How to prevent vram heatsinks from falling?

etegv

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I decided to put an aio cooler on my gpu. Thing is the the thermal pads aren't sticky and the heatsinks keep falling off. I tried to put the heatsinks on the backside but the vrm went up to a 107 degrees before the pc shut down. Is tbere anything I can do about this? I have these sinks
https://www.amazon.com/Alphacool-Co...68&sprefix=ram+copper+heatsinks,aps,96&sr=8-3
https://www.amazon.com/Alphacool-Co...1672605899&sprefix=Ram+copper+,aps,133&sr=8-8
https://www.amazon.com/Enokay-Cooli...605956&sprefix=ram+heatsinks+,aps,156&sr=8-18

For some reason the heatsinks don't stick very well to the pads (gelid. 5mm). I read that you can get thermal tape but it seems like a lot of them don't have great reviews (in regards to the conductivity)

Is there something I can do about this? Thanks for the help

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You are using the wrong thermal interface material for your application. What you want is thermal tape or thermal adhesive. Why you thought a thermal pad would stick a heatsink is beyond my comprehension...

Hey guys, I decided to put an aio cooler on my gpu. Thing is the the thermal pads aren't sticky and the heatsinks keep falling off. I tried to put the heatsinks on the backside but the vrm went up to a 107 degrees before the pc shut down. Is tbere anything I can do about this? I have these sinks
https://www.amazon.com/Alphacool-Copper-Heatsinks-14mm-10-Pack/dp/B077VM8FJW/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=3G6S9M8BCH7QA&keywords=Ram+copper+heatsinks&qid=1672605068&sprefix=ram+copper+heatsinks,aps,96&sr=8-3
https://www.amazon.com/Alphacool-Copper-Heatsinks-10mm-10-Pack/dp/B077VL3M2Z/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?crid=ESULCGN8OPII&keywords=ram+copper+heat+sink&qid=1672605899&sprefix=Ram+copper+,aps,133&sr=8-8
https://www.amazon.com/Enokay-Cooling-Heatsink-Raspberry-Heatsinks/dp/B014KKY3KI/ref=mp_s_a_1_18?crid=35EGQGTETI12H&keywords=Ram+heatsinks&qid=1672605956&sprefix=ram+heatsinks+,aps,156&sr=8-18

For some reason the heatsinks don't stick very well to the pads (gelid. 5mm). I read that you can get thermal tape but it seems like a lot of them don't have great reviews (in regards to the conductivity)

Is there something I can do about this? Thanks for the help
im using the ones in the last link, they came with thermal adhesive tape on them. youre supposed to clean off the pads and stick them on...

And another thing: you have to press the sink (with the pad) down enough so's as to be sure the sink sticks, but not so hard as to break/snap the chip in half. Trust me, I'm guilty of doing just that.

Thermal paste adhesive is a more permanent solution. Once this stuff is on, it'll never come off. Removing mem sinks on one of my cards I ripped off the mem chip killing card.

The card gave it's life to science, lol

im using the ones in the last link, they came with thermal adhesive tape on them. youre supposed to clean off the pads and stick them on...

Yea, I realized that after I threw them out, lol. I remember doing this a few years ago and the heatsinks/pads were a lot stickier. I didn't use the tape and the heatsinks/pads were on fine upside down. Is there a good brand of thermal tape that I could purchase?

Thanks

Yea, I realized that after I threw them out, lol. I remember doing this a few years ago and the heatsinks/pads were a lot stickier. I didn't use the tape and the heatsinks/pads were on fine upside down. Is there a good brand of thermal tape that I could purchase?

Thanks
ive only used what came on them. didnt have any probs with them falling off or temps.

I'd love to recommend these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D15MDXH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

B/c I bought them a few years ago and they've been rock solid in both performance and adhesion since purchase. However, that kit seems to no longer be available but that leads me to suggest this: look at Raspberry Pi heatsink kits b/c the sizes are right and there's a lot of them out there at this point so plenty of kits to choose from and reviews to...review.

And another thing: you have to press the sink (with the pad) down enough so's as to be sure the sink sticks, but not so hard as to break/snap the chip in half. Trust me, I'm guilty of doing just that.

