How to remove EVGA 1080 ti SC2 shroud?

Discussion in 'Video Cards' started by xfan10, Jul 9, 2018.

1. xfan10

xfan10 n00bie

Hi there

I was told it would be better to remove the shroud and stock fans from my EVGA card since I have two 120mm Noctua fans right below it already. Question is, how do I just remove the shroud? The online guides I found show removing the entire heat sink and not just the shroud. I tried to remove the screws on the side which got me somewhere but there is one screw on one end that is tucked underneath. Does anyone have any advice one how to get to this the screw? From there, I think the fans are another separate item.

CTykXgX.jpg

2. Mut1ny

Mut1ny [H]ard|Gawd

Just take the heatsink off. It'll be easier this way. I mean, why not?

3. xfan10

xfan10 n00bie

because when you remove any kind of heat sink, you have to remove the old thermal paste and re-apply it. that would take longer then removing one screw

4. Nebulous

Nebulous [H]ard|Gawd

If it's easier removing the heatsink, then swap fans, don't you think swapping out thermal paste would help? I swap out thermal paste everytime I get a new card. You worried about spending a few xtra minutes?

This is [H]ard forums bro.

DTN107 and Araxie like this.
  5. xfan10

xfan10 n00bie

lol

6. cdabc123

cdabc123 [H]ard|Gawd

jig saw or dremel

Nebulous and Araxie like this.
  7. Azrak

Azrak Gawd

xfan10, Ski and Shadowed like this.
  8. Mut1ny

Mut1ny [H]ard|Gawd

Hey man, sorry if it's too late or if you figured something else out but let me tell you that his is NOT correct.

I KNEW KNEW KNEW that's why you weren't taking it off, I refreshed for like 30 mins (I see you responded back right at 30 mins LOL!) hoping you'd respond back in the affirmative.

Either way, no, it's fine. You can take the heatsink off without redoing the thermal paste. That's one of those old wives tales that just simply isn't true.

If you haven't ALREADY figured out a way I can promise you that taking the heatsink off (be careful of course not to completely FUCK the thermal paste up) and put it back on you'll be FINE.

I'm 31 now and have been doing this since I was 15 and have never ever had issues reusing thermal paste/pads from just putting stuff back on. Ever. No temp changes, no failed parts, nothing.

9. xp3nd4bl3

xp3nd4bl3 2[H]4U

I'm REALLY curious to see if this works. I'm skeptical that you'll get the pressure from your Noctua's to effectively cool the card under load.

10. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

Just keep the fans on there some guy is probably trolling your from Noctua so they can sell more Brown colored fans with red brown fins. If you mess it up you will be kicking yourself for doing so...

11. xfan10

xfan10 n00bie

well I did it. got the shroud and fans off without taking the heat sink off but the temps couldn't hold. after about 2 minutes in Heaven, it began to slowly exceed previous temps with the shroud. But considering the Noctua fans were maxed out at 1300 rpms connected to the chassis header, where as the EVGA fans kick up to 3000 rpms, I bet it would have worked if the Noctuas could hit 3000. they are a lot quieter than the EVGA. Now I did have a adapter cable that would allow me to connect the Noctuas to the EVGA fan headers but the cable was way to thick to fit through the stock heatsink and the space where the fan headers are is extremely cramped. the biggest challenge of this entire thing was reconnecting the stock fans. it was a close call.

HNzIKUI.jpg phBxJFj.jpg kNniwwa.jpg hp4Tlfg.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  12. CAD4466HK

CAD4466HK Gawd

So pretty much an exercise in futility.

These guys said what we were all thinking....

So what have we learned from this? If you want a cool and quiet card, grab a AIO/hybrid kit or slap a block on that bitch.
    /thread.

13. xfan10

xfan10 n00bie

I didnt find it futile. I hadn't seen it done and was curious and not a single person knew of the issue getting a GELID cable through he heat sink. Guess I'm 2 Hard.

auntjemima likes this.
  14. CAD4466HK

CAD4466HK Gawd

If you were [H]ard, you would of went with a pair of 5000RPM Delta's instead of those pussy Noctua's, but to each his own, congrats.

15. xfan10

xfan10 n00bie

lol

16. xp3nd4bl3

xp3nd4bl3 2[H]4U

Thumbs up for having the guts to try crazy shit with expensive hardware, admit failure, and share the results. I think that's what being [H] is all about. (y)

Algrim and xfan10 like this.
  17. DTN107

DTN107 [H]ardness Supreme

What particular model are those noctua fans below the gpu?

18. Fuzzy_3D

Fuzzy_3D [H]Lite

Dude, that's pretty [H]core. I wouldn't consider that a bust until I'd made a custom shroud to force the airflow through the fins. I bet a lot of the air is just deflecting off the heat sink surface. Do it right, make us proud! (y)

xfan10 likes this.
  19. xfan10

xfan10 n00bie

They are the Noctua NF-S12A PWM.

20. DTN107

DTN107 [H]ardness Supreme

You might see better results with fans that has more static pressure. Since you trying to cool a heatsink and your fans are mounted on the bottom with little clearance.

https://noctua.at/en/which_fan_is_right_for_me

21. xfan10

xfan10 n00bie

Thanks for pointing that out to me. I had no idea. Just ordered a pair of F12's and the new A12's and will do a 3 way benchmark and post the results.

22. xp3nd4bl3

xp3nd4bl3 2[H]4U

With the spacing between the fans and the heatsink I'm not sure how much static pressure matters vs. just flow. I think the problem is that without the fans being flush-mounted against the heatsink and the shroud forcing air through the fins, it's to easy for air to go around the heatsink than through it.

23. _l_

_l_ Gawd

or this EKWB Water Cooling Kit. Folks drop $800 - $1000 on a 1080 Ti so what's $300 to cool it ?

image.png

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018