How To Power Down Windows 8

I just dont understand why win8 has to have those lame simple color blocks with white icons in it. It is so windows 3.1 with more color. I was hoping win7 or 8 for that matter would have the ability to have an animated desktop while using, much like my android phone. Hell maybe they should make an android os for the pc.

Here's the problem for Microsoft. First, all that has already been done, lots of bling on Android while Android phones have done well versus the iPhone, Android tablets haven't been nearly as successful with that approach versus the iPad. As much as people my bash the simplistic nature of Metro remember, it is a conscious design choice, one that has a pretty long history and a fairly rabid following in the design world. The basic concept is that the more simple individual elements are, the more complex the sum of those elements can be. People complain of how 'jarring' Metro is and yet it's quite basic and indeed the Start Screen in quite basic. Think of just how 'jarring' Metro would be if it were some flaming glowing rotating animated background of stuff or if the desktop had that in combination.

ARM is powerful enough to run the latest version of Office. Metro provides a way to deliver programs that at least of which will be able to run well and be useful across tablets and desktops.

So what single method is good on a touchscreen without a mouse and on a computer without a touchscreen and a mouse? Basing you whole program on a single model for multiple vastly different situations and hoping by some miricle it fits is probably not the best method.

You can optimize for small touchscreen, and have a PC product thats lacking. Or optimize for keyboard/mouse with a large monitor and have crappy touchscreen support, especially since metro applications aren't really optimized for a desktop in the first place. Microsoft has already decided that the OS's UI shall be clunky and useless for non touchscreens, and they have also decided that it shall not be customizable to meet users preferences or usage patterns.

What metro really is so far, is phone applications, optimized for phones, on a desktop. Is this really needed or a step forward? Office probably wont be a metro application, things like photoshop, and 3dmax definately wont be. Why would they cut out 99.9% of the windows underbase for a potential 0.1% that are tablet and windows 8 users? The normal desktop will run all these programs on any windows system, with any version, in a damned window. The metro one will work on a small percentage but have support for a few as yet unreleased and unanounced windows devices in full screen only. Which software developer in their right mind would make a serious peice of software for metro based on that situation? :confused:

So what single method is good on a touchscreen without a mouse and on a computer without a touchscreen and a mouse? Basing you whole program on a single model for multiple vastly different situations and hoping by some miricle it fits is probably not the best method.

It's not a thing at the OS level, but the app level and it depends on the function of the app. Content consumption apps which are the bulk of apps on phones and tablets can translate VERY well to mice and keyboards. The Music and Video players in the Windows 8 Consumer Preview actually work quite well with keyboards and mice. The news readers do as well, though only the MSNBC one worlds perfectly in my opinion.

You can optimize for small touchscreen, and have a PC product thats lacking. Or optimize for keyboard/mouse with a large monitor and have crappy touchscreen support, especially since metro applications aren't really optimized for a desktop in the first place. Microsoft has already decided that the OS's UI shall be clunky and useless for non touchscreens, and they have also decided that it shall not be customizable to meet users preferences or usage patterns.

This isn't the case for the bulk of apps as they simply aren't as specialized as you're making them out to be. Video players, games, etc can pretty much work with both mouse and keyboard and touch. And as 'clunky' as Windows 8 is I seem to be able to do everything as fast on the desktop as I can on Windows 7 after getting used to it. I'm not saying it perfect but when I hear the haters time and time and yet time again say how clucky, inefficient, ugly, jarring, horrible Windows 8 is at least with the same desktops programs I used day in and out everything works just like it does on Windows 7?:confused:

What metro really is so far, is phone applications, optimized for phones, on a desktop. Is this really needed or a step forward? Office probably wont be a metro application, things like photoshop, and 3dmax definately wont be. Why would they cut out 99.9% of the windows underbase for a potential 0.1% that are tablet and windows 8 users?

Uh, Adobe just did a Photoshop version for Android and iOS didn't they? Of that 99.9% number you made up, how many of them bought or will by tablets versus another Windows PC? Again, the thing that Windows 8 haters just refuse to grasp is that the desktop while not dying is in relative decline. The traditional PC market is a billion years old by IT standards. The Windows desktop is simply not interesting anymore. It needed radical change in a world that's undergoing a radical change in the computing devices that it uses in bulk.

