How to share a printer?

I've got a USB printer hooked up to my desktop, and I want to share it so a laptop on the wireless can print off of it. I've set the printer as being shared (it has the hand under it) but I'm not sure how to get the laptop to see it.

You just have to add a printer on the laptop, and tell it that it is a network printer and tell it where it is.

EDIT: Scratch that, the laptop isn't seeing the network that I've placed my desktop in. My desktop is connected to the wireless router, and the laptop is using the wireless signal. Why isn't the laptop finding the desktops network?

if the printer is shared through windows etc. is the mac being a non-win platform going to find the computer at all? Dont know about macs, but with my linux box without some application I couldnt get to my other computers. perhaps a usb print server module? like 20 bucks at frys(outpost.com)

D1sc1pl3 0f Mal1c3 said:
EDIT: Scratch that, the laptop isn't seeing the network that I've placed my desktop in. My desktop is connected to the wireless router, and the laptop is using the wireless signal. Why isn't the laptop finding the desktops network?

I believe both computers have to have the same workgroup name, e.g. WORKGROUP. Then from the laptop try a start>run \\desktopcomputername and OK. If anything pops up you should have a window showing what is shared on the other computer. Just be sure to get the name of the desktop computer. Just in case...make sure the desktop machine is on, or you won't be sharing anything.

For the record the correct syntax for the location of the printer will be \\machinename\printer share name. If your network is communicating properly, the printer will probably show up as soon as you type in \\machinename at the network printer location dialogue box.
If the network is not communicating, make sure you have file and printer sharing enabled in the windows firewall.

say, for example - one is using the desktop for gaming and one is using the laptop for printing a report - you will lag up on the desktop - or even possibly crash the game...
your fragmaster wont be too thrilled.
so, you can buy a usb print server and locate it on your network - via the router (supposedly you can get a wireless print server too. )

Back