How to set "focus" display?

VulcaN

[H]ard|Gawd
How do I move around the focus display icon? In the photo below you can see how I like to have it, so the "Focus" (or which display is being accelerated by SLI, if I have that correct?) is on the right screen (number 1) and the main display is on the left.

This happens on its own every once in a while, but I can never figure out how to do it manually. I like to keep my icons / taskbar off the screen I game on basically.

I can right click on the 1 or 2 and set the "main" display but there is no option for focus.

focusd.jpg

Unfortunately you cant, clicking and dragging just moves the 1 + 2 entire display around. I just want to move that little square "focus display" icon that seems to move on its own when it pleases.

Right click your desktop and hit 'screen resolution'
Click on the display that is #2 and then click the checkbox "Make this my main display."

It's a windows thing, not a nvidia driver thing.

No the main display is fine, that should stay on the left. I'm asking just how to move that focus box around like how it is in the photo. The photo is correct, its just that it seems to do it on a whim whenever it pleases. I want to be able to set it on command.

No the main display is fine, that should stay on the left. I'm asking just how to move that focus box around like how it is in the photo. The photo is correct, its just that it seems to do it on a whim whenever it pleases. I want to be able to set it on command.

I know what you were asking. Setting the main display on the windows screen res thing should do it. If it does not. DISABLE the 'extend monitors' thing, then re-enable it when you have the correct monitor set as single display.

Hate to necrobump, but does anyone else have the issue where their focus display gets set to their other monitor, rather than their main display every time they reboot windows? I've tried setting it through Windows, changing it on the Nvidia control panel, and it all works -- however, when I reboot the system, it reverts back to being broken.

switch the plugs on your gpu so that the correct display is the focus display.

I've tried having them side by side, then I moved the secondary display to the second card. That works too. When a setting changes it works. But when the computer restarts, it reverts back to being the focus display despite it _NOT_ being the main display.

are you sure you don't have a profile loading on startup from the nv control panel? that would be my guess.

Thanks for the replies. I don't think I have a profile loading on start up. How would I check?

Open your NVCP and go to the 'Profile policies' option from the Performance section.
Hit the clear button and apply.
reset your focus display and restart your machine.

The latest 280.xx that nvidia offers on their site.
I've had the option for years though.

nvidiaprofile.jpg

I just uninstalled the driver, rebooted, downloaded 280.26 from nvidia's website, and did a clean install. I still don't have those dialog menu options.

I just re-formatted my entire OS, then installed that system tools after 280.36. And that seems to have fixed it.

Okay, what's the difference between main and focus display? I do not see focus on my dual screen setup dialog like that! It must be an SLI thing.

btw, I found this FAQ:

"How do I change the SLI focus display?
The SLI focus display can be configured in three ways: 1) Assigning the primary monitor from the Windows Vista Display Properties Control Panel, 2) assigning the primary monitor from the NVIDIA Control Panel > Set up multiple displays page, or 3) selecting the SLI focus display for the NVIDIA Control Panel > Set SLI configuration page."

http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_faq.html#s6

It still doesnt work like that for me. I can change the "main display" aka primary monitor, and that drags the focus along with it, but I cannot change just the focus display. And we know its possible to have a focus display seperate from the main display because as someone else mentioned sometimes when your computer restarts they are different.

Same problem even today. With two monitors enabled, I simply cannot switch the focus display to the 2nd monitor no matter which is set as the primary display. I have to disable one of them.

Back