How to re-install OS without pre-installed garbage?

Sometwo

Limp Gawd
I believe if I restore Windows 7 from the installer image on the drive that it will delete all the files on my drive. If I borrow a legitimate Windows 7 DVD, can I use my current CD key to re-install just the OS without all the pre-installed garbage and losing all my files?

Yep, all you need is a valid Windows 7 key. There is no differentiation in activation like with XP and 8 between OEM, Retail, etc with HP/Pro/Ultimate.

You could also download a legit ISO from Digital River and punch in your key. If you Google, you should be able to find what you need.

Awesome! I wish I would have known about this a long time ago. Thought I was stuck with having to use the installer on the drive. Thank you!

I should have done this, cant stand all the bloatware that comes preinstalled. This Lenovo was almost not even useable!

First thing I did with my new Lenovo Y510P was pull the HDD* and put in an SSD. Second thing was install a fresh copy of 8.1 with my own license key.

The PC now boots in 5 seconds and all background software is loaded within another 5 seconds of my entering my password. Definitely worth installing a non-bloatware OS.

*I wiped this HDD entirely and made it my boot HDD for my Windows 2012 R2 server at home. I really wasn't going to use it for anything else and performance is irrelevant to the boot drive on that server.

yea whenever i setup a compute for a family member it gets formated and reinstalled with a clean windows install. remove all the bloatware and only drivers get installed and a AV

I did the same thing on my HP Laptop. As soon as I received it from UPS, I wiped the drive of all partitions and install Windows 7 from a vanilla ISO. Never looked back :)

Laptops are the worst offenders for this stuff.
Half the time those bloated programs conflict with the default Windows drivers and cause all sorts of issues. Plus, many tend to use images for several different models and even have both ATI and Nvidia software installed simultaneously.
With so many great alternatives (like Chrome/Firefox, Media Player Classic, XBMC, etc.) I even clear out a good chunk of the default Windows programs after a new install.

There are a few methods to do this.

1. You can take the default install and back up the activation using numerous tools, then clean install with generic media/iso, and restore the activation.
  2. You can install using generic media/iso, then us a program that will insert a legal certificate based on the model of the computer.
  3. You can build your own reinstall disc with the OEM cert for that manufacturer.

1 and 2 are easy, 3 is most difficult (relative to 1&2).

There are a few methods to do this.

1. You can take the default install and back up the activation using numerous tools, then clean install with generic media/iso, and restore the activation.
  2. You can install using generic media/iso, then us a program that will insert a legal certificate based on the model of the computer.
  3. You can build your own reinstall disc with the OEM cert for that manufacturer.

1 and 2 are easy, 3 is most difficult (relative to 1&2).

For items 2 and 3, how do we get certs? Are we talking private certs or public certs? (X.509, right)?

x509 :D :D

For items 2 and 3, how do we get certs? Are we talking private certs or public certs? (X.509, right)?

x509 :D :D
OEM Certs are available either by extracting them from an OEM installed computer or from the OEM installation disc or downloadable from the Internet.

Back