How to setup RAID in Windows 7?

BikePilot

Limp Gawd
This is my first time using the Intel Matrix RAID system (was using an AMD board with software RAID prior) and Windows 7. I have 7 installed on a single system disk (1tb samsung) and have 3 WD5000YS drives also installed. I would like to RAID-0 the three500gb drives and then set them as my primary drive and use the 1tb drive as backup.

My mobo is an Asus P5K-Deluxe wifi (ICH9R southbridge).

I have been unable to get the three 500's configured as a RAID array. I cannot install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager (get an error message saying system isn't compatible). I tried setting up the 500's in RAID in the BIOS (set SATA mode to RAID, then ctl+I to configure the three 500's in RAID-0), but then I am unable to boot (the 1tb drive is still the first drive in the boot priority). If I set the SATA mode back to IDE I can boot, but of course the three 500's aren't in a RAID array then.

Any help would be most appreciated!

First, disconnect the 1TB drive...either the power or data cable will do.
Now, in the RAID BIOS, configure the three drives into the array you want (volume size, stripe size, etc) and save.
Reboot back into BIOS and set your RAID volume as first in the hard disk boot priority.

Boot to the Win7 install disk...it should see your array as it's only option to install.

After the OS is in place, you can install the Matrix Storage Console by right clicking the .exe, go to "compatibility" tab and set it to run in compatibility mode for Vista.
Then right click the executable again and "run as administrator".

Make sure you have "write back caching" enabled for the RAID volume.

Last, plug the 1TB drive back in.
Recheck the boot order in BIOS to make sure the RAID volume is still set as the primary drive.

Done.

Working on it now, thanks! I'd hoped that it could be configured without reinstalling the os, but this should work:)

Back