The normal desktop will run all these programs on any windows system, with any version, in a damned window. The metro one will work on a small percentage but have support for a few as yet unreleased and unanounced windows devices in full screen only. Which software developer in their right mind would make a serious peice of software for metro based on that situation? :confused:

Thinks makes ZERO sense. The Windows desktop is still there. Photoshop and 3D Max aren't going to sell for $2 in the Windows store. The Metro versions will be limited. And they'll sell for much less they the desktop versions.

It's not a thing at the OS level, but the app level and it depends on the function of the app. Content consumption apps which are the bulk of apps on phones and tablets can translate VERY well to mice and keyboards. The Music and Video players in the Windows 8 Consumer Preview actually work quite well with keyboards and mice. The news readers do as well, though only the MSNBC one worlds perfectly in my opinion.

But why the hell would you want that on a desktop? Windows PCs have has for the longest time in these things called web browsers, which already do all the function of all of these (mostly adware) "metro" toys, for free. When a desktop already has the ability to do all of this stuff, who exactly will be buying phone applications for a desktop?

This isn't the case for the bulk of apps as they simply aren't as specialized as you're making them out to be. Video players, games, etc can pretty much work with both mouse and keyboard and touch. And as 'clunky' as Windows 8 is I seem to be able to do everything as fast on the desktop as I can on Windows 7 after getting used to it. I'm not saying it perfect but when I hear the haters time and time and yet time again say how clucky, inefficient, ugly, jarring, horrible Windows 8 is at least with the same desktops programs I used day in and out everything works just like it does on Windows 7?:confused:

Stop talking about "haters". That is EXACTLY the problem with so many developers. If people don't "agree" with or think something is perfect, they are just a "hater" who "doesn't understand", so it's not possible there could actually be problems with it, and huge areas that need improvement. This is a beta run. The more negative (that they listen to) the better.

If you just marginalize and ignore negative, that is a serious problem. It might be fine for you, who loves touch screens. But for so many people doing extra crap for basic functionality is annoying. Dragging buttons and slide to unlock has no place in a mouse enviroment. It definately does not add anything to usability.
The jarring is because the whole thing is still pretty hideous to look at (and uncustomizable outside of "pick a start screen color") and there is a disconnect between all the different GUIs (desktop is normal windows, start screen is single color squares, unless you add normal window icons which then look out of place, the task manager is white with unfilled lines...) There is no distinct theme, or even way of doing things. Controls are alternately slide buttons/checkboxes/hidden menus/keystrokes, making the whole thing kind of confused and ameturish. Then there has been no actual gain in UI. You have gained a big ugly start screen which shows less items, has no new functions over a start menu...for what gains exactly? You might be able to do everything AS fast. But not FASTER. It's the same "old" shit with a layer of obstrufication.

Say you are using all desktop applications. Thats fine, you can click the taskbar and go to the different applications. Now you want to use half metro applicaitions and half desktop. To switch between the desktop items you can still just click the taskbar, or click between them. But to go to metro applications and back, you have to press the start menu, scroll to find them and then click. Then to go back, start, click desktop, click application. You can alt tab between them, but that gets annoying fast, and is hardly innovative or speedy, and definately not an improvement.

Uh, Adobe just did a Photoshop version for Android and iOS didn't they? Of that 99.9% number you made up, how many of them bought or will by tablets versus another Windows PC? Again, the thing that Windows 8 haters just refuse to grasp is that the desktop while not dying is in relative decline. The traditional PC market is a billion years old by IT standards. The Windows desktop is simply not interesting anymore. It needed radical change in a world that's undergoing a radical change in the computing devices that it uses in bulk.

How many people do you think are using windows 8 on a tablet right now? I'm pretty sure if I checked google shopping I wouldn't find many.

Where do you get this "not interesting anyore" from? Windows 7 (only around a third of the current PC OS uage comes from this) sales: >400m. Total ipad sales of around 30m? Must be a worse fad than people thought, even the xbox 360 has sold more than that (65.8m). Should have based the GUI on consoles...oh and kinect, which is faster selling than any tablet. The best selling of which is equivilent to less than 1% of the total PC market, who all probably have a PC too. I mean, how many people do you know that have a tablet but no PC? 2? 1? 0? Now, who doesn't know someone that bought a tablet but doesn't use it anymore?

Sales of 400m+. People must really really hate the desktop.

