How to NOT Fry a Motherboard?

Karant

Gawd
Hi there again [H]! I have been building my personal and family computers for the last 3 years, however the last 2 PC's I have tried to put together, I had ended up frying both motherboards. Are there any special suggestions you guys at [H] have on not doing any harm to any of my computer components when building a PC? Thanks!

Hi there again [H]! I have been building my personal and family computers for the last 3 years, however the last 2 PC's I have tried to put together, I had ended up frying both motherboards. Are there any special suggestions you guys at [H] have on not doing any harm to any of my computer components when building a PC? Thanks!

Keep one hand on bare metal inside the case at all times if possible.

Build on tile or hardwood, not in a room with carpet. Ground yourself before building. Make sure you don't knock things around -- chances are pretty good you didn't fry anything, but knocked some tiny surface mount component loose.

dont go touching circuits. i hold my mobo by the usb adapter metal thing for the rear panel.

I find rubbing the motherboard on a cat, or virtually any animal with fur creates the static discharge I need to build a proper computer.

The motherboard used in my signature was rubbed on a Lynx first.

I find rubbing the motherboard on a cat, or virtually any animal with fur creates the static discharge I need to build a proper computer.

Ya, lynx are the best. Speeds up your CPU by a 157.3%. :p

dont swicht anything non-hot swapable eg. PS2 ports, and i will state the obvious since noone has yet and it probably needs to be said, no liquids near or on your hands, the slightest amount of moisture can fry a system, also have sufficient power flowing to the board or the PSU might decide to die and take all your components with it. also make sure the mobo is properly grounded with no screws or loose grounds behind the mobo that could short
it out, happened to my box at my first lan party an hour into a 24 hour lan and my computer starts on fire. thats my 2 cents

One thing ive found over the years is not to use the cheapo power supplies that come with most cases.cheap power supplies can cause all kinds of power problems..Spend a little more and buy a good name brand p/supply...
plus all the above posts are good info also.....

One thing ive found over the years is not to use the cheapo power supplies that come with most cases.cheap power supplies can cause all kinds of power problems..Spend a little more and buy a good name brand p/supply...
plus all the above posts are good info also.....

This is what I thought when I first read the thread as well. I've never fried anything that didn't involve a faulty power supply. I know it's possible, but 2/3 boards? Ouch.

ESD straps are awesome. Don't build it outside in a rain, snow or anyother form of moisture falling from the sky.

Make sure you're using the standoffs in the case and that they align with the mounting holes on the motherboard.

I really highly doubt this guy's problem was static when he fried his two boards.

Apparently something wasn't done right. IE: Didn't put standoffs and shorted the back of the board. Didn't plug a a connector in right. Putting in wrong components...

Theres a multitude of things that could've gone wrong, but somehow gathering enough static to fry a motherboard, on not one but two boards is unbelievable to me.

I really highly doubt this guy's problem was static when he fried his two boards.

Apparently something wasn't done right. IE: Didn't put standoffs and shorted the back of the board. Didn't plug a a connector in right. Putting in wrong components...

Theres a multitude of things that could've gone wrong, but somehow gathering enough static to fry a motherboard, on not one but two boards is unbelievable to me.

Neither of your examples are even possible... You cant install a mobo without the standoffs it simply wont fit that way unless you rip off all the back ports on the mobo and you cant hook the power connectors up wrong they are keyed and you cannot do it wrong.

I would believe static over ripping off the I/O ports or hammering the power connectors in the wrong position. :rolleyes:

You can kill a board with too many standoffs... I did that to a free board I got once. Like has been said...

ESD wriststrap
Good PSU
Check for extra standoffs/screws under the board
Don't pick the board up by the caps or something
Don't unplug the PS2 stuff while the box is on

After that dead board = freak accident

Ya, lynx are the best. Speeds up your CPU by a 157.3%. :p

No, not really.

If you rub a motherboard on a specific type of a dog, it actually gets you a higher 159.57% speed increase. Chao/Terrier mix with a dotty tongue will do just that.

