how to save/find internet settings before format?

egon_dude

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,
The family computer downstairs (dell 4500s) badly needs a reformat after being on the same windows xp installation for over 2 years- no amount of defragging and spyware removal seems to help anymore :rolleyes: so im wanting to wipe it and start again . . . but the only thing stopping me are the dial up intenet settings. Its a freeserve anytime account and im worried that im not going to be able to set it up agian when i reinstall windows- this probably seems like a really basic question but ive never had to set up a dial-up account before lol.
Are there any tips about either saving the current settings to disc so i can just restore them, or the general process of how to go about setting it up?
cheers,
matt.

The Files and Settings Transfer Wizard is a free tool from Microsoft included with XP service pack 1. It might be something to check out? It is a wizard based tool, and will allow you to copy your user account settings to a disc, and then restore them to a new machine... in theory. If your computer is full of spyware crud, I am not sure if some of that would be transfered... depends on what you would select to be copied I guess?

If you like command line tools the User State Migration Tool from Micros~1 is pretty good.

Back