How to run a Dell 2209WA at 75Hz

Sync polarity doesn't matter on most monitors and won't have an effect on the picture quality. It simply affects whether the voltage is raised (+) or lowered (-) for the sync pulse. Pretty much every monitor these days can handle both. There are no advantages or disadvantages either way.

Nowadays, it's just used for informational purposes to mark which timing standard is being used. CVT-RB (typically used for LCDs) is +/-. 1080p LCDs using CEA (HDTV) timing parameters would have +/+. It doesn't really matter though.

Sync polarity probably matters most when doing Nvidia 2D surround with monitors that are not the same make and model, because they must all run with the same resolution, Hz and sync polarity.

Great, thank you very much wise men, for your prompt reply. With the polarity question I lead off from the official DELL documentation mentioned here in this thread too. In the document, Under Preset Display Modes, there is a list of resolutions, frequencies, pixel clocks and polarity. And I was a little bit confused by this.

Well, so there is my settings, in enclosed image. And just a quick question, is this setup gonna work without any harmful effects on the panel over time? Since I do not know most of these entries (front porch, sync width, total pixels, pixel clock...), I cannot tell.

monitor_freq.png

Dear Hardforum,

I learned from this thread that my ancient Dell 2209WA Monitors can be run @75Hz, and I enjoy it a lot. I have 2 of them, and both work flawless at 75Hz.

Now I got into iRacing lately and that game really benefits of 75Hz. I like the game that much that I bought another 2209WA and started to run all three as a Nvidia Surround Spanning Display. All 3 monitors are assigned the custom resolution @75Hz. Once I activate surround, it shows as a 5040x1050x32 @75Hz display. So far, so good.

But once I start iRacing, it is being reset to 60Hz, confirmed via the OSD.

Is there anyone who can help me troubleshoot overclocking these monitors in surround? In Windows, it runs @75Hz, but once I start a game, it is send back to 60Hz.

I have no clue how to counteract this behaviour. A single monitor works flawless in iRacing at 75Hz, but the spanned display is reset to 60Hz. Why is that?

Thanks in advance if someone comes up with ideas.

Regards,
hux0

I've just installed the old official Dell 2209WA driver (downloaded from Dell website) on my Win10 rig. Manually add custom resolution with 75Hz CVT-RB. Yay. It works (1680x1050@75Hz on the OSD).

Last edited:
Back