The thing is, tablets are "new" things, of couse they are going to have higher growth than something which has pretty much reached worldwide saturation, and for most people do not need to be upgraded every 3 years. This isn't about just desktops, even though they may be in slight decline as a form factor, laptops aren't going anywhere, and tablets are a small minority group, like netbooks (and will probably follow the same pattern.

The adobe tablet version of "photoshop" has less features than photoshop.com and is just a light photo editor for facebook photos. It's not a full featured production suite, it just uses the name of one for product familiarity. It is definately not Photoshop CS5.5 for a tablet.

Thinks makes ZERO sense. The Windows desktop is still there. Photoshop and 3D Max aren't going to sell for $2 in the Windows store. The Metro versions will be limited. And they'll sell for much less they the desktop versions.

Yes, exactly this. It will be limited. Which is why it's pointless on a desktop, where it doesn't need to be.

Making the desktop like the phone OS? isn't that what people are clamoring for a la the iOS? what Apple is doing can't be wrong can it?

The devil is in the details. Im running Win 8 on VMware Fusion with OSX Lion. Win 8's usability is a JOKE compared to Lion's 'iOS' features.

How to power down Windows 8 : Never power it up in the first place. :)

Skip this like Vista.

I think the motivation behind this is to get people familiar with the phone interface so it will sell more on phones. It also reduces their production costs. Win-win for MS, lose-lose for consumer.

I think the motivation behind this is to get people familiar with the phone interface so it will sell more on phones. It also reduces their production costs. Win-win for MS, lose-lose for consumer.

As consumers are buying more and more tablets and smart phones and fewer traditional PCs by comparison this statement is illogical.

I'm just confused that people are still complaining about metro when 99% of things on Windows 8 can be done without using Metro. If you miss the start menu, I'm confused how the Metro interface is anything more than a full screen start menu.

Because I don't want a full screen start screen. Make Metro optional and I will have no reason to complain. Simple solution that Microsoft is refusing to see.

As consumers are buying more and more tablets and smart phones and fewer traditional PCs by comparison this statement is illogical.

OK, so Win8 is an OS for the masses, fine Now where is the new Microsoft OS for computer geeks? The majority of computer geeks have spoken and they hate Metro with a passion.

i was in an shop that was testing it out on an computer and i was like WTF where is the start button where is the disk drive i just plugged in (not that i was trying very hard to see where it was in metro i droped to desktop and opened it from there) that was like 60 second use thought still it taken me that long to open the USB disk i plugged in

but if that's me you could see how an Normal user would react to it (if windows 8 stays the way it is its just going to be another vista OS that no one wants to use but in this case due to been confusing)

but hiding the power/Sleep button
when vista came out most of my customers went ?????? when they they could not find the start button or the shut down button when they got an new pc (why do you think in windows 7 they actually put [Shut down] in the start menu due to the stupidity of users, it was most likely the most asked question for OEM company's for vista)

If Microsoft want users to Use the sleep they need to tell motherboard makers to make the power light not Blink or go orange when sleeping, Users will not accept an Light on the case been on (its like the monitor light when its standby orange its just an LED uses no less power when its not lit)

(other note you cant seem to use the mouse to get back to the main metro screen your forced to use the windows button, yes its fine for Tablet or phone but not an norm pc or laptop, feels like using OSX having to press Alt to right click on stuff)

I am rolling on the floor laughing my ass off at the sheer hatred, when in reality there is no lost productivity. I can't even remember the last time I DIDN'T simple press the power button to turn the computer off.

i was in an shop that was testing it out on an computer and i was like WTF where is the start button where is the disk drive i just plugged in (not that i was trying very hard to see where it was in metro i droped to desktop and opened it from there) that was like 60 second use thought still it taken me that long to open the USB disk i plugged in

but if that's me you could see how an Normal user would react to it (if windows 8 stays the way it is its just going to be another vista OS that no one wants to use but in this case due to been confusing)

but hiding the power/Sleep button
when vista came out most of my customers went ?????? when they they could not find the start button or the shut down button when they got an new pc (why do you think in windows 7 they actually put [Shut down] in the start menu due to the stupidity of users, it was most likely the most asked question for OEM company's for vista)

If Microsoft want users to Use the sleep they need to tell motherboard makers to make the power light not Blink or go orange when sleeping, Users will not accept an Light on the case been on (its like the monitor light when its standby orange its just an LED uses no less power when its not lit)

Pure non-sense.