Thermal paste adhesive is a more permanent solution. Once this stuff is on, it'll never come off. Removing mem sinks on one of my cards I ripped off the mem chip killing card.

The card gave it's life to science, lol
I tried but I am getting no stickiness. It seems like things were stickier with the 2mm geglid pads(still wouldn't trust it with a vertical gpu.) I threw those out because the temps jumped all the way up whenever a game was clicked on. Right now all the heatsinks are on the backside and I am getting the same issues with the temps.

Thanks

Heatsinks on the backside will do virtually nothing. You need to get either:

*get some heatsinks (again check out Raspberry Pi heatsink kits) with good adhesion

*get some aftermarket thermal tape that works

Also to note, make sure you clean *both* the heatsink and the chip you're applying it to very well with rubbing alcohol. Improperly prepped surfaces can definitely lead to poor adhesion.

Hmm, I remember back in the day with DDR2/3 aftermarket sinks. They came with a super thin film of thermal tape. Once you prep the surfaces properly with alcohol, it'll stick nice and as the ramchips get warm, the tape will cure and make a better bond, but not permanent.

This is it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/153008968262?epid=10018946236&hash=item23a00b9246:g:MXEAAOSwALtahXEc&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA4Ki0epingrnuwrpl1sikSJrY6IdVhs5F9zvIS3fZdgVNq3Avru0uyiKkTaowV8ku96SKsv+axDhtUS2nfrKGzYMAIypQX3unEQtPyU/Hi5eGozKaCirWOFmYoKhwITKwZCUE93jSsW5I3dF9iZI6lzzYlvmesyZS0Gz8sa5HUtdCOR26kxJDZRC/7jyVlwAPrJeGdMjVM4zOgNlTEP2LZ4O6LaD00Bvw4R5IWCnZ7HhLmkjAsSEU+vFlTTca6bUaXQACCj3X/DrPwJmkCylZAVuZp6pY3ZsuXhEfA8I924zi|tkp:BFBM4LO89a1h

this will work. I still have it my Nvme drive on my son's rig. Comes in strips too.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hmm, I remember back in the day with DDR2/3 aftermarket sinks. They came with a super thin film of thermal tape. Once you prep the surfaces properly with alcohol, it'll stick nice and as the ramchips get warm, the tape will cure and make a better bond, but not permanent.

This is it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/153008968262?epid=10018946236&hash=item23a00b9246:g:MXEAAOSwALtahXEc&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA4Ki0epingrnuwrpl1sikSJrY6IdVhs5F9zvIS3fZdgVNq3Avru0uyiKkTaowV8ku96SKsv+axDhtUS2nfrKGzYMAIypQX3unEQtPyU/Hi5eGozKaCirWOFmYoKhwITKwZCUE93jSsW5I3dF9iZI6lzzYlvmesyZS0Gz8sa5HUtdCOR26kxJDZRC/7jyVlwAPrJeGdMjVM4zOgNlTEP2LZ4O6LaD00Bvw4R5IWCnZ7HhLmkjAsSEU+vFlTTca6bUaXQACCj3X/DrPwJmkCylZAVuZp6pY3ZsuXhEfA8I924zi|tkp:BFBM4LO89a1h

this will work. I still have it my Nvme drive on my son's rig. Comes in strips too.

Will this work?
https://www.amazon.com/Ceatech-Ther...refix=thermal+conductive+tape+,aps,113&sr=8-9

Spent a lot on some heatsinks that I won't be able to use 😁. But I'll buy them if the Amazon one is no good.

Thanks
Heatsinks on the backside will do virtually nothing. You need to get either:

*get some heatsinks (again check out Raspberry Pi heatsink kits) with good adhesion

*get some aftermarket thermal tape that works

Also to note, make sure you clean *both* the heatsink and the chip you're applying it to very well with rubbing alcohol. Improperly prepped surfaces can definitely lead to poor adhesion.
I'd buy the raspberry pi kits but already spent a lot on heatsinks. The links are in my first post.

