How to remove all this obnoxious software that came bundled w/ Windows laptop i got?

gramarye

Gawd
I'm quite used to building my own systems from ground up with just a simple install of an operating system w/o bundled free trial software anywhere from the likes of AOL, Corel, Travelocity, Sony Vaio free games trials for 60 minutes/levels/whatever, Norton (memory killer), Roxio, Napster, and so forth. I'm sure some of you guys are familiar with this, indeed this is hideous, to receive a new laptop having a desktop filled with 4 columns of practically spam/adware. As biased this may sound, I love the idea of buying a new mac with a clean desktop. Anyway, I might've stumbled upon a post prior, however, I can't seem to find it, I really hope this question has not been asked too many times before, if so, sorry in advance. Some of the software bundles is like negligent to go away, sometimes it's impossible. Well, my question as followed: How to remove all this obnoxious software that came bundled w/ Windows laptop i just got? Will I need some sort of third party software to make this possible?

Oh yeah, there's no factory back-up CD included, but eh, it's really not important. I just need my activation and keys or whatnots on that sticker underneath it.

Thanks for your time, I hope to see a solution, and hope this helps other users here that my have this similar question. This can definitely benefit my future laptop purchases. Or maybe one day we can start choosing our own laptop enclosure/chassis and build our own kind of like how we do for desktops.

I already tried removing internet explorer once...
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1218407&highlight=internet+explorer

There's a program called the PC Decrapifier, seriously. When it first came out not too long ago it was great, and it was like all great software is: free. It's not expensive now, just a simple $5 donation, so go grab it - it's free for personal use, however. But the coder put a lot of work into it, so...

The best way to get rid of any OEM bloated crap is always a nice clean install, but not every OEM includes the CD/DVD to do this: just reinstall the OS with the proper drivers to get the hardware running with nothing but the OS.

If it's a Sony, or any OEM laptop, you're in for a quick rude awakening so I'll just say it now:

The key printed on the sticker underneath your laptop is useless. It's totally and absolutely worthless and cannot be used to reinstall the OS - even with the actual OEM software disc if you had it. However, most OEMs, even Sony, include a utility to create CDs or DVDs so that you can restore the machine to factory specs.

I recently worked on a Sony VAIO laptop for a customer, nearly brand new with all the included stuff, accessories, manuals, etc. He'd had it about a month and when I got ahold of it (XP SP2) it took 11 mins and 37 seconds to boot as measured with Bootvis doing a trace. I spent one day with it, was going to trim it down nice and slim and realized that just won't work because I couldn't install any old OEM copy of XP SP2 back onto the machine.

There's a utility buried in the Sony Start Menu folders someplace that will let you burn off "restore CDs or DVDs" as required, but again, those discs will simply return the laptop to factory state meaning the 70+ items in the Add/Remove Programs listing all get put right back on.

The point is: the option is there to create the "restore CDs and DVDs" if you look for it. Break out some blank CDs or DVDs and get to it. At least then if you really pooch it you'll be able to at least do the full factory restore.

If you had an actual Sony XP SP2 OEM install CD, that sticker won't help at all. The key on it is just there for show and tell, to be on the sticker for COA (Certificate of Authenticity) duties - if you were to punch it in if requested the installer would balk on it and tell you it's not a valid key, because really it's not. But that's another thread.

While I'm truly disappointed at what those peeps did with PC Decrapifier, it does work to clean up an OEM machine considerably, and it does it with far more attention to detail than even a diehard tweak freak like myself is willing to go. I guess that makes it worthy of some cost associated because of the work involved in creating it. It's worth the $5 "donation" fee the owner is asking for.

Considering what it can do for that bloated OEM bullshit on OEM hardware, it's definitely worth the "cost" if it means your hardware runs like it should afterwards.

http://pcdecrapifier.com/

Hope this helps...

I'll add another vote for PC Decrapifier. I usually try the normal uninstall routines, then run this software, then a good registry cleaner, and see how it stands at that point.

I disagree with an oem cd not working. We use it all the time when we have to reinstall an operating system on a laptop or desktop and use the key that is on the sticker on that particular pc. If it does not allow you to activate the installation simply activate it using telephone access numbers and go through it step by step. It has never failed and I've done it a lot of times.

The whole point of the OEM CD is that installing it on the branded hardware will never require the key in the first place, hence the key on the sticker is useless as I stated.

If you're using some generic OEM disc to reinstall the OS on an OEM branded laptop, it's illegal and can cost you a lot of money and your business license.

Dell for Dell, Compaq for Compaq, HP for HP, Gateway for Gateway, etc. If you're mixing and matching OEM installations (and it actually works), you're breaking the law, essentially, by breaking the EULA and your licensing terms with Microsoft (if you're a business and you have such an agreement, that is).

"Just the facts, Ma'am..."

I used Decrapifier on my dell laptop and it worked fine. Ultimately a clean install is best, even with the OEM discs, but decrapifier does a good job.

Back