How to recover from a corrupted registry in XP

Grimmda

2[H]4U
A co-worker of mine found a document out on the web I was curious if any of you here had ever seen or know of.

The process is laid out here:

http://www.aade.com/XPhint/XPrecovery.htm

I don't have this problem he was researching it for someone who does. Just curious if any of you here have ever performed this process and if it works.

I might have been lucky, but the few times I've seen that error, a repair install seemed to do the trick.

I've performed it a couple of times. It brings XP back to its defaults... so you'll have to reinstall a lot of programs.

I would suggest using a Windows PE CD, or BartPE and repairing the registry. Or do a repair install. The problem with the method he's suggesting is it takes you to the point of when gui mode setup ran. Which on my box at home is about 2 years ago. ;)

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Winternals ERD Commander does this automatically if you just stick the disc in and boot from it...

If you know the specific keys that need to be repaired, you can do it in recovery console. I did it a couple times when I did tech work for my old high school awhile back. That way you keep everything and don't have to reinstall programs. KB from microsoft is a BIG help.

Back