Neither of your examples are even possible... You cant install a mobo without the standoffs it simply wont fit that way unless you rip off all the back ports on the mobo and you cant hook the power connectors up wrong they are keyed and you cannot do it wrong.

I would believe static over ripping off the I/O ports or hammering the power connectors in the wrong position. :rolleyes:

Without verifying the skill of the user/installer you cannot simply 'assume' that he/she is smart enough for these scenarios to not take place.

I'm not saying that the OP is stupid, I'm simply saying that there are people who do dumb things. You've never heard of someone putting a connector (not necessarily the main power connector) on a board and shorting the shit out of it? You've never seen a motherboard put in wrong without standoffs? But you'll believe that someone can produce enough charge in their finger tips to charge a fry a motherboard? mmm ok, you're entitled to your own opinions.

Work with tech long enough and you'll see people do some strange things.

i say that you can work on carpet if you are very careful like i am, ive taken this pc in my sig apart 5 or so times in my room laying on the rug, but i set the compents on my glass desk.
So far ive only fryed one motherboard and that was my first time building when i forgot the damn standoffs

Warm Mist Humidifier... now now i know what you're thinking but hear me out lol.
Get one and keep your room 50-60%humidity which will greatly reduce the amount of static electricity in the air. Also keep a hand or arm on bare metal of the case as much as possible and always at least 1 time right before you touch a card/board. Also don't go moving around on carpet an shit (like a dog trying to clean his ass...) Hold anything electronic by the edges of the card ad for the love of god don't touch circuits/components etc lol.
my 2cents

Without verifying the skill of the user/installer you cannot simply 'assume' that he/she is smart enough for these scenarios to not take place.

I'm not saying that the OP is stupid, I'm simply saying that there are people who do dumb things. You've never heard of someone putting a connector (not necessarily the main power connector) on a board and shorting the shit out of it? You've never seen a motherboard put in wrong without standoffs? But you'll believe that someone can produce enough charge in their finger tips to charge a fry a motherboard? mmm ok, you're entitled to your own opinions.

Work with tech long enough and you'll see people do some strange things.

Ive been working on and off in the computer industry for years and have never seen anyone install a motherboard without the standoffs because its simply not possible. Cook up any scenario you want but to pull it off you would literally have to rip off all of the connectors on the rear of the board and even a retarded monkey wouldnt get that far.

As to connectors, all power connectors are either keyed or shaped in a way that its impossible to hook them up wrong without some modification not just the main ATX connector. You can hook everything else up wrong all you want but its not going to fry a motherboard.

Now as to static i have seen more than once components get roasted by static. It is rare and components can stand up to it much better than back in the day but it happens.

Ive been working on and off in the computer industry for years and have never seen anyone install a motherboard without the standoffs because its simply not possible.

So far ive only fryed one motherboard and that was my first time building when i forgot the damn standoffs

I rest my case

As to connectors, all power connectors are either keyed or shaped in a way that its impossible to hook them up wrong without some modification not just the main ATX connector. You can hook everything else up wrong all you want but its not going to fry a motherboard.

I've seen rounded off power connectors, i've seen connectors that weren't put in the right place (not necessarily power) that have shorted.

You can hook everything else up wrong all you want but its not going to fry a motherboard.

Right... :rolleyes:

No, not really.

If you rub a motherboard on a specific type of a dog, it actually gets you a higher 159.57% speed increase. Chao/Terrier mix with a dotty tongue will do just that.
See you learn something every day! Now I just need to find a Chao/Terrier mix... ;)

DO NOT:

Rinse motherboard; pat dry and then set aside.

Combine milk and eggs in a bowl; whisk to blend well.

In a large heavy-duty resealable plastic food storage bag, combine the flour, salt, and pepper.

Dip a motherboard in the milk mixture; let excess drip off into bowl.

Put motherboard in the food storage bag and shake lightly to coat thoroughly. Remove to a plate and repeat with remaining motherboards.