1. Click the desktop icon on the start screen
2. ???
3. PROFIT (Use your computer just like you used it in windows 7)

Also, guess what happens when you click the notification in the start screen after plugging in a usb drive?

2m2w10h.jpg

(other note you cant seem to use the mouse to get back to the main metro screen your forced to use the windows button, yes its fine for Tablet or phone but not an norm pc or laptop, feels like using OSX having to press Alt to right click on stuff)

Yes you can, click the bottom left of the screen, just like always. The button itself is gone but the functionality is not.

I got a HAL error trying to install Win 8 on my ESXi server.

Also, perhaps it doesn't want you to do that.

How many cores did you set? Vmware was a bit odd before with windows 8 (but works fine on virtualbox) and some updates have apparently fixed some of the issues.

Yes you can, click the bottom left of the screen, just like always. The button itself is gone but the functionality is not.

This is how I'm seeing it. There's two ways to look at it, is Windows 8 more like Vista or more like Office 2007? At the beta stage, Windows Vista was FULL of bugs. It become clear after a day to me that Vista was in SERIOUS trouble simply because of the shear about things that didn't work for technical reasons.
Now take Office 2007 and the ribbon, Yes, the new file format caused headaches but Office 2007 was solid otherwise. The ribbon was a big change but as long as Office wasn't exploding left and right people dealt with the ribbon and got used to it.

As much as people want to claim Windows 8 is Vista it's just nonsense. Windows releases have never failed do to UI changes, it's always been about the quality of the release. And with Mr. Windows 7 himself Steven Sinofsky ain't gonna release Windows 8 full of bugs. Sinofsky is the heir apparent for the CEO job at Microsoft. Windows 8 means more to him personally than anyone on the planet, he's vested in a way like almost no other software development executive has been. If Windows 8 is nothing but an unqualified success, he's done, his career gone, and billions of dollars in wealth will never be his. And Microsoft is in deep doo doo. Succeed and Sinofsky will have been the first successful challenger to the great Steve Jobs and the iPad.

ooo ok when you get like 3x3dpi from the bottem left

like fuck an normal user will know its there that's as bad as the shutdown

This is how I'm seeing it. There's two ways to look at it, is Windows 8 more like Vista or more like Office 2007? At the beta stage, Windows Vista was FULL of bugs. It become clear after a day to me that Vista was in SERIOUS trouble simply because of the shear about things that didn't work for technical reasons.
Now take Office 2007 and the ribbon, Yes, the new file format caused headaches but Office 2007 was solid otherwise. The ribbon was a big change but as long as Office wasn't exploding left and right people dealt with the ribbon and got used to it.

As much as people want to claim Windows 8 is Vista it's just nonsense. Windows releases have never failed do to UI changes, it's always been about the quality of the release. And with Mr. Windows 7 himself Steven Sinofsky ain't gonna release Windows 8 full of bugs. Sinofsky is the heir apparent for the CEO job at Microsoft. Windows 8 means more to him personally than anyone on the planet, he's vested in a way like almost no other software development executive has been. If Windows 8 is nothing but an unqualified success, he's done, his career gone, and billions of dollars in wealth will never be his. And Microsoft is in deep doo doo. Succeed and Sinofsky will have been the first successful challenger to the great Steve Jobs and the iPad.

It sounds to me from reading, you are a supporter of this new OS style.

I fully understand that and am not here to hate of argue.

My take on this preview, after using it for a couple days is.....it's windows 7 with a giant start screen and hidden hot spots.
I have not dug really deep into the system yet, but honestly, there is not one thing new here that makes Windows 7 worth giving up......in fact the W8 system uses more memory resources.

This "metro" start menu does nothing. It's like my cell phone, I do not want my pc to act or look like my cell phone, thank you. In fact it's intrusive, I have to peel it away to get to my desktop, where I will do my work.
If I need to get into the systems functions of the OS, I have to wave my mouse all over the place like some drunken epileptic to find what I want.......I can just picture some support guy in India trying to explain to my mother to wave the mouse cursor in the corner, suddenly stop and alternatively right click on something......sure, great idea.

there is not one thing I can see "metro" has over my internet browser or a desktop icon.

I think this guy you speak of at Microsoft who thought this up should start selling some of his shares now.

