How to run both cores on F@H Graphic client

alik4041

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a P4 3ghz HT. I want to use both cores when I'm away from my pc. Currently it's only 50 percent.

BTW, that 52C is the weather on weatherbug not my cpu ;)
hyperthreadingox7.png

I have a P4 3ghz HT. I want to use both cores when I'm away from my pc. Currently it's only 50 percent.

BTW, that 52C is the weather on weatherbug not my cpu ;)

Wow, I wouldn't want to live were you do. 125 degrees outside is just too hot for me since I work outside most of the time.

As far as your CPU usage goes, you only have one core on a HT CPU. It actually is running at 100% folding even though task manager is showing 50%. If you must see 100% to be happy, you can use two instances of the CONSOLE client. Your gain in points will be very small, probably 10% or so. It's better for the science to run just one on a HT CPU so the results are returned to Stanford as quick as possible.

The graphical program will only run on one core.

Do you have a dual core, or a CPU with HT? HT is not the same. The wisdom from here is don't use HT for folding... just run one instance.

If you want to run two instances, run the console version... not the graphical version. But don't do this if you don't really have two cores.

The P4 3 GHz is single core and the HT will cause it to show only 50% but don't worry, you are still doing 100%. As others said, I suggest you run the console version because it has less bugs and will not clog your desktop or your taskbar ;)

Thanks everyone. I completely understand it now :) BTW, that was 52F not C :p I always judge temps in C so :rolleyes: Thanks again.

HT sucks :(

If someone can point out where HT has actually helped them, please tell me.

In the single-core era, HT helped multitasking to a certain extend, by making things running more smoother. With the advent of dual-cores, this is now a moot point but I think Nehalem will include some sort of HT back to further optimize the cpu utilization :eek:

HT Rules! Back in the day, you could get an extra 20% points boost by running 2 CPU fah clients with HT.

Nowadays, it allows you to run both a CPU client AND a GPU client without a serious slowdown in both clients.

And it allows you to cheat and run the SMP client on really fast P4s, and bring in some smokin points.

Did I mention that HT Rules!?

The way Microsoft shows HT in Windows is what sucks. :( One fah client can be cruising along using 99.9% of the entire processor, and Windows only shows a 50% CPU usage. Sucks rocks, that does.

Say, I hear there might be a Mod position open over here. Where does one apply? ;) [puts on three layers of flame proof gear] JK! Don't get any more bent. :p

Nowadays, it allows you to run both a CPU client AND a GPU client without a serious slowdown in both clients.

And it allows you to cheat and run the SMP client on really fast P4s, and bring in some smokin points.

Did I mention that HT Rules!?

Did you just recommend running a CPU and GPU client on the same HT box? Do you have any numbers to backup little slow down of the clients? I'm just curious as from what all I know this would be a mess. I've not tried this config/recall posts with this config (uni CPU/GPU).

SMP on HT can't be too good of an idea.

Recommend? No. But I'm no Stanford lacky either. ;)

See here: Running both a CPU and GPU folding instance on a HT P4

I can't recommend SMP on really fast P4s either, and actually recommend against it. But when you have a P4 with HT running at 4+ GHz, it just makes the SMP deadlines that dual 2 GHz Conroes are just making. But as the SMP WUs get bigger and more complex, this will easily become a problem. EAYOR.

Important part, I quit reading after the first post!
Code:
GPU                     CPU 
330pts                  359pts                    Total PPD 
p2730                   p2129 

9:55 (479 PPD)          XXX                        479 PPD 
10:18 (461 PPD)         59:40 (86.6 PPD)           548 PPD 
XXX                     42:25 (122 PPD)            122 PPD

I hope this whole GPU polling deal get resolved.

Back