Heat oil to 350°. Fry motherboard for about 10 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Motherboard breasts will take a little less time than other pieces. Pierce with a fork to see if juices run clear to check for doneness. With a slotted spoon, move to paper towels to drain; sprinkle with salt.

Thanks alot for the suggestions.
Could frying a board be done by connecting the front-case panel components onto the wrong prongs/jumpers?

I've been building computer for probably a good 10 years and I have almost done it on the carpet, just because it gives me lots of workspace. I always go barefoot if possible or just socks if its cold, never wear shoes as that can isolate you and build up an electrostatic discharge.

I also touch the case before I handle a board and every so often inbetween. I have only lost one board in this manner, and I knew it when it happened and I was being careless (was a Voodoo 3 card too).

Carpet is not bad, you just have to know how to stay friendly with it.

incorrectly connecting front panel from what i understand can reverse the polarity of the USB connectors effectivley frying them so yes that may be a way to fry it, but i am not too sure.

ROFLMFAO

I will have to find a Cheetah then cause I want to be the leet speed computer builder!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if someone has tried to put in a connector the wrong way, decided that it was 'too big' and started hacking at it with a knife until they could jam it in, or something..

See you learn something every day! Now I just need to find a Chao/Terrier mix... ;)

I tried a grizzly bear in Alaska once... it got me 160.23%! but that might have just been a freak incident. I think that small hyper dogs work best, as a general rule.

Ive been working on and off in the computer industry for years and have never seen anyone install a motherboard without the standoffs because its simply not possible. Cook up any scenario you want but to pull it off you would literally have to rip off all of the connectors on the rear of the board and even a retarded monkey wouldnt get that far.

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it isn't possible, I worked at a computer shop when I was in high school (about 8 years ago now) and we sold parts to another guy who supposedly ran his own tech shop, he did just that. Screwed the Mobo directly on to the base plate connected everything, etc and then brought it back to us still installed like that wondering why it didn't work...

Edit: Not to ignore the OP, but I think all of the above suggestions have covered it. I know the issue with front audio and USB jumpers have been culprits for people that I've known, could be a problem if you're hooking those up, generally due to shoddy documentation.

wow, I just built my computer a few months ago and didn't take any special precautions that I probably should have and all is well. Maybe i'm just lucky.

I have built at least 30 computers and dissassembled at least that many and have never let me stress never fried any boards I have killed a few not fried any. remember those socket a heatsinks? how hard they were to lock in? my screw driver killed 2 of those boards 2 times I tried replacing capacitors and let us say I did nt do a good job and it was the solder that killed it not the static. I would bank on bad psu's more than anything.
That is if you let out the magic smoke otherwise it might have been something else making the system not boot.

I forgot to say I do not walk around and I ground myself to the case everytime I start to touch the electronics.

Buy one of those static wrist strap things. I had no problems with that stuff even though I built on carpet and didnt wear a wrist thingy.:D

Wear rubber gloves and don't pet the pussy........... until you finished. Then by all means go ahead and stroke it.... the pussy that is:)

Your power supply needs to be plugged into a earth ground socket for the ESD strap to do anything.

Sorry, but that isn't true. What you want is to keep your body (which has highly resistive skin, which acts like a kind of capacitor) at the same ground level as the computer case and thus the parts inside it. Touching the bare metal of the case, or connecting yourself with the case using an ESD strap both accomplish this goal because they discharge your charge into the ground plane of the case, thus raising the ground level of the case and lowering yours, making them (near) equal.

The ground level of a power outlet is generally much lower than that of a case with a disconnected PSU, but there's seriously no point to this. All it does is basically increase the possibility of you shorting out things, since your body discharges slower than the (metal!) case.

As for the OP's issue, we'd have to see pictures or so of the failed builds to see what went wrong. Else we could speculate for a few eons :p

With the standoff's in my experience its very important to have the cardboard wasters between the screws and the board. That cost me one board one time.

Back