How to set voltage at a locked setting with Afterburner for XFX RX480

Status
Not open for further replies.

scgt1

Supreme [H]ardness
So the problems I was having months ago have never really gone away. I just chocked it up for being a Radeon software issue with how my setup is considering I was having similar problems with: Asus Strix RX460, Asus Strix RX480, and the current XFX GTR RX480 BE. Every piece of hardware was changed (B150M Mortar Arctic to Asus Z270G) or pulled from a perfectly fine pc (ram) to test in this one and during the ram testing process I found out the original ram in this system had a bad stick so in the end a brand new set went back in that was tested and passed memtest along with the ram from my game rig passing memtest and being tested in this build also.

I also hooked up another brand new EVGA psu. The only thing that wasn't swapped out was my 950 PRO, My 6TB media drive, and my 6600K. I've been running onboard for 2 weeks now without a single gray/black screen freeze with the loudest most horrible sounding repeating audio and hard locked computer issue that I've had so many times over with this XFX card.

I decided to start some googling and low and behold just as I told the XFX rep from reviews on Newegg for their RX480 cards there are also countless posts scattered around about this very issue with their cards and others. I don't use wattman because it's unstable so I use MSI Afterburner instead. I would like to follow what is suggested in this post with adjusting the voltage to see if that corrects these problems before I just completely give up on Radeon and go team green.

If I open the Wattman portion of the Radeon settings I don't have a screen that looks exactly like the one in the above post. I have no frequence/voltage control toggle on the lower left to force the setting which I assume is because I have Afterburner installed. Going into afterburner my card stays while idle at 850mv-867mv while the clock is 300MHZ-499MHZish. It does have the occasional spike to 1100mv for a split second while something is happening in the background.

My inquiry is to how can I follow the above information in the link to force the card to the suggested setting since it cycles the voltage with the core clock. I have Unlock Voltage Control (third party), Unlock voltage monitoring, and force constant voltage all checked yet it still cycles the mv around in the monitoring program and is also reporting changes in my taskbar from Rivatuner between .9-1.1.

My Wattman page (top is mine bottom is the one from the link above to compare the difference)
mQHgOrg.jpg

My afterburner on low end
oWkeXQ4.jpg

My afterburner at a high end quick spike
wKAGeyl.jpg

Well I guess I never rebooted before after checking some of those boxes above in Afterburner. I had it on the recommended 1105mv and it gray screened shortly after starting to stream. I now have it at +60mv and it still crapped out. I'm about done with this card. Team green is calling me. This is a very widespread issue if searching RX480 gray or black screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back