Face it, you and I can slowly and surely figure out most of this stuff ourselves, primarily because we have been using some form of windows since W95 or even before that. But someone who has just purchased a new PC after a couple years of using W7 or even Vista (because that's what came on their HP desktop and they are not saavy enough to know how to upgrade......or they don't want to call India)......will throw up their hands in frustration and walk away from this OS, or spend hours on hold trying to talk to someone because they can't find the start button.......:rolleyes:

Yes. You have to search for it (all the "media" metro things are just adverts for paid for music and films...infact 90% of the metro applications are just ad websites). But thankfully it's not a metro application, it just opens on the desktop and appears to be the same one from windows 7.

Tried it this weekend. I'd have to say though that Windows Media Center is not entirely complete. MediaBrowser won't recognize it, so it won't install it's services and custom interface in it. I'm sure the developer will get right on it as soon as he's able. I cannot live without MediaBrowser.

As for Windows 8, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. I admit at first I was like whoa, now this is different and I'd need to teach myself Windows all over again. But after an entire weekend of using it, I find myself on the Desktop far far more than in Metro. In fact, I'm never in Metro unless I need to launch something. If you frequently use a program, pin it to taskbar. It's no big deal at all. Windows 8 is snappy as hell and from cold start to Windows 8 desktop is so crazy fast on my Phenom II 720 x3 with 4gb RAM.

I hated the default full-screen Internet Explorer 10 that launches from Metro UI but I easily got rid of it by right-clicking the Metro icon and unpinning it, then going into C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and right-clicking Internet Explorer shortcut and clicking "pin to start". The one from the Star Menu program folder is the desktop version.

My other minor gripe is there's no visible Switch User or Log Out buttons. I have to CTRL-ALT-DELETE to get to it. Your average Jane and Joe won't figure that out at first.

Face it, you and I can slowly and surely figure out most of this stuff ourselves, primarily because we have been using some form of windows since W95 or even before that. But someone who has just purchased a new PC after a couple years of using W7 or even Vista (because that's what came on their HP desktop and they are not saavy enough to know how to upgrade......or they don't want to call India)......will throw up their hands in frustration and walk away from this OS, or spend hours on hold trying to talk to someone because they can't find the start button.......:rolleyes:

Actually I think average users will have an easier time with this than a lot of hardcore techies. There's nothing about Windows 8 that the average person would do on a routine basis that can't be picked up in a 10 minute video tutorial, its getting adjusted to it that will be the problem for the average person.

I don't know why everyone here thinks that Microsoft hasn't done it's homework on this. Windows 8 is most significant release of Windows ever and Sinofsky is very well aware of this and again, with is work on the Ribbon UI in Office he has experience with big UI changes in a widely deployed and popular product. In fact prior to Windows 8 Office 2007 was probably the biggest UI change ever from one version to the next in a widely deployed piece of software.

The more I use Windows 8 the more I think this will work just fine for most people. It's exactly how I felt about the Ribbon in Office when it was being labeled as a toy and too disruptive of a change and that's worked out just fine for Microsoft.

There's always going to be people who don't like Metro but I think that as lots of interesting Windows 8 devices come on line, many with touch screens and some with pens and as more Metro apps come on line, the controversy will fade and people will adjust and some will actually love it.

Thank god we have Win7 to hang on to for the next 10 years.. (turns on his XP work computer)

Same problem here, I couldn't find the main menu either. I just deleted the VM, poof gone.

All I have to say is that if thats what windows 8 looks like I'll be running windows 7 for a long.. long.. LONG time. That interface is horrible, much worse than android or ios :eek:
And after downloading the consumer preview I must say.. I don't like it much on the desktop.. for tablet use sure it would be a killer but the current metro ui slows me down too much on the desktop. the metro apps idea is great though..

I don't know what the hell I'm doing in Windows 8. I have to do a search for everything and then it pops up, and I can click on it...like Media Center. Then I went to Netflix to try that out, and it told me I had to open up Internet Explorer from the desktop. Well then why have an Internet Explorer that I can't use fully?? I kind of agree with what others have said about this being the next Vista. I don't think it will be in bugginess or anything; I just think in terms of people using it I still see people using 7 for quite a while. I can just foresee problems with game and program compatibility and Windows 8.

Luckily Win8 brings nothing to the gaming table, that I've seen, so it's more like the first version of win I'll have no problems skipping on desktops atleast.

Hey, I see now Microsoft is claiming how much better Win8 is because it uses less resources than Win7. I'm all for that and have always believed that more ram available for other uses is better but the problem I have with their position is that they claimed Vista/Win7 made better use of available ram and is why it uses so much for the system. Claiming less ram usage is better because it leaves more ram for your apps comes across as hypocritical.