I noticed that some of the pads aren't sticking to the gpu all the way. Can I wipe the gpu chips on the 3080ti with rubbing 99 percent alcohol to get the dust up off? I'm worried that the heavier 14x14 will fall off with the pad once the gpu is upside down

Thanks

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Will this work?
https://www.amazon.com/Ceatech-Thermal-Adhesive-Conductive-Computer/dp/B075F37SQG/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?crid=UIMNE4Q9YGPD&keywords=Thermal+Conductive+tape&qid=1672610170&sprefix=thermal+conductive+tape+,aps,113&sr=8-9

Spent a lot on some heatsinks that I won't be able to use 😁. But I'll buy them if the Amazon one is no good.

Thanks

I'd buy the raspberry pi kits but already spent a lot on heatsinks. The links are in my first post.

I noticed that some of the pads aren't sticking to the gpu all the way. Can I wipe the gpu chips on the 3080ti with rubbing 99 percent alcohol to get the dust up off? I'm worried that the heavier 14x14 will fall off with the pad once the gpu is upside down

Thanks

Yeah that looks like it'll work, but I have no first hand knowledge of it. I posted up what I used and knew that it'll work for your application. I understand you spent alot already.

Well good luck and keep us posted.

Will this work?
https://www.amazon.com/Ceatech-Thermal-Adhesive-Conductive-Computer/dp/B075F37SQG/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?crid=UIMNE4Q9YGPD&keywords=Thermal+Conductive+tape&qid=1672610170&sprefix=thermal+conductive+tape+,aps,113&sr=8-9

Thanks

Thanks

That tape looks about as good as any other on Amazon tbf. It's 30mm wide so you'll be cutting it down to size, even for ur biggest heatsinks. Not a problem just a thing to note. The stuff I linked earlier comes in different sizes but I believe I posted a link to the 15mm size which means it'll be the right size for the larger 14mm heatsinks but you'll still have to cut it down for the smaller heatsinks. Point being either way, ur gonna be cutting tape to size lol

That tape looks about as good as any other on Amazon tbf. It's 30mm wide so you'll be cutting it down to size, even for ur biggest heatsinks. Not a problem just a thing to note. The stuff I linked earlier comes in different sizes but I believe I posted a link to the 15mm size which means it'll be the right size for the larger 14mm heatsinks but you'll still have to cut it down for the smaller heatsinks. Point being either way, ur gonna be cutting tape to size lol

Yeah that looks like it'll work, but I have no first hand knowledge of it. I posted up what I used and knew that it'll work for your application. I understand you spent alot already.

Well good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you guys very much. Guess I'll buy a roll and see how it goes. So I should maybe wipe the gpu with alcohol, right? Some of the padding on the backside doesn't feel like it is going to hold up. Already had the heatsinks fall off once with the 2mm pads, lol. Is it ok to put thermal tape underneath the pads for more reinforcement(main concern being the 14x14)? Or is it not needed? I read a review that stated the tape leaves behind residue, but I'm willing to do it as long as it's not that bad and I can wipe it off with the alchohol

Thanks

Thank you guys very much. Guess I'll buy a roll and see how it goes. So I should maybe wipe the gpu with alcohol, right? Some of the padding on the backside doesn't feel like it is going to hold up. Already had the heatsinks fall off once with the 2mm pads, lol. Is it ok to put thermal tape underneath the pads for more reinforcement(main concern being the 14x14)? Or is it not needed? I read a review that stated the tape leaves behind residue, but I'm willing to do it as long as it's not that bad and I can wipe it off with the alchohol

Thanks
For sure clean things with alcohol first--91% isopropyl is good or 190 proof Everclear (95% alcohol) if you can't find the isopropyl. It got hard to find during the pandemic. We were mixing our own hand sanitizer and had to use the Everclear. Some said a waste of good alcohol! The higher the alcohol content, the better the cleaning. I've used a folded up coffee filter to clean with as it is low/no fiber residue.

Thanks
Don't use pads and tape, just the tape. If surfaces are prepped correctly and a decent to good thermal tape is used, you shouldn't have problems keeping on the heatsinks. Had mine hanging on upside down for over a year now, probably much longer, without issue.

Back