How to run ripped DVDs in VMC?

Parabellum

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, here is an easy one for you HTPC gurus. As stated in another thread, I've ripped my collection of DVD with DVD Decrypter so the entire content of the DVD is stored on my HDD. With WinDVD, I browse the folder where the DVD is stored and click run from a folder but I am not able to do this is VMC. Also, there are no jackets of the movies. Everything runs fine when I insert a physical DVD into my drive.

What I would like to have is the access of my stored DVD by selecting them with the "cover" or image of the actual movie. How can I do this?

Serge

I've used both methods, and both work exceptionally well. The first method with the Vista registry hack is the easiest. MyMovies takes a little longer to setup and get used to, but it offers far more versatility with more media types. It can also auto-mount ISO's when you use DaemonTools in combination with it.

2 ways:

1) (this can only be done with .vob movies) DVD Library Registry Hack
http://channel8.msdn.com/Posts/Use-Vista-and-Media-Center-to-make-the-best-digital-DVD-library-EVER/

2) (has most file type compatability, including blu-ray (windvd) .mkv and avi) mymovies
http://www.mymovies.dk/

Thank you very much dude! I tried My Movies first and altough it works fine, I find it a bit complicated for what I want to do. Then I tried the vista hack and after an hour of fiddling, everything works very fine.

I find this strange however that you have to "hack" VMC to do what you want do to. I suspect M$ was forced to do this since they probably cannot endorse "legally" ripped content.

Serge

That's probably right. Let me know if you want to stream the VOBs to xbox 360 or any other Media Center Extender with forced subs or about making them mobile with orb.

mymovies isn't that complicated. And once you get used to it you'll like it better. I have my setup so streamlined that I don't have to enter anything. just paste the movie over in the folder and mymovies adds it automatically.

I would like to stream my VOBs to my xbox 360. As I understand, the media extender in the 360 supports mpeg-2, so I think it's just a matter of getting it in the right container. I put a vob into an mpg container and it didn't work. Don't remember the tool I used. Right now I'm converting them to xvid which is working alright, but there's a bit of quality loss I'm not happy with. I also tried x.264, and it looked nice, but I think that is overkill for dvd. Besides, it would take forever to convert my whole library, and when storage is so cheap I might as well keep them in mpeg-2.

The container you might want to use with the xbox and VMC is .dvr-ms

1) I rip and re-author to VOB format using DVD Shrink 3.2 -- This includes removing ALL extras and ALL menus, so you're left with only the movie. (If you have enough storage space, you can keep an ISO version on the HDD alongside the VOB. This would maintain the menu/extras when you have the HTPC output directly to a TV).

2) I use the VideoReDo TVsuite "Quickstream Fix" function to quickly convert the VOB container to .dvr-ms format (It creates a single mpeg2 file that VMC and extenders think is a recorded show!)

3) I separate each movie into its own directory under one main directory named \MOVIES. (Each movie folder now contains one .dvr-ms version and one ISO version).

4) I import each movie folder into the My Movies plug-in for use with VMC and extenders.

This method allows me to stream the movies using VMC to each of my Xbox360 extenders, and it also retains my ability to use the Fast Forward and Rewind functions, which is crucial! It's a little bit of work to get each movie loaded, but it's well worth it when it comes time to watch one of them!

I also use Orb to watch them anywhere I have an internet connection -- even on my phone! In other words, I have access to my entire movie collection from anywhere in the modern world! :)

Now, storing and streaming HD content is a whole different animal... I haven't even started messing with it... yet!

Good luck.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

I installed orb once but it seems that it can only stream to internet devices, not directly to systems on the same network. Plus I don't like the idea of some company having access to all my media.

Now to find a way to get my library of xvid videos to play on xbox 360 mce. Will probably have an htpc before that works out.

I just use this:

Vader504's transcoder

With the following arguement:

-dvd-device "{0}" dvd://{2} -alang en -slang en -forcedsubsonly -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=5000:keyint=18:vstrict=0:aspect=16/9 -vf scale=720:480,harddup -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf -ofps 30000/1001 -o "{1}" -quiet

Also Orb incorporates itself into mediacenterextenders and converts/streams to the xbox 360 on the fly.

Orb and DVD library on media center:
mediacenter.jpg

DVD library:
dvdlibmce.jpg

The same folder "DVD Library" as seen via orb in MCE
orbinmce.jpg

It seems redundant but I use orb for playing other file types such as divx, avi, etc. or for streaming to my laptop when I'm away from home.

I just use this:

Vader504's transcoder

With the following arguement:

-dvd-device "{0}" dvd://{2} -alang en -slang en -forcedsubsonly -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=5000:keyint=18:vstrict=0:aspect=16/9 -vf scale=720:480,harddup -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf -ofps 30000/1001 -o "{1}" -quiet

Here is a quick tutorial. http://iandixon.co.uk/cs/wikis/mediacenter/dvd-library-on-extenders-using-vader-s-transcoder.aspx

Will this work with blu-ray rips?
No. For that you have to use MyMovies and have it automount your movies using DaemonTools so it plays them back through PowerDVD when you click the icon in media center.

No. For that you have to use MyMovies and have it automount your movies using DaemonTools so it plays them back through PowerDVD when you click the icon in media center.

Not necesserly. You can store them as .mkv and then you don't need daemon tools and the only part of powerdvd you need is the codec for HA. This is what I do. Mymovies will simply play the file.

Until OpenMediaLibrary gets back to work and allows .m2ts files. (It currently works the same as MM, by automounting Blu-ray ISOs)

Not necesserly. You can store them as .mkv and then you don't need daemon tools and the only part of powerdvd you need is the codec for HA. This is what I do. Mymovies will simply play the file.
Yes, of course. I was referring to a rip with an ISO, so all the menus and extras and everything function as if it was the original disk. ie, a 1:1 copy.

Back