how to remove GPU from ASUS Strix-E - latch very hard to push down

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
How do you guys unlatch your GPU card so you can remove it from your system. GPU is EVGA 3060 Ti. Motherboard is ASUS X570 Strix-E.

Card installed in slot 1, and it overhangs slot 2, so that I have access to the card latch only from the right side. Using a flat blade screwdriver (very carefully ...) I can't seem to put enough force on the latch so I can remove the card.

EDIT: I was able to remove the card. I slipped the screwdriver below the GPU card and pushed down on the tab. It worked. Is there a better, safer, easier way to do this?

There should be a better design to latch and unlatch the card,

I use a bamboo or wooden chopstick to push down the latch on the slot.

AFAIK, I think some newer boards already have re-designed PCIE slot latch release mechanisms for ease of use and better accessibility. Asus calls theirs "PCIE Q-Release".

I use an old wooden 12" ruler to push on it. Just a gentle downward push with 1 hand while holding the card in the other. It lifts right out.

I use my fingers to unlatch it from the top. You can also use screwdriver, pen, chopsticks or pencil dick.

I use a bamboo or wooden chopstick to push down the latch on the slot.

AFAIK, I think some newer boards already have re-designed PCIE slot latch release mechanisms for ease of use and better accessibility. Asus calls theirs "PCIE Q-Release".
I use a Wooden Pen Nib holder because was worried about damaging the MB with something metal.

I would not use anything metal. I use a plastic knife personally. The flat end. The sharp end isn't sharp enough to really cut you. Some others have mentioned a chop stick or wooden ruler which is even better, but I just don't have those laying around in the house or basement. A plastic knife has worked for me for the past 20 years lol.

i too use my finger. i theres a heatsink in the way and i cant reach from the top i give it a reach around from underneath. IF you absolutely have too, use a pencil, eraser side down.

Sometimes when you are trying to get the card out, you need to push down and make sure it is fully seated, then try the above suggestions. The latch can sometimes be a pain when there is pressure on it from trying to get it out (at least in my experience).

I use my finger. It's never been hard to push on the latch for me. Board has seen multiple 3090s, 3080ti and now a 4090.

I use my fingers to unlatch it from the top. You can also use screwdriver, pen, chopsticks or pencil dick.
How can you unlatch the card from the top, at least on an ASUS board where there is a tab that you push down on to unlatch the card.

i too use my finger. i theres a heatsink in the way and i cant reach from the top i give it a reach around from underneath. IF you absolutely have too, use a pencil, eraser side down.
I think we have a winner lol 🥇the eraser end of a brand new pencil clearly takes the cake lol🎂

If the card is wedged in due to a manufacturing defect, pushing the lever hard may break it.
I've had a stuck card happen before too.
My solution was to pull the card out of the socket at the same time as pressing the lever. Then the lever depressed easily but the card still took a bit of wiggling to be fully freed.
fyi

If the card is wedged in due to a manufacturing defect, pushing the lever hard may break it.
I've had a stuck card happen before too.
My solution was to pull the card out of the socket at the same time as pressing the lever. Then the lever depressed easily but the card still took a bit of wiggling to be fully freed.
fyi
Omg exactly this just happened as I was trying to release my 3080Ti Hydrocopper to turn it in for RMA.(sob is a heavy brick feels like a solid 5 pounds of metal) I pressed in the tab and nothing. Had to do what you said and gently wiggle/pull it out while holding down tab (actually took some elbow grease cause the case was not laying down and right side up because it literally felt stuck in the pcie port lol

I use a bamboo stick with a dab of hot glue on the end for extra grip and if it does slip it just leaves a smudge.

How can you unlatch the card from the top, at least on an ASUS board where there is a tab that you push down on to unlatch the card.
Probably because I have an AIO. It’s easy and also I have a MSI board right now.

I just press this knob.

Attachments

• 4CA131AB-6FED-4C06-A803-F14222BFFCF2.jpeg
    4CA131AB-6FED-4C06-A803-F14222BFFCF2.jpeg
    391.5 KB · Views: 0
I have this with the Z690-F and I'm not impressed. There's a button you can press on the end of the board that releases the latch, but it's finicky. You have to cajole the release tab back into place after you've inserted the card, or it doesn't really latch properly. Also, if you don't, the button won't really release the latch because it's not properly engaged.

Back