How To Rip Blu-ray Discs

HardOCP News

[H] News
Want to know how to rip Blu-ray discs? If you answered yes to that question, you’re in luck, the folks at Gizmodo have a quick and dirty Blu-ray ripping guide posted just for you.

Ripping Blu-ray discs sucks. Hard. It takes forever, eats up a ton of hard drive space, and for all practical purposes requires software that isn't free. It's like trying to rip a DVD in 1999: computers still have a long way to go before this is easy.

Well, duh. They've made it a tedious task through sheer volume. Just like how Windows installs
have gotten so large that even a bare OS install of Vista or 7 requires more space (and time)
to ghost for backup purposes. If you can't protect your product, just make it too large to make
it worth copying. :)

Ive been doing it for awhile, Just use the most current AnyDvd 6.5.2.2 rip to image, Then mount with Daemon Tools or Virtual Clone Dive, then watch in Power DVD, or incoporate My Movies with VMC and watch from there. You can also burn the Image if you have a burner and the media it is just expensive right now.

i have anydvd, been using it for about a year now, its quite easy ripping br disks with it

AnyDVD HD and Eac3To FTW. Got a nice collection of original quality BR movies on my 1TB drives, and can play them in any player like any other movie (unlike the .iso method.)

LOL, i love how they say the software isn't free.. like people pirating bluerays are going to give a crap about pirating software to rip bluerays...

I just need to get my hands on a external blu ray drive and I am good to go.

LOL, i love how they say the software isn't free.. like people pirating bluerays are going to give a crap about pirating software to rip bluerays...

i paid for anydvd, totally worth every penny

I think a more appropriate response would have been: "Wow, it's sad that I have to pay $80 just to exercise my right to fair use of my legally bought and paid for Blu-ray disks."

On a side note, last time I used RipBot264, it was awful. I recommend MeGUI for this task - it's nowhere near as automated, and you'll have to read up and understand x264 a little bit, but the results will be infinitely better.

Eh, it's not always about pirating. At least with DVD, I like to rip movies and store them all on a single media drive with a menu system so I can keep my disks in a safe place, never to be used.

Might be trickier with Blu-ray I think as it takes up much more space.

How big is the average Blu-ray rip anyways on a 2 hour movie (assuming you'll just rip one sound format (say, DTS 5.1), and leave out all the features and foreign subtitles)?

Copying your own shit you paid for to a different format is not pirating. Like perhaps, ripping a cd to play on your mp3 player, or if you ever dubbed a cd to tape b/c your car stereo was old school.

Same difference.

How big is the average Blu-ray rip anyways on a 2 hour movie (assuming you'll just rip one sound format (say, DTS 5.1), and leave out all the features and foreign subtitles)?

20-40gigs. it's almost not worth it for pirates right now. $100 for a 1tb drive, that can hold maybe 14 movies, plus the cost of hispeed internet. unless they're just watching then deleting, but if that's the case why not just rent the damn things.

20-40gigs. it's almost not worth it for pirates right now. $100 for a 1tb drive, that can hold maybe 14 movies, plus the cost of hispeed internet. unless they're just watching then deleting, but if that's the case why not just rent the damn things.

Rip then encode with x264. 1080p rips average 12GB. And x264 in the hands of someone who really knows what they are doing (not me :p) produces visually identical to source encodes.

Ive been doing this with my personal collection for awhile now
compressing is what takes the longest (18-24 hours on dual core) 8-10hrs on quad core)
anydvd to rip then tsmuxer to strip out unwanted streams then ripbot to compress (almost no quality loss when you go to dvd DL size 8g or so)

Anyone that's a fan of jDobbs and his DVD Rebuilder should keep an eye out for his new software - BD Rebuilder. Much like it's predecessor back in the day, it's in early beta (free, of course, until full release if like DVD-RB), probably very buggy (can't test ; don't own a BR drive or media), but will likely become a nice little piece of shrinking software.

I'm not so sure how great a BR 'shrink' would look on a BD-5 (DVD-5 w/ BD source if I'm reading the wikipedia entry right, ie encode with BDRB, burn using standard DVD burner), but given the right source, may look fine on BD-9 (see BD-5).

Yeah there's a decent choice of ripping/encoding software/packages out there already, but has anyone else done the menus/extras backup option yet? Maybe by the time Bluray burners & media become less ridiculously priced, BDRB may be ready for primetime.

MakeMKV is an all-in-one ripping/encoding tool for DVD, HD DVD, and Blu Ray that seems to be getting pretty popular. I don't have a Blu-Ray drive to try it out though, not yet anyway.

http://www.makemkv.com/

I have seen a bluray rip re-encoded to 4.4GB (dvd size) with the new codec versus the previous MPEG2 dvd codec. It utterly destroys DVD quality. There is no reason to have 20-40GB per movie for the average person really.

Too bad they just didn't officially roll out DVDs with the new codec. That would have been an instant market success with cheap players.

