How to pack a CPU to ship?

FalconSS

[H]ard|Gawd
hey all!
I'm wondering whats the best way to pack a CPU(with pins) to ship. I don't want the pins bent during shipping.

thanks!

do you have the retail box it came in?If not I would say get a box and a anti static bag.Put the cpu in the bag then in a box.Put the box into a bigger box filled with foam so it cannot rattle around inside the box to keep it safe

Get a soft, thick piece of foam and GENTLY push the CPU pins into the foam.. This will keep the pins straight and protect them during shipment.. You don't want DENSE foam, but it should be at least twice as deep in height as the pins are long, just in case any compression occurs in transit..

Yeah you're gonna want to find a piece of really soft styrofoam and sink the pins into it

thanks guys, lots of good ideas. Now if he would ever ship the processor, maybe I can see if they work...

So no foam is prone to having static issues that may kill the cpu when it is being shipped?

I usually sink mine into a water tight container filled with distilled water. Sealed with hot glue...

I started doing that when my idea of using ball bearings as padding didn't work.

I usually sink mine into a water tight container filled with distilled water. Sealed with hot glue...

I started doing that when my idea of using ball bearings as padding didn't work.

Just in case the sarcasm is lost on anyone....

DON'T DO THIS

Awwww come on! It works like a charm... The distilled water way is for the most part... plausible...

FalconSS, I have a bit of static-free foam for shipping CPUs, if you send me an envelope with a stamp and your address, I'll send it to you. PM me if you're interested.

actually, I made this thread for someone wanting to ship a processor to me. It still hasn't arrived yet, so I don't know how he packed it.

Get a soft, thick piece of foam and GENTLY push the CPU pins into the foam.. This will keep the pins straight and protect them during shipment.. You don't want DENSE foam, but it should be at least twice as deep in height as the pins are long, just in case any compression occurs in transit..
This was the packing method of choice for me.

How about putting hot glue over the pins to hold them in place and protect them, then into a softpack shipping envelope... Will that work?

I AM JUST KIDDING with this stuff.
I usually try to ship with the plastic casking that the processor comes in. I've even gone to local computer stores to get extra ones to ship my processors in because I can't find any. Most of the smaller computer stores around here build machines and have extras or ones they throw out, so even if they do charge me for them, it's only about $.50

I just put it in a ziplock bag and flush it down the toilet with their address on a notecard and hope for the best.

All kidding aside, use foam and an anti-static bag to protect the pins. It's almost impossible to kill a CPU with static, but much too easy to bend a pin so out of alignment, that upon bending it back, it snaps.

I would go to a local computer shop and ask them for empty cpu boxes. They will sell them for 5 bucks or just hand them to you for free. If intel and amd deem its good enough then IMO it should protect it well.

Just don't pack it up like this

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1362005

LOL.

But, when I ship CPU's, I just put them in a anti-static bag, which is put in a bubbled envelope, and wrap it in bubble wrap, with foam around it. My CPU's ALWAYS go in a box, full of packaging peanuts. Ain't no way in hell I'd ship in an envelope. Haven't had one issue yet ;D

Another way, but only if you have a lot of dead mobos, is to break the socket off the mobo. hahaha.

Otherwise, I've found that some foam + rubber band to hold it down to the foam, then an anti-static bag then bubble wrap works best.

I would go to a local computer shop and ask them for empty cpu boxes. They will sell them for 5 bucks or just hand them to you for free. If intel and amd deem its good enough then IMO it should protect it well.

+1 For asking at a store...

Went to Fry's once and asked the guy if they had them for sale. He asked me how many I needed and I said that I only needed one but if they had a multi-pack that I would just get that so I have some for the future. He came back a few minutes later with 4 of them and said here ya go...no charge.

Doesn't hurt to ask!

Back