How to share files without a internet connection

Hey Guys
I just wanted to know if anybody have ever setup and sent files between two computers with out a internet connection. Because I have a business client is looking for a solution that can do this between 2 computers in different offices at his shop.

Only solution I gave to the customer was use a flash drive and save the files onto the flash drive and transfer files that way.

you can network computers , you dont need an Inet connection, just connect them via wires or wireless and share drives, done.

Yeah hookup a switch or use a crossover cable... heck todays network cards may even do the crossover connection for you with a regular network card. I cant remember the last time i had to actually use a crossover cable for anything

buy a switch, set static ip's. share your data folders, collect your fee. Easy as that.

you could just do the crossover cable thing, but I like to make it easy to futureproof more systems into the mix.

i really dont mean to sound like an ass, but i have to ask this question-
how(or why) are you providing IT support to 'business clients' if you dont even know how to share a folder between two computers?

how(or why) are you providing IT support to 'business clients' if you dont even know how to share a folder between two computers?

supply and demand.

He supplies a service (or lack thereof) and clients demand it.

He obviously gets business.

I.T is really nothing but a lot of problem solving. He in essence is problem solving. He doesn't know the answer but he knows where to find them, deploy the fix to the problem, then add the process to his experience. We as I.T do this everyday. Some of us are further along than others, but we all employ the same concept.

Well see only problem is that the other computer is connected to the internet and I forgot to say that. Client doesnt want that other computer that is in a different office connected to the internet because of there invoicing of there customers and risking getting a virus and such.

What I can try also is that I can hook up a other computer to the other office then connect both computers to together by ethernet connection.

If anything what you may look into doing is plugging the other computer into the router if they have one, and then blocking all internet traffic from it.

add a 2nd network card into the first conmputer and connect it via that, no Inet will be shared, but a virus could still be transmitted in the end. just get some good AV and a firewall on the 2nd machine and your golden.

Maybe this might be pain in the butt I could always do is put it like this:

on second computer put 2 nic cards into it then connect it to a untangle box then from untangle box to the first computer.

I dont know how smart that would be but its a worth a shot.

Hey Guys
I just wanted to know if anybody have ever setup and sent files between two computers with out a internet connection. Because I have a business client is looking for a solution that can do this between 2 computers in different offices at his shop.

Only solution I gave to the customer was use a flash drive and save the files onto the flash drive and transfer files that way.

these are called Local Access Networks, or LANs for short ;)

to disable internet access on specific PCs in a network:
Control Panel, Network Connection, select the properties of the Local Area Connection, and then Properties of TCP/IP. You'll have to configure the IP address and subnet mask, and leave the Default Gateway and DNS server addresses blank.

Last edited:
If computer A connected to the internet gets a virus, its possible to infect computer B even via flash drives.

If the company values their data set up AV on both and network them, and to go a step further get some perimeter protection as well (DPI/untangle/Astaro/etc). In order for AV to be useful on computer B, it has to be able to get updates, and you can limit its outside connections just for AV updates with a real setup.

to disable internet access on specific PCs in a network:
Control Panel, Network Connection, select the properties of the Local Area Connection, and then Properties of TCP/IP. You'll have to configure the IP address and subnet mask, and leave the Default Gateway and DNS server addresses blank.

This is what I do for a dental office client I have. The operatory computers have no internet access. Just need access to the network to run the dental practice software and to connect to network printers. If those computers needed internet access (such if the dental office software vendor needs to fix something), I walk the client through how to add the default gateway back into the client computer. The computers all have antivirus software and get their updates/managed by the server (which is connected to the internet).

Another option would be to use the blocking systems that most home consumer routers offer. I did this for another client using the existing Netgear router. Blocked all port 80 traffic to one LAN IP address, left rest of the ports alone on that LAN IP address so the security camera software could be connected to over the internet (via port forwards).

I was looking on my linksys router and I seen that option now if the Access Restrictions is enable is both computers still be able to transfter files?

On the computer you don't want touching the internet, plug it into the router/switch, give it a static IP with no gateway or DNS. Make sure nothing is proxy-arping. Problem solved.

Well see only problem is that the other computer is connected to the internet and I forgot to say that. Client doesnt want that other computer that is in a different office connected to the internet because of there invoicing of there customers and risking getting a virus and such.

What I can try also is that I can hook up a other computer to the other office then connect both computers to together by ethernet connection.

Use a router that has the ability to limit internet access per device. Set a static DHCP lease for one computer, and grant it internet access. Block Internet access on all other attached devices. This is more secure than just disabling DNS on NIC properties..

I will give this a test on my own computers before I do this to my business client.

You should probably take a networking class or two at your local community college first before you start handing out advice to clients...

Use a router that has the ability to limit internet access per device. Set a static DHCP lease for one computer, and grant it internet access. Block Internet access on all other attached devices. This is more secure than just disabling DNS on NIC properties..

It's not just disabling DNS. You would be leaving off the default gateway, which is the important part. If nothing is performing proxy-arp then the device has no way to access anything outside of it's local subnet. IMO, this is a much better solution than trusting some off the shelf router to filter effectively...

you know you didnt have to be rude but I will be rude back I think I know how to setup my network bc I have setup my whole freaking network at my apt (what I mean by that is I have set up my own mail server,spam box,wireless networking, voip adapters etc...) and I also setup this business for extra routers and Also I used to work at a local ISP as a call technician. The reason why I asked this question because I didnt know a better solution.

also take a look at this http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036927905&postcount=3415

I have set that all up by myself with no help at my apt.

You should probably take a networking class or two at your local community college first before you start handing out advice to clients...

Last edited:
sweet setup. I see my previous comment did come across as rude, I apologize. Its just that I've dealt with so many clients where they call in a 'tech' (usually some kid from high school or the local college), comes in and fucks up everything before realizing they need somebody(me) with more then the ability to Google.

Back