How to play Bad Company 2 in Surround without CTD

Matrices

Supreme [H]ardness
Set everything to medium, HBAO off. That's it. For the rest of you who get kicked every 20 seconds - 20 minutes in the base game, this is the cure. God damn DICE/EA.

game plays fine for me in eyefinity and when I had surround. maybe your having crashes because your limited by vram.

No. That doesn't even come close to making any sense. I'm not vRAM limited in a single game I play using 2 to 4x MSAA.

Please, no "it runs fine for me so you must have a unique problem" posts. Consult Google for 10 seconds and you will see this is a widespread issue for either triple monitor tech.

Last edited:
"CTD because you have limited vram"

...Bloody pisser.

To the OP, are you running Realtek HD Audio by any chance?

I am running Realtek, no idea if it goes by the "HD" moniker though. However, since I stop getting booted from servers as soon as I change graphic options to medium, I don't know how sound could be the issue.

As far as I can the issue is due to a conflict with Realtek sound devices and BFBC2, the issue also affects ATI/AMD cards in certain configurations.

Not only does the issue go away if you drop graphics settings, it also goes away if you disable DX11

Have you got another sound card you can try that isn't Realtek based?

just guna chime in here...

Realtek HAET nvidia. Seriously. Getting a soundcard really helped solve a lot of problems with my bfbc2 :)

None of it makes sense, really. Realtek audio and graphics settings have nothing to do with one another and neither should have anything to do with getting booted out of the game in MP. But somehow it does, apparently.

Anyway, are you saying that you can run graphics on high so long as you disable onboard audio? I don't have a discrete soundcard (nothing seems worth the money except the $30 Xonar DG, which is PCI-only and won't fit now that I've got three video cards) but I'll try disabling the onboard audio just to see if that's true for me.

People are confusing the audio crashes with the Surround/Eyefinity crashes.

DICE have already confirmed they know what causes these crashes and they even mentioned they had an nVidia solution in their next patch. Unfortunately that was about 6 months ago and any patches were abandoned long ago for BF3 as it takes a ridiculous amount of work for them to create a BC2 patch for the PC.

P.S. I don't crash any more. I run it with everything on "low" with HBAO "on"

None of it makes sense, really. Realtek audio and graphics settings have nothing to do with one another and neither should have anything to do with getting booted out of the game in MP. But somehow it does, apparently.

Anyway, are you saying that you can run graphics on high so long as you disable onboard audio? I don't have a discrete soundcard (nothing seems worth the money except the $30 Xonar DG, which is PCI-only and won't fit now that I've got three video cards) but I'll try disabling the onboard audio just to see if that's true for me.

There is an ASUS Xonar USB audio adapter that might work

I have an ASUS Essence STX sound card and I still CTD too, so it's not Realtek (or at least not entirely).

There is an ASUS Xonar USB audio adapter that might work

I realized that I could get a single-slot bracket for one of the 580s I'm going to WC, thus allowing the Xonar DG to fit underneath that. The headphone amp on that thing is wicked for a $30 soundcard ($20 AR).

Check your audio device properties, make sure it's set to either "16 bit, 48000 Hz" or 24 bit, 48000 Hz"

I've seen a number of games crash at random when using higher sample rates like 96000 Hz or 192000 Hz. Might not help, but it's worth a shot.

For reference, I'm playing BF:BC2 in Eyefinity with a single HD5850 and an Asus Xonar DX sound card, no crashes.

No, the problem is with Realtek devices !

Disable sound AND NETWORK devices and it should run ok !

Already fixed 4 machines with this problem (used offboard dlink ethernet)

Disabling shit left and right is hardly what I would call a 'fix'. Personally I'd rather just turn the graphic options to medium, since that works too.

Back