How to power down and hot-swap hard disk with LSI raid card under Windows 7?

SonyWii

n00b
I want to build a storage server with LSI MegaRAID 9260 or LSI HBA 9211 or Adaptec RAID 5805 (no sure now), may be using some SUPERMICRO CSE-M35T-1B 5-Bay Hot-Swapable SATA HDD Enclosure or Icy Dock MB455SPF-B 5-Bays SATA II Enclosure, but I can't sure that does this HDD enclosure support power down and hot-swap hard disk with LSI raid card under Windows 7?

When I need to connect or replace a hard disk, just power down the hard disk in Windows 7 and then hot-swap this hard disk, replace a new one and connect again, just like hot-plug a USB device, can I do this?

17-121-405-S01

203452710_002.jpg

hot swap means just that, hot swap. Pull the drive, slam another in there.. nothing else doing.

hot swap means just that, hot swap. Pull the drive, slam another in there.. nothing else doing.

Does anyone try to use above 5-bay HDD enclosure?

Because I can't sure does the above enclosure can support hot-swap really. :(

I have the supermicro. Its very nice, also pretty loud. has alarms for temp and fan failure as well as activity and fail lights for all 5 drives. and hotswap works beautifully
EDIT: actually though most companies will claim that it supports howswap its really going to be your raid card or sata controller that has to support it. the enclosure is just a passthough

I have the supermicro. Its very nice, also pretty loud. has alarms for temp and fan failure as well as activity and fail lights for all 5 drives. and hotswap works beautifully
EDIT: actually though most companies will claim that it supports howswap its really going to be your raid card or sata controller that has to support it. the enclosure is just a passthough
What raid card or HBA are you using?

im using a supermicro PCIx64 8 port card and a garbage syba 4 port that uses the SI r3114 chip. both work with hot swap

Really does any enclosure not support hotswap? Its built into the connector, thats why the ground pins are a few mm longer than the others. How would an enclosure not support it?

The only reason hotswap ever doesn't work is the controller's driver is junk. Easy way to test it though, you hotswap a drive and see what happens. You cannot break anything, worst case is the OS hangs and u reboot and look for newer drives.

Really does any enclosure not support hotswap? Its built into the connector, thats why the ground pins are a few mm longer than the others. How would an enclosure not support it?

The only reason hotswap ever doesn't work is the controller's driver is junk. Easy way to test it though, you hotswap a drive and see what happens. You cannot break anything, worst case is the OS hangs and u reboot and look for newer drives.
Before hot-swap the hard disk, anything need to do to protect the data?

You haven't made your purpose clear but I'll address it either way:

If your purpose is to hotswap single drives, there's no need to get a RAID card and you should just get a regular non-raid HBA, or just plug directly into your motherboard SATA ports. In this case, you might want to get a multibay that's toolless, like the Kingwin ones, so you don't have to have a tray for each drive.

If you want to hotswap entire RAID arrays, it's not going to work with Adaptec or LSI as neither manufacturer supports "online array roaming". In other words, these cards don't support the removal of raid arrays while the system is online. You will need to instead get a Highpoint or Areca card, but I've had better experience with Highpoint in regards to online array roaming.

3ware supports it also, but I would recommend to not disable the drive cache and instead use the remove feature in the management software of the card.

You haven't made your purpose clear but I'll address it either way:

If your purpose is to hotswap single drives, there's no need to get a RAID card and you should just get a regular non-raid HBA, or just plug directly into your motherboard SATA ports. In this case, you might want to get a multibay that's toolless, like the Kingwin ones, so you don't have to have a tray for each drive.

If you want to hotswap entire RAID arrays, it's not going to work with Adaptec or LSI as neither manufacturer supports "online array roaming". In other words, these cards don't support the removal of raid arrays while the system is online. You will need to instead get a Highpoint or Areca card, but I've had better experience with Highpoint in regards to online array roaming.

Does it mean a non-raid HBA is better than a RAID card for hot-swap in Windows 7?

3ware supports it also, but I would recommend to not disable the drive cache and instead use the remove feature in the management software of the card.
3ware has the remove feature in the 3ware management software?

Because I can't find the remove feature in the LSI or Adaptec management software, so I can't confirm if I can disable or remove the hard disk before I hot-swap the drive.

What are you trying to remove? A single drive that is not part of a raid array? Swap out a bad drive from a raid array? Or swap out an entire raid array?

3ware has the remove feature in the 3ware management software?

Because I can't find the remove feature in the LSI or Adaptec management software, so I can't confirm if I can disable or remove the hard disk before I hot-swap the drive.
Yes its possible to remove Single Drives and entire Units from within the 3ware 3DM2-site (On the Maintenance page).

What are you trying to remove? A single drive that is not part of a raid array? Swap out a bad drive from a raid array? Or swap out an entire raid array?

May be a Single drive (non-raid) connect to a HBA or a Single drive (Raid 0) connect to a Raid card, so I want to know what is the difference step between to remove a single drive on a HBA and a Raid controller?

Back