How to setup my eSATA enclosure?

[H]ard|Nate

Weaksauce
Hey guys I just purchased the NextStar3 with eSATA but I am having a hard time with XP recognizing it. I plugged the eSATA adaptor into a spare SATAII compliant port, but nothing is working. It works using USB 2.0 but not eSATA. I have a MSI Neo Platinum, any suggestions? The manual states that the operating system should automatically recognize it but thats not happening..

No, I should have included that in my original message. It does when connected to USB, but not using eSATA.

I also want to add that other devices including a Raptor and Plextor SATA burner are working properly on surrounding channels. I don't know whats going on.

Are they all on the same controller? I'm not familiar with that motherboard. Make sure the connections are all tight, too.

Yep all SATA devices (including the external HD) are on the same controller. I have tried different channels to no avail. Do you think I might new a BIOS update?

Can you remove the drive from the enclosure and plug it in directly? That would eliminate one source of possible failure.

have you checked disk management? Are the disks appearing there? Can you check anything via the bios and see if you can recognize the disks? Have you done a bios update? Have you gone to their site and looked at their KB?

Ok, when HD is connected using USB it shows fine under Disk Management, when I connect it via eSATA there is nothing under Disk Management. I haven't tried hooking up the drive outside of the enclosure, but because it works via USB I think it would work fine outside the enclosure.

unhappy_mage said:
Can you remove the drive from the enclosure and plug it in directly? That would eliminate one source of possible failure.

Yeah I plugged it in directly and it is recognized properly, I have no idea what to do next. There must be some conflict between the eSATA to SATA connector. I don't think its defective, do you? Is it a motherboard problem?

OK, I used the eSATA (with a WD 320gb 16mb Buffer SATAII) connection plugged into my onboard Silcon Image RAID controller and it is recognized, I don't want to use this setup because my RAID controller doesn't support SATAII, I tried plugging my Raptor into the RAID controller and using the 320gb in NV Raid (SATAII) compliant ports and nothing could be booted. I still don't know whats going on here, even when the 320gb is recognized in SI Raid Controller it is still not available under Disk Management. I have determined it to be a conflict somewhere in NV RAID drivers, I just reformatted my computer today and installed the last drivers, so I don't know what else I can do. Damn, I should have just bought some cheapass USB2.0 enclosure instead of monkeying with this all night.

Here is my motherboard LINK.

If it was powered from the PC power supply, I'd say you've narrowed it down to the enclosure as a possible source of problems. I would have thought getting e.sata wrong would have required some doing, but yet again I am proved wrong. Call tech support and see if you can get them to issue an RMA at least.

I can't determine for sure that it is a defectvie enclosure. When I hook it up via eSATA it is recognized my Silcon Image controller, but not by my other SATA ports. Also, the enclosure works fine using USB so I don't know.

[H]ard|Nate said:
Also, the enclosure works fine using USB so I don't know.

That just means the USB bridge chip works.

Real simple test here.

1. Power the drive from the enclosure, don't connect the data cable up though.
2. Connect a regular SATA cable from the drive's data connecter to the external connector you want to use with the enclosure.

If the drive works, the enclosure's bad. End of story.

The_Mage18 said:
Real simple test here.
2. Connect a regular SATA cable from the drive's data connecter to the external connector you want to use with the enclosure.

Ok that sounds like it would work, but there is a problem, unless I am not understanding you. The external connector is an eSATA adpator that connects internally(to a SATA port on my motherboard) Then an eSATA cable runs from the enclosure into the external eSATA port behind my case. I think for your suggestion to work I would need an eSATA cable to connect directly to the back of the drive and then connect it straight to the adaptor, I don't think they sell these cables? I am sorry for bugging everyone, but I want to make sure before I RMA this thing that I have exhausted all possible solutions. Thanks so much for you help, it is really appreciated, please respond if I misinterpreted your suggestion.

The_Mage18 said:
1. Power the drive from the enclosure, don't connect the data cable up though.
I thought it was bad to power a drive from a different supply than was driving the controller chip. Something about voltage in large quantities would end up flowing across the data cable. I could be wrong though.

Nate: What do eSATA cables look like? I thought they were physically compatible with regular sata cables. Post pictures if possible.

i bough the same enclosure to lower operating temps in my sn25p. I also however cannot get it to work. does work with usb, drive is wd2500JD. Any progress? Also the enclosure's cable does nto allow for seperate power and data

Well, I couldn't get the enclosure to work with eSATA so I RMAed it and a new one should be arriving sometime next week. I am dissappointed to hear that the poster above me could not get it to work as well, it makes me think that theres something other than the enclosure that is causing the problem. If my new enclosure still doesn't work, I will know its something else.

I have this enclosure and a seagate 7200.7 200gig in it. works great, no config problems or anything. Using it with an nforce3 Asus board.

Both USB and SATA work. Considering the enclosure takes an sata drive, puts it to eSATA (which is the same interconnect with a sheilded cable) then back to regular sata and into the mobo. Basically yours works fine on usb so the connection to the drive is fine as far as the USB adapter chip is concerned, this only leaves a bad eSATA cable or bad internal cable (the one on the bracket). I really couldnt think of it being something else other than mobo.

Incidently I hope your using this thing for occasional storage cause its EXCESSIVELY hot when used for long periods. Im using it for bacing up data which means my first usage consisted of writing about 120 gigs of data to it and when it was done i went to remove it, well it was crazy hot to touch. Its hot but not excessively when just attached and not in usage. Just warning you, not sure what your intended use for it was.

I should be getting my new RMAed enclosure on Thursday. My enclosure doesn't get as hot, my drive runs cool. I'll let you know if it works.

Hi {H}ardINate,
How do you getting on the new enclosure?
Does it work on eSata connection?
Thank you.

Back