How to share the Program Files Directory

DarkCyber

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, I've got several pc's on my LAN and one of them needs to pull data from the other one. The data needs to come from the Program Files directory. And the other pc can't navigate to the Program Files Directory. How can I force it to share that folder?

Thanks!

Try right clicking on the folder in an explorer window.
There will be a Propertities tab
That gets you a window with the properties of that folder
Click on the sharing and security tab
And set it up...

BTW.....
Sharing the Program Files folder is "NOT SMART" (i.e. "stupid as hell" cuz it lets everybody that can access your network see that directory and muck with it.)

If you really have to do this it would be better to reinstall the the data generating app to it's own folder and share that.

rodsfree said:
BTW.....
Sharing the Program Files folder is "NOT SMART" (i.e. "stupid as hell" cuz it lets everybody that can access your network see that directory and muck with it.)
I'm agreeing with you here, but do you know anything about permissions? You can't muck around if you don't have the appropriate permissions. Besides, share permission default to Everyone: Read Only...you have to manually change that to allow Full Control to any data under a share.

If you really have to do this it would be better to reinstall the the data generating app to it's own folder and share that.
Or just the application's directories that have the stored data.

If nothing else, an admin account can sail over c$ as long as username and passwords are the same and Simple File Sharing is off.

rodsfree said:
T
BTW.....

If you really have to do this it would be better to reinstall the the data generating app to it's own folder and share that./QUOTE]

Agreed...I especially get a chuckle when I see cases of the entire C drive shared out, or the %system& directory, or Docs 'n settings.

Ever see someone share the C drive, "think" they're being smart by locking down permissions...forgetting about that ever important "system" account, and go for a reboot? LOL

feigned said:
I'm agreeing with you here, but do you know anything about permissions? You can't muck around if you don't have the appropriate permissions. Besides, share permission default to Everyone: Read Only...you have to manually change that to allow Full Control to any data under a share.

Or just the application's directories that have the stored data.

If nothing else, an admin account can sail over c$ as long as username and passwords are the same and Simple File Sharing is off.

I said what I said because most home networks are setup in workgroup mode with simple file sharing and all of the permissions enabled.

I know about permissions.....I'm not assuming that anyone else does....especially when they ask about how to share the "Program Files" directory.
Remember....
"Assumption is the Mother of all fuckups." - Mr. Penn from Under Seige - Dark Territory

Cheers! :D

Back