How to re-import a VMKD back into inventory

Mackintire

2[H]4U
SO I have the free ESXi 4.1 and vSphere client

I couldn t create a virtual partition in my datastore larger than 256GB due to the default format.

So I moved my VM and all its associated files off the datastore to my local machine, reformatted the datastore with 4Mb blocks and moved my files back into the datastore.

Here are my problems.

The vmkd flat file renamed itself and removed the word flat. The 1kb file (non-flat) deleted itself from the datastore.

I still have a copy of all the original files. So how do I correctly re-import the Virtual Machine into inventory?

Thank you in advance.

Yep, so how did you get them off of there? (hint: the method you used probably wasn't right :( )

What files do you have?

I fixed it a different way.

I manually imported all my files back into the datastore. Right-clicked on the .vmx file --> and choose import into inventory. Then I was presented with a wizard that asked if I moved the files to the datastore (probably from another VM), or copied the files to the datastore (from a backup)

I chose copied..... and it worked. My Server is back in inventory.

I used the native datastore browse function, in combination with the upload/download to "local machine" icons above in the menu.

That's a really bad idea. Don't do that. SCP will work ok, but what you really want is to export it as an OVA/OVF template, and then import it.

Maybe you guys just need to fix that "feature", huh? You know, it IS there and it leads you right to it.

Maybe you guys just need to fix that "feature", huh? You know, it IS there and it leads you right to it.

"If you leave children to do as they please, you may not approve the way they choose to spend their time.", Someone wiser then I.

Please define what is an OVA/OVF template and what it contains. I need my entire VM back, not just the hardware config.

"Stupid is as stupid does.", Forrest Gump

I like giving him a hard time. I realize that feature is there mainly for things like ISO files (which is all I use it for). Plus, it's too damn slow for anything productive. scp FTW.

In to see how this works out. I have a couple servers I need to do better backups on

I like giving him a hard time. I realize that feature is there mainly for things like ISO files (which is all I use it for). Plus, it's too damn slow for anything productive. scp FTW.

Not picking on him though, but I do think it's lame having a feature right there that says "USE ME!" and there is no indication that it's an unsafe tool.

it's for isos/logs!

And we are ;)
Please define what is an OVA/OVF template and what it contains. I need my entire VM back, not just the hardware config.

"Stupid is as stupid does.", Forrest Gump

File -> export ovf template. IIRC.

Not picking on him though, but I do think it's lame having a feature right there that says "USE ME!" and there is no indication that it's an unsafe tool.

Try explaining that to a bunch of engineers :p

Just look at the snapshot gui options!

Back