how to prevent coworker from making my computer fart :)

sonofwang

Limp Gawd
My coworker did something to my computer to make it fart at random throughout the day, Windows Media Player pops up and plays a fart noise. I can be on the phone with a user, whatever, my computer will play a loud fart sound.

Now I know I look inept, but I don't care. Help me out.

That is kinda funny. Reminds me of something I did to my not so bright coworker's laptop. Wrote an app that runs at system startup and it will do a random action at a random internval (1 to 8 hours or something). Said actions can be a system beep, windows sound, eject cdrom drive, or start eating the cpu. He has not figured it out yet why these things happen.

Maybe someone did something similar to you. Look in your startup for something that's not right, or perhaps a batch file in task manager. It can either be a process that runs, like mine, or something that is only triggered at certain intervals. Is there any pattern to it? could simply be a scheduled task to open the wav file directly.

Check the startup folder under all program(start menu) make sure there nothing there that shouldn't be

You could check the Task Scheduler and see if it is playing this random fart file. Or you could search through the system and see if there is a suspect .wav, .mp3, etc file. Scheduler might be your best bet, though.

There also might be trigger and in your case a mouse or keyboard queue might be causing it. If that is the case, you'll probably want to check the sound options and sound scheme.

Yeah its pretty funny. He's always screwing with me. Worse thing I could do is tell him to stop.

One of the funnier things he has done is spoofed emails to me. He handles backups and regularly receives backup tapes at the front desk. Soon after I started I would get emails from the receptionist to pick up backup tapes from her desk. I didn't want to let her know that I didn't do backups in case she had been instructed to have me pick them up.Since I am new, I figured our boss was having me do little menial duties like fetching tapes. A couple months later I get an email from her to pick up backup tapes but with his email signature. So apparently he had been getting the emails all along but was altering them and forwarding them to me so I would go pick up his crap...

Believe it or not I have admin rights on our network. I can access the computer of pretty much everyone on the network but his. How can I prevent him from accessing my computer at all?

Honestly, if he has the ability (and permissions) to place your machine in a group policy location where you can't block him - he can pretty much do anything. I'd change the computer name (remove from the network) and mask it by placing it somewhere else.. If you can place the computer in an OU where another department is or in a location he may not immediately find - then you should be okay for a little bit.

This is funny though. My boss did this to me for some time.

Oh, and want to know a very fun windows secret?

Go in Run, type mmc
On the dialog go to file, add snap in
On the new dialog to go add...
Add "Ip Security Policy Management"
Put his computer info (you can also put localhost, depending on what you want to do with it)
I don't recall exactly how to use this, but basically it allows you to make IP blocking rules. You can screw with him by disabling his access to outbound port 80 or specific IPs.

The best is blocking access to exchange, wait a bit then ask "Is exchange down?".

So much fun can be had with that tool.

I would what red suggested.

Goto C:/windows/system32/drivers/etc

R-click on host file and open it with notepad.

Type this at the bottom...

127.0.0.1 *.com
127.0.0.1 *.org
127.0.0.1 *.net

This will block all website going to the .com, .org, .net websites.

Lmao, that's awesome.

When I was still in High School I figured out the admin password (which was used for everything, including Deep Freeze), and always had fun blank screen students and sending them messages, etc. :D

Back