GTR needs more concentration than that so its more distracting here.

buy a better keyboard.

I believe that when it beeps it means you are exceeding the maximum number of keys that can be depressed at one time.

The keyboard itself may be the cause, or you may have a bios setting that is restricting max keypresses

Since it's a racing game, get a gamepad or racing wheel??

hehe thought it might be the keyboard :D
its this 5 year old dell one (used to be beige from before they started making things dark grey) but its the most solid keyboard ive ever used due to the 2mm thick steel plate inside it and its been sprayed purple and silver to match my case . . . dont really want to give it up :(, everything else ive tried feels cheap and plasticky now lol.
Ill have a look around in my bios, if not, think the speaker might be getting unplugged :p not ideal but its really pissing me off now!

It may be the "sticky keys" function that Windows XP has for handicapped people. There are a number of different handicap features built into windows when you do things like press ctrl for 5 seconds or press shift 5 times. Go into the Control Panel and disable all that stuff.

Nah its defninetly not the sticky keys thing- i made sure they were all turned off ages ago, as they would make the game exit to the desktop if they were still enabled. Cheers for all your replies- i think i just might put a little switch in the speaker wire and hide it behind the bottom of the front of my case so its not on all the time.

It is your keyboard. I have the same problem with mine. I also use a Dell QuietKey and have the same issue. The solution is to get a better keyboard.

i had the pc speaker beeping at me one time becuase the onboard header for the fans was reading the rpm of a low speed fan and thought it was failing...

so i removed the speaker from the computer and tossed it in the garbage.. problem solved. :D

E-virus said:
It is your keyboard. I have the same problem with mine. I also use a Dell QuietKey and have the same issue. The solution is to get a better keyboard.

All keyboards are inherently the same in that respect. They keys are divided into "zones" and only so many keys from the same zone can be pressed at the same time.

Try pressing A S D E at the same time. You get a beep.
Now try A S D F. No Beep.
Add another key to it like A S D F K. No Beep.
Now try A S D F K L ; That is 7 keys at the same time, but they are spread accros three "zones".

You can only have 3 keys from the same "zone" pressed at the same time.

So don't buy a new keyboard, just remapp some of your controls so you have them spread accross different "zones"

Yeah Met-Al really knows what he is talking about, had the same probablly when pressing too many keys in SWG, so I just remapped a bit and fixed it

Back