How to schedule windows power management?

s4rge

Limp Gawd
As you know most cpu's can clock themselves down when there idle or dont have much load. i have this feature disabled because i use my computer for gaming. However, its on 24-7 and while im sleep i would like for it to clock down.

If i set it to "always on" in power options my CPU will not clock down which is normal.

If i set it to minimal power than it will clock down and up by itself.

Now how i do i put this on a schedule? I would like @ for example 9am-1am to be set for "ALWAYS ON.

However, after 2am i would like the computer to automatically set itself to minimal power management so the cpu is able to clock down while im sleep.

Thanks.

Os windows xp

You can probably do this using task scheduler to run a batch file, using power profile registry entries exported to .reg files.

Each batch file would contain something like:

regedit /s whichpowerprofile.reg
Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme

The registry entries for the "current" power profile is in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\PowerCfg. The value is in CurrentPowerPolicy, a number from 0 to 5. This is the value you would export for each of your power profiles that you want to switch.

I don't have an XP system handy to test this right now, but it should work.

edit: Personally, I would just leave power management enabled all the time. It makes very little difference in performance while it's enabled and power management saves power and lets the computer run cooler.

Should we consider whether it is an Intel or AMD when setting power mgt. options? I've read that in AMD systems we have to set it as "minimal power mgt."

Back