Rip then encode with x264. 1080p rips average 12GB. And x264 in the hands of someone who really knows what they are doing (not me :p) produces visually identical to source encodes.
Most of the HD scene releases seem to aim for "99% transparency". Which means that, effectively, the rips are not quite perfect, but really damn close. I've yet to notice any artifacts on any of Blu-ray rips I've downloaded.

So, for me, I buy the Blu-ray, I fire up SABnzbd (a great browser-based Usenet downloader) and download the rip. Before I go to bed, I have a Blu-ray rip that's generally of much higher quality than I could do myself. No useless Blu-ray drive required. Sometimes the only thing available is a PS3 rip in an MT2S container, so I sometimes have to remux it to a MKV, but that's rare.

Eventually, I'll get a Blu-ray drive, but I doubt I'll ever stop downloading Blu-ray rips.

Its faster to just download them then doing h264 rips. ;)
Yep.

so apps like VLC and Windows Media Player should be able to play them without problems

Hahahaha. Good one Gizmodo. Maybe you should leave it to the experts.

I have seen a bluray rip re-encoded to 4.4GB (dvd size) with the new codec versus the previous MPEG2 dvd codec. It utterly destroys DVD quality. There is no reason to have 20-40GB per movie for the average person really.

Too bad they just didn't officially roll out DVDs with the new codec. That would have been an instant market success with cheap players.

How would the 4.4gb rip look on large screens? I'm in the process of building a home theater room and I'm going the 1080p projector route. I have an HTPC prepped for DVD storage (ripped into ISO format). I haven't picked out a screen yet, but I'm leaning towards maybe 60 or so inches.

Would watching it straight off the Blu-ray disk still be ideal for that big of a screen?

That's the BIG mistake they made with HD-DVD & why they failed. Instead of trying to match Bluray's storage capacity, they should have just optimized the codec/resolution using standard DVDs. They would have instantly had a huge market on PC's with just an player upgrade.

Well i have 3 1.5 Terebyte hard drives and need to add more ATM, each drive can hold about 32 to 38 movies, So if you do the math 1 Hard Drive for $124.99 for 34 movies is cheaper the 34 Blu-Ray movies on Disc at a Average of $24.99 - $29.99.
OWNED!

Your cost analysis doesn't seem to factor in having to, you know, buy the movies. Yeah, the storage medium is cheaper with hard drives, but what you're paying for (or rather not paying for) is for the content itself.

So, the real math is: $24.99-$29.99 per movie plus the cost of the hard drive. That's my cost, anyway.

I remember reading this last friday, and was thinking, why doesnt the author just get a standard definition and rip it to the resolution he wanted, which was 640x300, with clonedvd mobile. Would have taken no more than 25min at the most.

Doesn't AnyDVD make this a non issue? You might be able to use a free program like DVD Shrink to re-author the disc to get rid of garbage like "extras", adds and idiotic movie trailers.

I remember reading this last friday, and was thinking, why doesnt the author just get a standard definition and rip it to the resolution he wanted, which was 640x300, with clonedvd mobile. Would have taken no more than 25min at the most.

Exactly. DVD is 720 x 480. The whole point of Bluray is higher resolution and more extras. The selection isn't as good, they're more expensive, take up way more space, and the tools to work with them are immature.

If he's going to strip out the extras and re-encode to sub-DVD levels... wtf is the point of using Bluray as the source?

Up next - how to hax0r a Ferrari so you can peddle it down a bike path.

Your cost analysis doesn't seem to factor in having to, you know, buy the movies. Yeah, the storage medium is cheaper with hard drives, but what you're paying for (or rather not paying for) is for the content itself.

So, the real math is: $24.99-$29.99 per movie plus the cost of the hard drive. That's my cost, anyway.

Who said anything about buying the movies?

Who said anything about buying the movies?
Uh-oh. We have ourselves a self-admitted pirate here gents!

If you're going to be downloading a bunch of movies, you really need to be paying for them at some point. Otherwise, you're just leeching off an entire industry -- an industry in which I happen to work in ;)

Unless, of course, you believe that buying hard drives is somehow putting money in the pockets of people like me...?

...my BD-Rom for my notebook won't be here till sometime after Thursday at the earliest. Damn that small print that says 5-10 business days FROM SHIPPING DATE.

I think a more appropriate response would have been: "Wow, it's sad that I have to pay $80 just to exercise my right to fair use of my legally bought and paid for Blu-ray disks."

On a side note, last time I used RipBot264, it was awful. I recommend MeGUI for this task - it's nowhere near as automated, and you'll have to read up and understand x264 a little bit, but the results will be infinitely better.
Agreed. I use meGUI to reencode blu-ray rips. Great quality. Even the preset profiles are good.

Uh-oh. We have ourselves a self-admitted pirate here gents!

If you're going to be downloading a bunch of movies, you really need to be paying for them at some point. Otherwise, you're just leeching off an entire industry -- an industry in which I happen to work in ;)

Unless, of course, you believe that buying hard drives is somehow putting money in the pockets of people like me...?

Who said i was downloading them , or do you just put words in everyones mouth!

Back