Luckily Win8 brings nothing to the gaming table, that I've seen, so it's more like the first version of win I'll have no problems skipping on desktops atleast.

Windows 8 does have a good deal of optimization in it, as drivers mature I would expect it to be faster for gaming. People are looking at only the UI and Metro, there's actually a fair number of changes in Windows 8 beyond that from Windows To Go which is just cool to Storage Spaces to better power efficiency and performance optimizations. There are going to plenty of non-tablet benefits to people who learn to deal with the UI which honestly the debate is just getting silly at this point. The new UI isn't anywhere near as bad or hard to deal with as some Windows 8 bashers are making out to be, most people are going to pick it up and have no problems. But they should have faster machines with noticeable better battery life on a laptop.

Hey, I see now Microsoft is claiming how much better Win8 is because it uses less resources than Win7. I'm all for that and have always believed that more ram available for other uses is better but the problem I have with their position is that they claimed Vista/Win7 made better use of available ram and is why it uses so much for the system. Claiming less ram usage is better because it leaves more ram for your apps comes across as hypocritical.

You need to understand the claim. A system resource that requires less processing power and RAM leaves more for the caching and prefetch engine to take advantage of. Additionally, the ability to intelligently suspend code allows active applications more effective use of system resources.

The amount of crying in here is astounding. Do you people really want to stay with the crappy ass old Start Menu forever? It's as if people never want to change shit. Reminds me of one of the Judge's secretary's at the courts I used to work at. When they moved to Windows XP she wanted nothing to do with it. She kept her piece of shit Windows 98 machine around forever (while complaining about instability and performance) before finally being forced to upgrade by the higher powers for security reasons. Even then she kept the machine under her desk for 6-7years in case she needed an old file. Hell it is probably still there and I left almost a year ago. The amount of bitching we received when we rolled out the state of the art Cisco VoIP systems, to replace the old and literally dying analog system, was even more astounding because certain tasks took an extra step. Life is all about change. Deal with it!

I for one love change and I embrace it. Do I like the Metro UI? Not really. Not yet. Then again I didn't care for Vista's look or XP's look either. So I'll keep on testing, I'll give it time, and I'll probably run Windows 8 because I can. Plus, if I decide I don't like it well I can install a different shell or dual-boot into Linux and make it look however the hell I want and save Windows solely for gaming.

Here's a good write up on the complaints about the Consumer Preview. Most will go "An MS shill wrote it," and won't bother reading even though you'd probably find that Thurott is actually right on the money with pretty much everything he says.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-consumer-preview-call-common-sense-142476

You need to understand the claim. A system resource that requires less processing power and RAM leaves more for the caching and prefetch engine to take advantage of. Additionally, the ability to intelligently suspend code allows active applications more effective use of system resources.

Nope. Just watched a video with Sinorfsky introducing Win8 two days ago and he said "Win8 uses less ram so that you have more ram for your apps". Those are pretty much his words exactly. I UNDERSTAND THE CLAIM PERFECTLY as told by Mr. Sinorfsky.

The amount of crying in here is astounding. Do you people really want to stay with the crappy ass old Start Menu forever?

But it isn't crappy, it is fast and efficient, unlike Metro. Nice attempt to con us into thinking it is crappy though.

But it isn't crappy, it is fast and efficient, unlike Metro. Nice attempt to con us into thinking it is crappy though.

The Start Menu is dated and takes too damn long to get anything done so it isn't fast and efficient. I haven't touched the Start Menu since before XP except in extreme circumstances. Vista and 7 I always simply hit the windows key, type what I want and hit enter. I don't need the Start Menu and having to drill into folders to get my work done and haven't in years. Even at work with XP I just hit Win + R, type and go. Now that's fast and efficient.

The Start Menu is dated and takes too damn long to get anything done so it isn't fast and efficient. I haven't touched the Start Menu since before XP except in extreme circumstances. Vista and 7 I always simply hit the windows key, type what I want and hit enter. I don't need the Start Menu and having to drill into folders to get my work done and haven't in years. Even at work with XP I just hit Win + R, type and go. Now that's fast and efficient.

That doesn't work well with Windows 8 if you need to open something other than an app. If it's in a lower category you have to go hunting for it. <--tis my only real gripe with 8.

Back