How to remove EVGA 1080 ti SC2 shroud?

xfan10

Weaksauce
Hi there

I was told it would be better to remove the shroud and stock fans from my EVGA card since I have two 120mm Noctua fans right below it already. Question is, how do I just remove the shroud? The online guides I found show removing the entire heat sink and not just the shroud. I tried to remove the screws on the side which got me somewhere but there is one screw on one end that is tucked underneath. Does anyone have any advice one how to get to this the screw? From there, I think the fans are another separate item.

CTykXgX.jpg

Just take the heatsink off. It'll be easier this way. I mean, why not?

Just take the heatsink off. It'll be easier this way. I mean, why not?

because when you remove any kind of heat sink, you have to remove the old thermal paste and re-apply it. that would take longer then removing one screw

If it's easier removing the heatsink, then swap fans, don't you think swapping out thermal paste would help? I swap out thermal paste everytime I get a new card. You worried about spending a few xtra minutes?

This is [H]ard forums bro.

because when you remove any kind of heat sink, you have to remove the old thermal paste and re-apply it. that would take longer then removing one screw

Hey man, sorry if it's too late or if you figured something else out but let me tell you that his is NOT correct.

I KNEW KNEW KNEW that's why you weren't taking it off, I refreshed for like 30 mins (I see you responded back right at 30 mins LOL!) hoping you'd respond back in the affirmative.

Either way, no, it's fine. You can take the heatsink off without redoing the thermal paste. That's one of those old wives tales that just simply isn't true.

If you haven't ALREADY figured out a way I can promise you that taking the heatsink off (be careful of course not to completely FUCK the thermal paste up) and put it back on you'll be FINE.

I'm 31 now and have been doing this since I was 15 and have never ever had issues reusing thermal paste/pads from just putting stuff back on. Ever. No temp changes, no failed parts, nothing.

I'm REALLY curious to see if this works. I'm skeptical that you'll get the pressure from your Noctua's to effectively cool the card under load.

Just keep the fans on there some guy is probably trolling your from Noctua so they can sell more Brown colored fans with red brown fins. If you mess it up you will be kicking yourself for doing so...

well I did it. got the shroud and fans off without taking the heat sink off but the temps couldn't hold. after about 2 minutes in Heaven, it began to slowly exceed previous temps with the shroud. But considering the Noctua fans were maxed out at 1300 rpms connected to the chassis header, where as the EVGA fans kick up to 3000 rpms, I bet it would have worked if the Noctuas could hit 3000. they are a lot quieter than the EVGA. Now I did have a adapter cable that would allow me to connect the Noctuas to the EVGA fan headers but the cable was way to thick to fit through the stock heatsink and the space where the fan headers are is extremely cramped. the biggest challenge of this entire thing was reconnecting the stock fans. it was a close call.

HNzIKUI.jpg
phBxJFj.jpg
kNniwwa.jpg
hp4Tlfg.jpg

Last edited:
So pretty much an exercise in futility.

These guys said what we were all thinking....

I'm REALLY curious to see if this works. I'm skeptical that you'll get the pressure from your Noctua's to effectively cool the card under load.

Just keep the fans on there some guy is probably trolling your from Noctua so they can sell more Brown colored fans with red brown fins. If you mess it up you will be kicking yourself for doing so...

So what have we learned from this? If you want a cool and quiet card, grab a AIO/hybrid kit or slap a block on that bitch.
/thread.

So pretty much an exercise in futility.

These guys said what we were all thinking....

So what have we learned from this? If you want a cool and quiet card, grab a AIO/hybrid kit or slap a block on that bitch.
/thread.

I didnt find it futile. I hadn't seen it done and was curious and not a single person knew of the issue getting a GELID cable through he heat sink. Guess I'm 2 Hard.

I didnt find it futile. I hadn't seen it done and was curious and not a single person knew of the issue getting a GELID cable through he heat sink. Guess I'm 2 Hard.

If you were [H]ard, you would of went with a pair of 5000RPM Delta's instead of those pussy Noctua's, but to each his own, congrats.

Thumbs up for having the guts to try crazy shit with expensive hardware, admit failure, and share the results. I think that's what being [H] is all about. (y)

What particular model are those noctua fans below the gpu?

Dude, that's pretty [H]core. I wouldn't consider that a bust until I'd made a custom shroud to force the airflow through the fins. I bet a lot of the air is just deflecting off the heat sink surface. Do it right, make us proud! (y)

With the spacing between the fans and the heatsink I'm not sure how much static pressure matters vs. just flow. I think the problem is that without the fans being flush-mounted against the heatsink and the shroud forcing air through the fins, it's to easy for air to go around the heatsink than through it.

or this EKWB Water Cooling Kit. Folks drop $800 - $1000 on a 1080 Ti so what's $300 to cool it ?

image.png

Last edited:
Back